Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help! “Vehicle Connection Error”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, first test for the TiVo issue is to turn off the car wifi and reboot.

Got interrupted there... I rely doubt the car is the cause of the TiVo issue, but the easy test is to remove the car from the network. Unless there’s a vpn on the network that the car’s vpn is overriding, and I know the TiVo doens’t use a vpn, it talks directly to the TiVo servers.

I suspect the TiVo problem is completely separate, for whatever reason. I have the same sort of setup with the Verizon MOCA network for the TiVos and using Orbi’s for everything else (WiFi and cabled). No issues at all (car is on Orbi guest).

Last edited:
unfortunately my car is 10’000+ km away - posted because Tesla SC had no solution but “someone opening the car and checking if the internet is ok”...
I hope the car is still charging(?)
Good to read that I am not alone :cool:!

Not sure if your issue was completely resolved for you, or if it is similar to what I have experienced. Sylvia is a 2014 regular 85 with no AP functionality. I have periodically had issues connecting to Sylvia, sometimes it is at the house, sometimes it is when at a supercharger, or other times just when parked in a parking lot while shopping and I want to turn the heat or AC on.
The old App when I would have connection problems would state to ensure you had the car set for Always Connected under energy saving. Basically the car would go to sleep and couldn't be reached. I've had it where the app would say "Waking Car". If the car didn't wake soon enough the App would fail to open. I upgraded to the newer App in December, the old App started failing and shutting down every time I tried to open it. The newer App does occasionally show "waking car" but it doesn't provide any information about checking the settings in the car.
Of note, I've found mine does this more frequently if it is at times that I don't regularly access the car. Since I check the car every night before I go to bed between 9 and 10 pm, it normally works then, but if I don't check it till 11, it will error out.

Right, first test for the TiVo issue is to turn off the car wifi and reboot.

Got interrupted there... I rely doubt the car is the cause of the TiVo issue, but the easy test is to remove the car from the network. Unless there’s a vpn on the network that the car’s vpn is overriding, and I know the TiVo doens’t use a vpn, it talks directly to the TiVo servers.

I suspect the TiVo problem is completely separate, for whatever reason. I have the same sort of setup with the Verizon MOCA network for the TiVos and using Orbi’s for everything else (WiFi and cabled). No issues at all (car is on Orbi guest).
Hey, you are right. All the issue was with the TiVo was my cable had been chewed at the street hub by fire ants and the tech replaced that part of it and another issue was, after repairing that and getting the signal back to its original state (it was severely lowered by the cable being exposed as it was) THEN my signal was WAY too high <sigh> so, the technician worked to get that back in the normal range, (not too strong, not too weak) and everything was good. Some other issues I worked on were the MoCA connection and some trouble shooting on my own. NOW, my question for YOU is: Since I have had to use a repeater I just purchased to get this WiFi signal to my garage, last night I was reading on some forum that I should get the Tesla its own "guest" network so it's not competing with other devices in my home for its signal. Is that relatively easy to do? I know I see most of my adjacent neighbors do have "guest" networks for one reason or another but I haven't ever done that before with my Comcast gateway. I am sure I can call Comcast but it's a hit or miss with their customer service, mostly it's a "MISS" since I know more than a lot of them, unfortunately. I will try that to see if it works but I was having issues getting the signal in the garage AFTER the technician lowered my WAY TOO HIGH signal but finally got it connected yesterday after pairing the extender with the router/gateway again. Also, it doesn't help that it appears from what I read last night that the WiFi antenna is on the passenger's side in the mirror....I would have to back into my garage in order to have that side closer to the entrance to our home. Arggggghhhhhhh...."THIRD WORLD PROBLEMS." Thank you for your advice and your response. It sounds like you know what you are talking about like just about everyone on this great and oh so helpful forum! THANK YOU!

then you need to educate yourself about your vehicle and wifi standards before you will be able to understand what is going on with your lack of connection . . .

It's really not the job of the car forum to do that.

Well, thank you so much for your imperious and useless response.
My suggestion to you is, if you have nothing of substance to say in response to a question by someone not nearly as technically savvy and intelligent as you appear to be, then perhaps you should just resist the urge to respond and skip over someone like me who is asking for advice especially when you feel we are not using this forum properly. I personally do not have the time nor desire to read peremptory responses like yours. Have a nice day!
:D

Reactions: Lu Ann and dcmetro
What many have done, especially those that need Moca for Tivos, is use another Wifi source. I have the Verizon Fios router (the original one that's a POS), but have never use its Wifi. I used Apple Extreme Base Station for years, and recently switch to Orbi (one master, and one satellite) in order to get things like a guest network, etc.

So, the point is that you may want to get another Wifi solution and connect that to your Comcast router in bridge mode, which extends your same network, but lets you do what you want on the Wifi, such as a Guest network, etc. Some say Orbi isn't the best answer since the Guest network isn't totally isolated, but it does route your car and other items (thermostat, Kindle, refrigerator?) that don't need or want to talk to the inside network, and just need to get to the Internet.

Of course, if you use another Wifi Access Point, be sure to turn off the Wifi on the Comcast router!

Hope that helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: CBPfromTN
Hey, you are right. All the issue was with the TiVo was my cable had been chewed at the street hub by fire ants and the tech replaced that part of it and another issue was, after repairing that and getting the signal back to its original state (it was severely lowered by the cable being exposed as it was) THEN my signal was WAY too high <sigh> so, the technician worked to get that back in the normal range, (not too strong, not too weak) and everything was good. Some other issues I worked on were the MoCA connection and some trouble shooting on my own. NOW, my question for YOU is: Since I have had to use a repeater I just purchased to get this WiFi signal to my garage, last night I was reading on some forum that I should get the Tesla its own "guest" network so it's not competing with other devices in my home for its signal. Is that relatively easy to do? I know I see most of my adjacent neighbors do have "guest" networks for one reason or another but I haven't ever done that before with my Comcast gateway. I am sure I can call Comcast but it's a hit or miss with their customer service, mostly it's a "MISS" since I know more than a lot of them, unfortunately. I will try that to see if it works but I was having issues getting the signal in the garage AFTER the technician lowered my WAY TOO HIGH signal but finally got it connected yesterday after pairing the extender with the router/gateway again. Also, it doesn't help that it appears from what I read last night that the WiFi antenna is on the passenger's side in the mirror....I would have to back into my garage in order to have that side closer to the entrance to our home. Arggggghhhhhhh...."THIRD WORLD PROBLEMS." Thank you for your advice and your response. It sounds like you know what you are talking about like just about everyone on this great and oh so helpful forum! THANK YOU!

Where is your repeater and how strong of a signal are you getting? I'd say first priority is getting the strongest signal possible before worrying about a guest network. I have my repeater right next to my garage for maximum signal in the garage. Also, if you broadcast the repeater with a different SSID than your other network, it can help isolate your Tesla from the other devices although not like if you set up a dedicated guest network.

• Helpful
Reactions: CBPfromTN
Where is your repeater and how strong of a signal are you getting? I'd say first priority is getting the strongest signal possible before worrying about a guest network. I have my repeater right next to my garage for maximum signal in the garage. Also, if you broadcast the repeater with a different SSID than your other network, it can help isolate your Tesla from the other devices although not like if you set up a dedicated guest network.
Thank you so much! I am on the phone with Comcast right now and they're trying to figure out how to connect to another network but they aren't tech support and don't seem to want to let me talk to tech support. Right now, I do have my repeater very near the garage and my car is actually getting a full signal finally but I believe that now that it's able to connect, it is interfering with other devices on the same network. A work in progress but I'll get it eventually! Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it! cbp

What many have done, especially those that need Moca for Tivos, is use another Wifi source. I have the Verizon Fios router (the original one that's a POS), but have never use its Wifi. I used Apple Extreme Base Station for years, and recently switch to Orbi (one master, and one satellite) in order to get things like a guest network, etc.

So, the point is that you may want to get another Wifi solution and connect that to your Comcast router in bridge mode, which extends your same network, but lets you do what you want on the Wifi, such as a Guest network, etc. Some say Orbi isn't the best answer since the Guest network isn't totally isolated, but it does route your car and other items (thermostat, Kindle, refrigerator?) that don't need or want to talk to the inside network, and just need to get to the Internet.

Of course, if you use another Wifi Access Point, be sure to turn off the Wifi on the Comcast router!

Hope that helps!

Thank you and that does make sense! If I weren't having these issues with TiVo and the low signal now, I think I would be ok. Actually this morning when I looked in my car, I actually had a full WiFi signal and I was stunned. Then my husband told me his TiVo in the basement wasn't getting much of a WiFi signal (and all this time I thought it was supposed to be getting it's signal from the MoCA connection....) This is absolutely making me crazy! I may end up having to just break down, admit that I wasted my $1000+ 3 years ago purchasing all new TiVo equipment and just get Comcast out here, have them set up their X1 system and just forget the TiVo even though I am already paying over $200 a month to Comcast for Cable TV, internet and phone even owning my own equipment!
Anyway, thanks for the information and it was very helpful. I'll get this....it's just the internet that is wonky right now!!! Thank you and have a good weekend!

Hey, you are right. All the issue was with the TiVo was my cable had been chewed at the street hub by fire ants and the tech replaced that part of it and another issue was, after repairing that and getting the signal back to its original state (it was severely lowered by the cable being exposed as it was) THEN my signal was WAY too high <sigh> so, the technician worked to get that back in the normal range, (not too strong, not too weak) and everything was good. Some other issues I worked on were the MoCA connection and some trouble shooting on my own. NOW, my question for YOU is: Since I have had to use a repeater I just purchased to get this WiFi signal to my garage, last night I was reading on some forum that I should get the Tesla its own "guest" network so it's not competing with other devices in my home for its signal. Is that relatively easy to do? I know I see most of my adjacent neighbors do have "guest" networks for one reason or another but I haven't ever done that before with my Comcast gateway. I am sure I can call Comcast but it's a hit or miss with their customer service, mostly it's a "MISS" since I know more than a lot of them, unfortunately. I will try that to see if it works but I was having issues getting the signal in the garage AFTER the technician lowered my WAY TOO HIGH signal but finally got it connected yesterday after pairing the extender with the router/gateway again. Also, it doesn't help that it appears from what I read last night that the WiFi antenna is on the passenger's side in the mirror....I would have to back into my garage in order to have that side closer to the entrance to our home. Arggggghhhhhhh...."THIRD WORLD PROBLEMS." Thank you for your advice and your response. It sounds like you know what you are talking about like just about everyone on this great and oh so helpful forum! THAN

Hope that helps!
]]

Also, Boaterva, I will look into the Orbi as well. I've not heard of that too much except lately I keep hearing the name. Must look into that! Thanks!

I looked up orbi and it looks cool and very similar to the system I use. I haven’t done any real research on the pros and cons of either system, but the one I’m speaking of is called Eero. So far for me (I have an older and long narrow house) it has done very well. You can add ‘beacons’ that you plug in to an outlet to reach further and further. Again, I’m sure there are plenty of systems out there that work great, but I’ve had good success with Eero. At the least it’s another option for you to look into. (FYI, it does connect to my Tesla). Regardless, it sounds like some kind of WiFi extension system would be benificial for your situation, I was amazed by the speed improvements and regretted not doing it sooner. Good luck!

I am DONE with TiVo. I have had it for over 17 years but the cable card issues are too much for me. I am now installing Xfinity X-1 in my home and I will simply put my iPad Air2 in the car, use it as a HOT-SPOT, tethering it to my Tesla and get the updates that way. Ridiculous but necessary. One other thing. Xfinity has told me that they will be coming out with "PODS" that are essentially 3 WiFi extenders that they SELL but do not RENT and have been tested in Boston and one other city and are excellent for spreading the WiFi in larger homes. I will get that when it comes out in May.