Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please fix the curb rash risk on Model Y !

Should Tesla fix the curb rash issue ?

• Yes

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • No

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 10 cars before Tesla I never experienced curb rash, probably because the tires were wider than the rims. If I touched a curb it was the tire with no damage.

With my Mod S and again with my Mod 3 I have had curb rash incidents just by slightly touching a curb that is not visible. Yes, i know I can be more careful, blah, blah, and I am. This issue ads time and stress unnecessarily to the Tesla driving experience.

I want to replace my M3 with an MY .. but PLEASE Tesla fix this simple issue. Either make the tires wider, the rims narrower, or let AP prevent a curb touch.

( The early Mod Y pics look like they will have the same issue )

Watch what you wish for. Yes it almost always is the passenger rear tire, I suspect it’s because the car has such tight cornering. We have 3 model3s. Our 3 drivers each did it once to our first one and in 18 months never again. Just need to get used to it. It’s better than damaging the side wall of the tire which frequently results in a dangerous blow out risk at highway speeds and requires immediate replacement of the tire

It’s don’t think we should pass the fix automatically to the manufacturer. My prior Audi’s and BMWs did this as well. The best suggestion is a wider tire with rim protection built in or those ugly rim savers as previously mentioned.

Every manufacturer chooses both rim width and tire width with the aim to balance economy and performance.

"It just happens" because the rim is wider than the tire. Most cars including MB, BMW, Lexus, Aston Martin and more the tires are wider then the rims. I don't believe a 1/4 inch is going to impact handing or aerodynamics. Given the Model Y is positioned as an SUV it should mean it can handle imperfect roads and more forgiving with curbs.

It's a simple fix that Tesla should do before shipping Model Y and not rely on a customer needing to buy different tires or rim protectors.

@pdx .. I do know how to drive thanks.. zero accidents in 30+ years. In 6 years, curb rash happened once on my S and twice on my 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: hollow23
"It just happens" because the rim is wider than the tire. Most cars including MB, BMW, Lexus, Aston Martin and more the tires are wider then the rims. I don't believe a 1/4 inch is going to impact handing or aerodynamics. Given the Model Y is positioned as an SUV it should mean it can handle imperfect roads and more forgiving with curbs.

It's a simple fix that Tesla should do before shipping Model Y and not rely on a customer needing to buy different tires or rim protectors.

@pdx .. I do know how to drive thanks.. zero accidents in 30+ years. In 6 years, curb rash happened once on my S and twice on my 3.

It happens because you drove your wheels into the curb... Easy solution, don’t drive into curbs! I can’t tell you how many curbed up wheels I see even with tires that protrude past the wheel. I haven’t nicked a curb in at least 5 years and all of them have had wheels that stick out further than the tire like Teslas (and many other cars).

Before taking delivery, I noticed that the rims stuck out more than the tire. But if the Model Y gets a slightly wider tire on the same rim then this was likely the plan all along. Fewer parts, lower costs.

IF Tesla was to supply wider tires in the Model Y, I will be happy.. The problem is the early photos of Mod Y look like the tires are narrower, the same as Model 3.

@pdx to clarify, its happed to me twice in tight parking spots where the curb alongside is not visible or warning from parking sensors. Once this happens then you get paranoid about touching a curb. It takes away from the otherwise great experience of driving a Tesla.

The Y will likely have the exact same rims as the 3.

If you are afraid of damaging yours because... well... accidents happen, then you may wish to install alternate rims and tires that give you that extra margin of error.

Either way, it will cost you.

LEARN HOW TO DRIVE. The problem isn’t the wheels and tires, it’s your driving.

There are handling and aerodynamic reasons for Tesla’s wheel and tire width choices on the 3.

Drive in a dense urban area with narrow streets and we will see how many times your car gets cracked up after you park it because you did not jam it up against the curb.

So easy to just insult people...

Drive in a dense urban area with narrow streets and we will see how many times your car gets cracked up after you park it because you did not jam it up against the curb.

So easy to just insult people...

I live in downtown Portland. Curbs are everywhere. Just tired of Tesla owners conflating general vehicle problems as Tesla-specific problems. It gets old.