Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help! Drive unit seal not covered under warranty as part of drive unit??

Should this be covered under warranty as it can’t be a wear item if unserviceable??

• Yes

Votes: 113 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I got a "Acceleration reduced" warning light.
my 2013 MS with 48,300 miles is scheduled for service at Augorahills,CA. They sent me an invoice for $1200, in it they have mentioned the need to replace contactors and pyro fuse in the hv battery. My question is, did you have to pay for your service to get the contactors replaced. I thought the battery warranty is for 8 yrs. Please advise and thanks !

There is no pyro fuse on your 2013. That was introduced with the performance 90 battery with an available retrofit to the P85D battery as part of a Ludicrous upgrade.

You've got the regular non pyro fuse.

The contactors are covered for 8 years unlimited miles on the 85 unless you have an original 60 than it's only 8 years and I think 125K miles. In either case you're covered for everything in your battery and everything in your drive units.

What does the invoice say the $1200 is for?

I thought every pack had a pyro fuse, but the ludicrous upgrade made them an Inconel based fuse.

The contactors are not the fuse. The pyro fuse is literally an explosive fuse detonated electronically. It is self contained with it's own monitoring computer and even has a battery backup. It was required in order to more precisely control emergency current cutoff. A regular melting fuse will break sooner and sooner at progressively higher current but there is no exact set current that a melting fuse will break. It depends on how long it's been at x current. The higher x is the shorter time it takes to melt. Bit it means that a melting fuse is both current and time dependent.

The electronic pyro fuse only relies only on current and then the watchdog blows it as soon as it passes an exact limit.

The battery warranty is for 8 years. Are they trying to say that the contactors and fuse need replacing due to "degradation"?
Maybe it's another Tesla "clarification of terms" as far as what "battery" in the "battery warranty" refers to. In their zeal to be profitable, Tesla has been "clarifying" a lot of terms, all resulting in customers getting less, paying more, and Tesla saving or making money (by avoiding obligations like warranty, or by selling the same feature multiple times).

Maybe it's another Tesla "clarification of terms" as far as what "battery" in the "battery warranty" refers to. In their zeal to be profitable, Tesla has been "clarifying" a lot of terms, all resulting in customers getting less, paying more, and Tesla saving or making money (by avoiding obligations like warranty, or by selling the same feature multiple times).

The one confirmed case of this so far is their not covering the DU seals under the 8 year warranty when they always were before. If it wasn't for that, I'd call this new report of potentially not covering the contactors as another illegal walk back on their coverage.

Hi, I got a "Acceleration reduced" warning light.
my 2013 MS with 48,300 miles is scheduled for service at Augorahills,CA. They sent me an invoice for $1200, in it they have mentioned the need to replace contactors and pyro fuse in the hv battery. My question is, did you have to pay for your service to get the contactors replaced. I thought the battery warranty is for 8 yrs. Please advise and thanks !
Some 2013 Model S vehicles received new HV contactors as part of a fleet-wide service bulletin. My vehicle received updated contactors in 2014 as my VIN came due to have the service bulletin applied. Your vehicle probably should have received the updated contactors as well. Are you the original owner?

Some 2013 Model S vehicles received new HV contactors as part of a fleet-wide service bulletin. My vehicle received updated contactors in 2014 as my VIN came due to have the service bulletin applied. Your vehicle probably should have received the updated contactors as well. Are you the original owner?
Thank you so much for looking at my post. I am the second owner. Bought it from a family in Santa Monica. They showed me all the Tesla delivery papers and some invoices from Los Angeles sc. Is there a way to find out what work the car has got in the past from Tesla sc. I wonder if you are saying these were replaced due to a campaign then they should stand by that install.

Thank you so much for looking at my post. I am the second owner. Bought it from a family in Santa Monica. They showed me all the Tesla delivery papers and some invoices from Los Angeles sc. Is there a way to find out what work the car has got in the past from Tesla sc. I wonder if you are saying these were replaced due to a campaign then they should stand by that install.

It doesn't matter. Those contactors are covered for unlimited mileage for 8 years. If you're saying Tesla won't cover those under warranty and it isn't some misunderstanding, this will deserve it's own thread so the online community can freak out about this in addition to BatteryGate.

Reactions: croman
Thanks Sorka for your feedback. Here is the estimate that Tesla likes me to review and accept/ submit in order to get the service done.

Stunned. Have you asked them why this isn't covered under the battery warranty? Many many have posted here in the past with the same issue beyond the 50K miles with no ESA and it's always been covered before under the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty.

I sent your post link as a tip to Teslarati.

Stunned. Have you asked them why this isn't covered under the battery warranty? Many many have posted here in the past with the same issue beyond the 50K miles with no ESA and it's always been covered before under the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty.

I sent your post link as a tip to Teslarati.

What the heck? @wickrem your post appears to have been removed. Can no longer see the invoice.

It doesn't matter. Those contactors are covered for unlimited mileage for 8 years. If you're saying Tesla won't cover those under warranty and it isn't some misunderstanding, this will deserve it's own thread so the online community can freak out about this in addition to BatteryGate.

hi sorka and thank you so much for your feedback. Seems they are not honoring the commitment to the warranty instead want to blame something else to get around.
What the heck? @wickrem your post appears to have been removed. Can no longer see the invoice.

I had left some info on it. Sorry here it is again covering them up. Thanks for your prompt input.

Attachments

• 0777AB8B-6B5C-4584-BA71-A882E5C76269.jpeg
    0777AB8B-6B5C-4584-BA71-A882E5C76269.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 181
  • D911DE24-CFD4-4879-A74E-0E70F3B23492.jpeg
    D911DE24-CFD4-4879-A74E-0E70F3B23492.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

I resubmitted the estimate invoice since I left some personal infor on. Please forward and if any thing it be great if one of these Tesla service centers can advise these guys. Also their feedback on texting or emails to have the service appointment confirmed is so useless. I am still awaiting.

If you search with these three words, contactors replaced warranty, you'll find tons upon tons of posts many of which state their year or mileage. In all cases where the mileage was over 50K or more than 4 years, the contactors were still covered under warranty.

"Car needs service - power reduced"
11/13 S85 89K miles: New drive unit, 12V battery, and HV contactors
100,000+ Mile Club
100,000+ Mile Club

I don't have time to find them all but I found these in two minutes. Certainly many more posts.

Maybe start a poll asking "Were you battery main contactors replaced under infinite mile warranty?

According to Elon, the warranty is for the battery pack, not just the battery cells:

Infinite Mile Warranty

hi sorka and thank you so much for your feedback. Seems they are not honoring the commitment to the warranty instead want to blame something else to get around.

I had left some info on it. Sorry here it is again covering them up. Thanks for your prompt input.

HI, Would anyone know what does it mean , on the Invoice estimate, when they say , Drive unit remove/install. Are they going to replace the DU with a new one or just replace/update some parts in it. Thank you for all your kind responses.

According to Elon, the warranty is for the battery pack, not just the battery cells:
According to Elon, your P85D before ludicrous upgrade was a "700hp car" with 85KWh battery pack. So what? Elon will tell people anything they want o hear to make a sale. Just like it turned out only motor was 691hp capable, but the rest of the car would need a 50% power boost to reach it, and the 82KWh was rounded up to 85KWh in specifications, this warranty can simply become "the pack itself is covered, the pack being the outside skin of the battery module (ha, ha, you thought pack meant module, gotcha)", and "battery" simply mean each individual cell, but not the BMS, cooling/heating, or even interconnecting leads. Elon is very good at slimy excuses.

Last edited: