Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please give me a quick sanity check on my Model 3 purchase plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've read the forum quite a bit but I sometimes get lost in the details/aging of the posts and conflicting info over time, so I’m compiling my thinking in one place and just asking for anyone to punch holes/offer suggestions. I realize, throughout lots of posts I’ve read something on every one of these, but I was organizing myself and just thought it might be great to drop the plan here and see if anyone thinks I’m headed in the wrong direction or missed something.

I pre-ordered a 3 around announcement and cancelled after the launch edition was not priced like I had hoped. I assumed they would never actually achieve the base model I desired, but now that they have, I'm back.

Basic info: I live in a moderately cold area (average winter temps 20-30F) and summers rarely reach 100F. I'm a car hobby person and I have 5 cars for two drivers (and a lot of dogs). Two of those cars are show/specialty cars, one is summer only, and two are year-around utility bread and butter vehicles used for work commutes and around town. I'm handing in one of those two cars I had on a lease and purchasing a Model 3 to replace. I have a two car garage, one of my show cars stays offsite and the garage typically houses the other show car and my fun summer car. My 2 transportation vehicles live outside year around at this time. I commute 35 miles each way to work, my wife commutes under 10 miles each way. I cannot even remember the last time I drove more than 75 miles to a destination. We hardly ever road trip but when we do, we go to a hobby convention where we fill an entire truck with gear, so I may in fact never road trip with the M3. Targeted ownership length is 8 years. I put dedicated snow tires on every car I've driven in the winter for 15+ years. I do my own car maintenance and enjoy it.

My targeted configuration is a RWD SR+. I live a few hundred miles from a dealer. Here's the plan:

*We test drove the 3 (SR+), no worries at all, we liked it. Would have loved a slightly better stereo but overall the experience was more than fun and suitable for how we intend to use it.

*Have a referral code in hand from a family member (1000 miles of supercharging).

*Order in early to mid-may for my choice of colors and interior and whatnot. 18" Aero is fine, SR+ as I said. I expect to charge to 80 or 90%, keep it in range, try to bottom out around 20% but never be afraid to fill up when needed because of battery warranty being at 8yr/120,000 miles battery over 70%. Timing of order is designed to get delivery pre 6/30 for tax incentive in the US. If delivery times on this car unexpectedly increase, I would seek out inventory at a store. Right now there’s over a half a dozen in range of my current dealer that I would like, but I know they come and go.

*Take delivery at a store so I can inspect build and spot any potential issues and get scheduled for quick resolution and get some seat tours of the car.

*Screw around now grabbing items like floor mats, trays, USB hub, high-duty cycle storage card for dash-cam captures, phone cables, center console wraps in prep for delivery. Read a lot and just get excited about it in general. Read through checklists published here so I can be through at pickup but I’m not one to be overboard about perfection, but will ask for visible issues to be addressed.

*Installing a wall connector in my driveway under a small overhang and a NEMA 14-50 in my garage sharing a new 50A circuit. I have capacity/pricing on install already. I will charge outside during the night, the outlet is just there is in case I decide to move it inside or rare/special circumstances. I expect to need pre-heat to de-ice doors, handles, and for battery health/range during days below freezing (32F). Have a off-peak/on-peak pricing option available from my electric company that they will implement for me. I could move my other show car off site for the winter (at a cost) and move the M3 inside all winter. I believe from what I’m read that pre-heat when plugged in to charger won’t eat battery and should work fine in these temps, even as low as 0F. Can change after the first winter depending on how it goes.

*I have a friend who details cars for a living and has a good film guy – he’s booked some time for me in July to go over the paint, probably film the front bumper, headlights and fogs and then make any decisions about coatings or anything else. I use his services on my other cars and we may do very little or a lot, he has other customers with X and S models, so I have a great resource here.

*Already exploring plugshare, found free 2hr chargers near my favorite lunch place, lots of options at and near my workplace actually. Better than I expected.

*Order wheel/snow tire set in the summer before demand raises up too high, either buy wheels/covers from Tesla or the full set offered on the store. Have it ready to go!

*Love autopilot that comes with the SR+ for boring work commutes, might have actually bought it before it was included, so not upset. With no big road-tripping FSD is not exciting to me at all, but will be glad to know I can pay (higher prices) for it if I decide I want it someday. Between that and the heated fronts, I’m actually not unhappy with what’s offered with the SR+, I’ve compared to the SR and would still pay for the SR+ config personally. Disappointed you can't lane change with enhanced autopilot, but not $5,000 worth of disappointed.

*Insurance over the lease turn in will be about an extra $25/month. I can live with that.

*Buy a pizza for my mobile service person at first opportunity.

*Drive it at every opportunity.

Do I have it covered? Anything else that needs to be on my list d you think?

I do really appreciate any feedback and you taking the time to read! The knowledge here is fantastic, I hope I've managed to capture everything I have learned while lurking.

All looks pretty good- though if you can afford to order NOW you reduce the risk of having to worry about missing the 6/30 tax credit cutoff- especially if you're unlucky and find issues with the car they initially try and deliver to you.