Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Enter Access Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a chance to talk with a veteran (2.5 years) tesla technician today.... He brought my car to my office and I gave him a ride back. I asked him about the service menu and he said they (the service centers) no longer know the access code. He said they changed the code a few times but after 5 or 6 codes they stopped giving it to the service center techs. It is just for engineering now.

Kinda a bummer, it's not likely we'll get it, and if we do it is likely that they could change it on a moments notice.

Thats interesting, as someone else we know locally had door handles replaced a few weeks ago, and while doing so, they had the diag screen up on the console. He took a few pictures of it for me (no code, but just some screen shots and some video). And it was done at his home here in Milwaukee County. So ???? GPS Restricted and not being given out any longer, might be the excuse to get people to stop asking. I personally, just want access to see the battery management system, as in, see what cells are balanced and which are not. and also the power flow screen to see where the juice is going.

Thats interesting, as someone else we know locally had door handles replaced a few weeks ago, and while doing so, they had the diag screen up on the console. He took a few pictures of it for me (no code, but just some screen shots and some video). And it was done at his home here in Milwaukee County. So ???? GPS Restricted and not being given out any longer, might be the excuse to get people to stop asking. I personally, just want access to see the battery management system, as in, see what cells are balanced and which are not. and also the power flow screen to see where the juice is going.

Perhaps the rangers do still have access.. This was a tech at the Villa Park service center. Nice guy, I didn't get the feeling he was lying about access.

To be fair, most manufacturers put a button to fully disable stability control right on the dashboard, so the ability to turn it off isn't exactly going to cause people to kill themselves in it otherwise I'd be dead long ago.

Good point. It's probably not the smartest idea anyway to disable such a critical safety feature, but even if someone did, there is no way Tesla would be held accountable (and you bet they'd have the vehicle logs to prove it).

So no, I don't see the possibility of someone disabling stability control as a legitimate reason to keep these screens private.

I personally, just want access to see the battery management system, as in, see what cells are balanced and which are not. and also the power flow screen to see where the juice is going.
You won't see individual cells, cells in parallel behave as one and self balance. If one or more in a parallel group go bad you'd see a reduction in the total amp hour capacity of that group.

I would like to see the pressure on individual tires. That would be awesome.

The ability to reprogram TPMS sensors would also be useful since the Tesla SCs don't necessary want to install "aftermarket" tires anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, this is a M12 industrial ethernet connector.

Has anyone gotten their hands on an M12->RJ45 adapter and tried to login to the VCM? I'm assuming you'd need to know the right IP address and would maybe need a cross-over cable. I'm wondering if you just get a linux prompt if you manage to figure out the IP.

Good point. It's probably not the smartest idea anyway to disable such a critical safety feature, but even if someone did, there is no way Tesla would be held accountable (and you bet they'd have the vehicle logs to prove it).

So no, I don't see the possibility of someone disabling stability control as a legitimate reason to keep these screens private.

Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at. There may be dozens of other reasons why they need to be private, I don't know, but turning off stability systems isn't one of them.

Indeed, the factory ECU on my Evo can be completely reprogrammed. New fuel maps, timing, turbo PSI levels, turn signal behavior and more can be edited with nothing more than a $100 OBD-II to USB adaptor and a laptop. Mitsubishi's not getting sued when things go wrong. Tesla won't, either, and if they do they can prove you were at fault.

I think we'll eventually see them parse some of this stuff out into userland touting them as new features as the car matures.

Having done a fair amount of work in the ECU reprogramming world I can assure you that 99.99% of all the info out in the world was stolen from the manufacturer or reversed engineered by decompiling the ECU's ROM contents. I have never seen nor heard of a manufacturer willingly allowing anything in the public domain so I would not think we will see if from Tesla.

Having done a fair amount of work in the ECU reprogramming world I can assure you that 99.99% of all the info out in the world was stolen from the manufacturer or reversed engineered by decompiling the ECU's ROM contents. I have never seen nor heard of a manufacturer willingly allowing anything in the public domain so I would not think we will see if from Tesla.
Right. Didn't mean to imply it was factory-supported. I was more thinking towards the fact that eventually someone's probably going to figure out how to get us in there.

There is now a "grasshopper" mode, whatever that means!

Grasshopper mode is when the car lights it's main thrusters to try to jump over road debris. Not quite working at the moment--the thrusters tend to light a bit late in the process, but Musk & Co. say they know what the problem is and it'll work the next time.

Also lots of other features which look legit but my original thread where I posted the image is gone presumably because this thread exists and also the image itself is gone from the original poster. However someone else put the image here:
http://i.imgur.com/U0a8wjOh.jpg
Anyway it has the basic features which Tesla is missing like blind spot detection, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.

Tesla needs to expose some of this diagnostic info to the driver. Things like tire pressure and BMS info should be available via an advanced menu. Roadster owners have had access to this info all along. Makes sense that the MS ought to be on par.