Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help! About to configure but I don't know if I should upgrade to the 19" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha...We all lean toward hearing the negative but I believe you won't hear much from the folks that have no issues because they have nothing to complain about. I did read just like yourself and when we went to delivery center looked for all the issues people were having and we found none with our car. The only negative I have had is the phone app and as of today neither my wife's or my phone will not connect so I was going to call and ask there suggestions. What I have found on this Forum which I love is that some have a tendency to Complain about everything sounding like a bunch of Whiners! The car is Awesome and no its not like there more expensive cars but its a heck of a lot fun to drive!!:)
Excellent, thank you!!!

I had the same issue. Do I get the regular wheels or upgrade. I decided to go with the 19 upgrade, I spoke to a Tesla sales rep the biggest difference is The 19 wheels will Handle better , you will have to change the tires sooner than the 18. But they sure look better

Reactions: vicky3269
Yes, went with the 19s for looks alone but, they do handle very well too (never drove a 3 with 18s so, can't really compare).

Don't worry about quality; there may be hiccups here and there but, Tesla will do right by you. The Dublin service center is not far from you.

(Footnote: good to see a Castro Valley resident on here; owned our first home there in Palomares Hills several years ago!)

Keep in mind the difference here is only half an inch of sidewall height...not a whole lot. The Model S was 19" base and 21" for the upgrade rim...a full inch of sidewall height difference. Given the heavier S rides on 19s, I wouldn't sweat it on the 3... they certainly look considerably nicer (even after the hubcaps are removed on the 18s).

I thought the smaller wheels would provide a better ride and cheaper tires. But now I read a post from someone who owns 2 model 3s - one with 18s and one with 19s - and he says the ride is almost the same. And I read another post saying the tire prices were nearly the same as well. So the only differences might be range and longevity.

Having reading so many posts on this topic and also in reddit.

I will not try to put the cover on for long distance and pull the cover off for daily commute. Specially the centre piece "T" sign will be hard to pull off while you need put the cover back on.

So I believe that I will go with upgraded 19"..

I took delivery of my Model 3 last week with 18” wheels and aero covers. I also have a Model X (90D). The Model 3 handles like a sports car and looks great with the aero covers. It gets significantly better range per watt (if that is a correct unit of measure) than the X, obviously due to the weigh and size differences. Range matters!

Haha...We all lean toward hearing the negative but I believe you won't hear much from the folks that have no issues because they have nothing to complain about. I did read just like yourself and when we went to delivery center looked for all the issues people were having and we found none with our car. The only negative I have had is the phone app and as of today neither my wife's or my phone will not connect so I was going to call and ask there suggestions. What I have found on this Forum which I love is that some have a tendency to Complain about everything sounding like a bunch of Whiners! The car is Awesome and no its not like there more expensive cars but its a heck of a lot fun to drive!!:)

Turn off "walk up unlock." Reboot your phones and the car. Then, just touch your door handle to unlock.

Thanks... I think I have it figured out by restarting my phone, seems to work.
For what it's worth, I've programmed apps for Bluetooth on both iOS and Android, and I'll be turning OFF the walk up to unlock feature. (Note: I've heard it may have been removed as a feature for now anyway.)

If you want to hear a little off-topic technical detail, which is NOT interesting to most people, I know, read on.

The design of Bluetooth has always made certain assumptions about usage. These assumptions don't cover every edge case. Most notably, they assume that you will connect to a device and then stay within range during usage. This covers 98% of Bluetooth products, which are mostly related to audio. While Bluetooth does disconnect gracefully if you walk out of range, it doesn't always behave as well if you hover around the fringes of reception. Buried in various places in the stack are certain timeouts and retry limits that developers do NOT have access to that can "lock out" the app or the car and prevent further communication (until a reboot or network reset of either or both ends).

Bluetooth messages are transacted. Using iOS as an example, when your phone sends a message to the car ("Hey. You up?"), the car is expected to acknowledge receiving that message, THEN reply in another transaction (which your phone then acknowledges). But due to asymmetries in reception and transmission, it's possible for one end of this conversation to hear the question, but the other end can't hear the acknowledgement. If the app is written "optimistically" (i.e. keep asking the question, it will be answered when we are close enough) it can frustrate iOS, which is EXTREMELY biased towards saving power. After a certain number of failed acknowledgements, iOS will silently blackball the device to save power. It won't even bother sending any messages the app may request. The app and the app developer are none the wiser; the questions are never answered no matter how close you are to the car. To the app developer, it's like the car is not there.

My company discovered this and got around the problem (mostly) with a very pessimistic programming model. Our apps have a very short fuse (shorter than iOS's) when a question is not acknowledged. In other words, our app quits before iOS can get pissed. Works pretty well, but not foolproof, especially if you have other Bluetooth apps bugging the stack at the same time. It also requires that the user request to be connected, which is fine for our use cases, but is not acceptable for a "works automatically" key.

There may come a time that Tesla orchestrates Bluetooth unlocking a little better. Until then, I'll just touch the door handle to unlock. That's how my current car works anyway, and while it sometimes leaves passengers waiting for me to get to my door, it works very predictably. Assuming that "walk away lock" is one-time transaction, I'll probably leave that one on auto.

P.S. When Bluetooth stops working, reboot your phone and if necessary the car.

• Informative
Reactions: vicky3269 and DR61
Haha...We all lean toward hearing the negative but I believe you won't hear much from the folks that have no issues because they have nothing to complain about..... What I have found on this Forum which I love is that some have a tendency to Complain about everything sounding like a bunch of Whiners! The car is Awesome and no its not like there more expensive cars but its a heck of a lot fun to drive!!:)

So true! I am having a complete love affair with my 3 which I got just 2 days ago. We have an S 90D, which is beautiful, but always felt a little large and heavy for me. The M3 is nimble, responsive, and feels like an extension of my body. The fantastic sound system makes zipping around in autopilot pure pleasure!
There are a few issues with my 3, but since I did not expect perfection and I am a committed Tesla supporter, they are not a big deal. IMHO there are 2 ways to approach this--get really aggravated over imperfections after I paid HOW much?? or realize ramping up production is very difficult and in the end your Tesla is a gorgeous machine of a much higher caliber than anything else currently available!

I never expected to be so completely in love with this vehicle :)

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: vicky3269 and DR61