Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help - 2014 MS Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My battery replacement experience has been a nightmare. My 2014 MS P85 completely shut down. I got several BMS warning postmortem. Had the car serviced and the diagnosis was water in the HV batter fuse cover. Paid $2,149 to have HV battery removed from the car, test run to assess the heath of the HV battery, replace the fuse, ski rails and the low voltage battery. I was told the battery checked out good - no internal water leakage, good isolation checks and no secondary failures present. After driving the car for about two weeks, the battery’s range started dropped significantly (from 250 to 220 miles). I eventually made a service appointment for the reduced range. Two days later the car shut down again. Remote diagnostics pointed to a SOC imbalance and a battery replacement was needed. Was quoted $15k for a reman 85 kWh battery. I was told the new battery would have equivalent or better performance to the old battery and it would come with a 4yr/50k mile warranty. At this point, I am thinking fix the car and sell it for an upgrade. I asked if the battery warranty was transferable to a new owner. SC said, “they would need to have proof of service”. I asked, “Can’t Tesla connect the car VIN with the battery warranty.” SC said that would be a violation of privacy. In other words, they would not volunteer the information in hopes the new buyer would pay for the replacement. This speaks to the type of company we’re dealing with here. The replacement battery finally arrived, and I received another message from the SC saying they had to replace the ski rails and the low voltage battery at an additional cost of $500. These were the same parts I replaced two months ago. WTF? My reply – “NO”. SC said they had to replace the ski rails because the new battery doesn’t work with the old rails. I finally got the car back and the 100% range is only 244 miles and they gave me a reman 70 kWh battery, not the 85 kWh battery I was quoted. I am considering how far to take my displeasure. Question: Could the SC have damaged the battery when removed the first time? Is a 70 kWh battery equivalent or better than an 85 kWh battery? I know the 70 kWh battery was made in 2015 and it’s a year newer. Will that make up for 15 missing kWhs? What’s the longevity of a 70 kWh battery compared to 85 kWh? Any thoughts?

FYI-If your car still has Free Supercharging for life, and you buy a new S or X, you can get 6 Years of free supercharging on the new car.
If you aren't getting a new S or X, you might find a decent market for selling due to the new incentive.

The battery label says 70 kWh and part number agrees. 1088999-00-B. Decoding the serial number says made in 2015. T15E0085861R1
One thing that doesn't seem right about this label is that a reman battery label should have 01 at the end of the part number: -01-B. So I would question whether the label itself is accurate - maybe they somehow missed producing the label for the reman pack, and what you're looking at may be the original label from battery housing that they're reusing?

One thing that doesn't seem right about this label is that a reman battery label should have 01 at the end of the part number: -01-B. So I would question whether the label itself is accurate - maybe they somehow missed producing the label for the reman pack, and what you're looking at may be the original label from battery housing that they're reusing?

I agree. It just doesn’t add up. Here’s the label

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 656
I agree. It just doesn’t add up. Here’s the label
Yah.... Somethin is way off here.
If you don't have it already, get yourself an CAN BUS adapter, and Bluetooth Adapter and download TM-SPY or Scan My Tesla apps to see more battery information.

https://amzn.to/3Lu4cEX Tesla to OBD Adapter for 2012-2015
https://amzn.to/414MBcq Bluetooth adapter or TM-SPY
https://amzn.to/3LwUzFL Bluetooth Adapter for ScanMyTesla on Android

definitely though you need a verification of what is actually in your car. Can you post a copy of your service invoice with your personal info blacked out?

Based on @tjv85 info,

(1) car died,
(2) Tesla Service Center (TSC) said you need out of warranty replacement pack,
(3) owner signed off on reman 85 kWh for $15k which includes tax and labor
(4) TSC installed 70 kWh without owner's knowledge AND charged $15k,
(5) owner realized something was amiss based on
a. max 100% charge of around 230ish mile and
b. replacement pack label clearly indicates 70 kWh.

To me, pretty straightforward course of action - hey TSC, I paid/authorized 85 and you gave me 70. Now make it right. Hope that's what happens.

Lastly, TSC in effect devalued owner's car by installing 70. All things being equal, if owner was to sell his car now, he'd probably be down $3k-$5k from a 85 to 70.

Based on @tjv85 info,

(1) car died,
(2) Tesla Service Center (TSC) said you need out of warranty replacement pack,
(3) owner signed off on reman 85 kWh for $15k which includes tax and labor
(4) TSC installed 70 kWh without owner's knowledge AND charged $15k,
(5) owner realized something was amiss based on
a. max 100% charge of around 230ish mile and
b. replacement pack label clearly indicates 70 kWh.

To me, pretty straightforward course of action - hey TSC, I paid/authorized 85 and you gave me 70. Now make it right. Hope that's what happens.

Lastly, TSC in effect devalued owner's car by installing 70. All things being equal, if owner was to sell his car now, he'd probably be down $3k-$5k from a 85 to 70.

Clear case of fraud. @tjv85, you gotta file that complaint with your Attorney General.

If you don't do it, they're going to keep doing it to other customers.

Last edited:
Yah.... Somethin is way off here.
If you don't have it already, get yourself an CAN BUS adapter, and Bluetooth Adapter and download TM-SPY or Scan My Tesla apps to see more battery information.

https://amzn.to/3Lu4cEX Tesla to OBD Adapter for 2012-2015
https://amzn.to/414MBcq Bluetooth adapter or TM-SPY
https://amzn.to/3LwUzFL Bluetooth Adapter for ScanMyTesla on Android

definitely though you need a verification of what is actually in your car. Can you post a copy of your service invoice with your personal info blacked out?
Appreciate everyone's help.
Oddly, I approved this invoice on Friday. Tesla, said it would take 2 weeks to get the battery and repair the car. I had the car towed to the SC on Sunday. On Monday (the next day) they said the car was ready and I owed more money.

Attachments

• Invoice pg1.png
    Invoice pg1.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Invoice pg2.png
    Invoice pg2.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Invoice pg3.png
    Invoice pg3.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 308
Reactions: TuMadre1337
Appreciate everyone's help.
Oddly, I approved this invoice on Friday. Tesla, said it would take 2 weeks to get the battery and repair the car. I had the car towed to the SC on Sunday. On Monday (the next day) they said the car was ready and I owed more money.

So you paid it and you now have your car back but it's with a 70 pack. Clear case of fraud, you paid for an 85 but they installed a 70.

Contact the Ohio Board of Motor Vehicle Repair and tell them your situation. They should be able to tell you your options.

HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT
Any person may file a complaint. The Board policy is that all complaints must be made in writing and should contain sufficient factual evidence to indicate a clear violation of the registration law. Please complete the Formal Complaint Form. Include with the complaint as much factual evidence as possible, including documents, contracts and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of potential witnesses. Any documents received will not be returned. Virtually all materials within the Board office (including complaints) are public records. Complaints can be mailed or delivered to:

Ohio Board of Motor Vehicle Repair
Attention: Board Investigator
77 South High Street, 16th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215

After you file a complaint you will receive written confirmation from the Board that your complaint was received. The Board's enforcement staff will determine if further investigation is required. The respondent is often sent a copy of the complaint and given 20 days to respond to the allegation. If the respondent is unwilling to cooperate or the allegation requires the Board's attention, the complaint is presented to the Board and a formal investigation is opened.

• Love
Reactions: TuMadre1337

I don't think that is true. As I don't think the middle port of the part number, he "-00-" or "-01-" has anything to do with if it is a reman or not. (That position seems to normally be related to versions of the part for other regions.) The label clearly calls out that it is a reman pack.

However, I think the "R1" on the end of her serial number indicates that it has been remanufactured once.