Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please HELP??? CHADemo, J1772 combo, J1772???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

I live about 40 miles from work, and until recently, I could charge at work free for the day. I live in Southern California and the chargers seem like the type that are common and that Tesla provides the adapters for when purchased. They charge at an average rate of 22 miles of range per hour.

Recently, however, they have cut down time allowed to 2 hours and enforce pretty regularly. I am a lawyer and in court for at least 4 hours at a time, so can move in time.

I have found a level 3 charger near me through a network called Greenlots. It appears to have a CHADEMO and a DC Combo type 1. I believe it is the same as referred to on these forums as a J1772 combo.

I know a lot has been said on this subject, but often spans years and is very technical, so I am hoping to get some easy answers to the following:

1) Is there now a cheaper version of a CHADEMO adapter? (450 seems steep considering it has been out now for a bit)

2) If not, can the J1772 adapter sold on Tesla's website be used safely with the J1772 combo at the charger? (posts seem to suggest but I am getting confused)

3) What would be the rate of charge? (miles of range per hour of charge average)

Again, thanks for the help.

Hello everyone.

I live about 40 miles from work, and until recently, I could charge at work free for the day. I live in Southern California and the chargers seem like the type that are common and that Tesla provides the adapters for when purchased. They charge at an average rate of 22 miles of range per hour.

Recently, however, they have cut down time allowed to 2 hours and enforce pretty regularly. I am a lawyer and in court for at least 4 hours at a time, so can move in time.

I have found a level 3 charger near me through a network called Greenlots. It appears to have a CHADEMO and a DC Combo type 1. I believe it is the same as referred to on these forums as a J1772 combo.

I know a lot has been said on this subject, but often spans years and is very technical, so I am hoping to get some easy answers to the following:

1) Is there now a cheaper version of a CHADEMO adapter? (450 seems steep considering it has been out now for a bit)

2) If not, can the J1772 adapter sold on Tesla's website be used safely with the J1772 combo at the charger? (posts seem to suggest but I am getting confused)

3) What would be the rate of charge? (miles of range per hour of charge average)

Again, thanks for the help.
1 I don't think so.

2 Combo 1 charger accepts only Combo 1 cars. Tesla is not compatible with Combo 1.

So I think if you need to charge there regularly you would need to buy a CHAdeMO adapter. Or I think you could find a garage with J1772 chargers, same as you had at the court, hopefully nearby your work. Can you charge at home? Usually CHAdeMO chargers are not free.

Yes, managing charging around your work day schedule can be a real mess. My workplace had a 4hr charging limit, and a full round-trip (60 miles) recharge for me took about 3 hours to complete, so there was a 1hr window to move the car. Had to make sure I wasn't going to be stuck in a meeting during that time. Complicating things, the charging slots were very heavily used, so there was no guarantee that I could get the car on a nipple at the right time for the charge to complete in one of the open calendar slots. I often just gave up and recharged when I got home.

What some folks ended up doing was to find an external 120v outlet and plug in there. They basically could just leave the car there all day without worry, and get some 40 miles of range during a normal day. If nothing else, that would be enough to get home, if not fully recharge.

Sometimes the lower-tech solution works out the best.

In the US, we have the Combo1 flavor of CCS (aka Frankenplug) aka J1772 CCS aka SAE Combo. Visual aid at EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc under DC Fast charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger, China.

And yes, there's currently no adapter to let US Teslas use Combo1 aka SAE Combo chargers.

You should also use Plugshare to find other alternatives if public charging is critical. You'll probably find some w/EVgo and Blink, amongst others. Blink's not real good at keeping their equipment running.
Considering the original price for the CHAdeMO adapter was over $1k. $450 is cheap.

CHAdeMO recharges at over 100 miles per hour. (assuming that your car is not close to full.)

Tesla currently does not provide a CCS (or J1772 Combo) adapter.
Yep. Connectors are expensive.

Some CHAdeMO chargers are slower than others (same goes for SAE Combo). Some might be only 24 or 25 kW instead of 44 or 50 kW that you typically find in the wild in the US. In Japan, there are some in public ones as low as 10 kW (CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla and CHAdeMO Make/Model Review — Using with a Tesla).