TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Please explain Founders, Signature, Signature Special, Roadster and Production

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NEWDL, Jul 2, 2012.

1. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

Personally I am looking for clarification on the signature special and where this designation came from.

I do think officially explaining these designations in one location is an important detail.

Can someone shed some light on SS for me?

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#2 brianman, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    Sounds like a great question for the FAQ. ;)

AnOutsider's post covers it well enough.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

• Founders are the cars bought by insiders (board members, investors etc)
    • Signature Special is for the roadster friends and family that ordered a signature S
    • Signature is the first 1,000 (in the US) cars off the line. They have a couple options lower-tiered cars won't
    • Roadster friends and family production is for cars that are normal production run, but part of the roadster friends and family "program". They will be delivered before normal production
    • production is, of course, all other "normal" cars. The first one of these should be delivered around November-December

Unless Tesla introduces some other special series into the mix (aside from performance), all cars starting in 2013 should be normal production cars.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

There are a number of threads where this is discussed - here is one of many posts about it: Model S Reservation and Delivery Tally

Special Signature is the designation for Roadster owners who reserved a Signature Model S - and it put them at the front of the Signature line.

But if you want an "official" explanation as you request, you need to go to Tesla Motors for that. :)

5. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

As a roadster owner with sig #26 reservation I would be in SS or in front of SS group? I would assume sig before sig special in terms of production order...

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Sig Special got their configuration ("final") paperwork before regular Sig folks. Therefore the deliveries are also expected to happen with Sig Special before regular Sig.

7. jimbakker666

jimbakker666 Member

Off-topic, would love to hear when you take delivery of that vehicle NEWDL since you are so low in the queue that it should be very soon.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#8 dsm363, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Are you reconsidering the Model S now? I remember you being very angry at Tesla and canceling your reservation. Good to see people coming back.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You would be a Sig Special since you ordered your Model S as a Roadster owner so that is before the 'regular' Signature customers.

10. jimbakker666

jimbakker666 Member

#10 jimbakker666, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    I'm not happy with the way the S was marketed a year ago, but Tesla can always redeem themselves to me going forward. Even the sleaziest televangelist on the planet (and whose zombified followers eventually threatened me) can redeem himself, what the hell I'm a fair guy. So it might take a little while, but if Tesla abides by what I consider honest marketing/company practices, they can still win me back. I hope they do!

Besides that, I'm very interested to hear feedback from the Model S trailblazers after they've taken ownership. I want Tesla to succeed with the S and beyond (and do it the right way) so I too can own my very own spacecraft ;)

11. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

#11 aviators99, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
    Something about your handle leads me to believe he isn't "fully" redeemed. ;-)