Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are now detailing my X and I'll be on my way. As I wait here in the owners lounge, I walked over and hopped in a showroom S.
#Claustrophobic
;-)
Yep. When I did my sit off between the Model X and Model S in December, this was right up there on the top along with ingress/egress, 'the windshield' and the seat comfort. Everything else was extra. ;)

Glad to see you got your car back operational quickly and easily. Too bad it did not do this adjacent to a service center. You might want to think about that next time.:)

Reactions: EV Family
Mind posting the firmware version in the car when this issue happened?
It's the latest one that was released last week. Sadly the unable to latch passenger door issue reoccurred again shortly after getting home from the service center. Tesla quickly sent over a stunning P85D last night and returned my X back to the shop.
It has been sitting there since then as they try to figure out why the door fails to recognize a complete latch.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
It's the latest one that was released last week. Sadly the unable to latch passenger door issue reoccurred again shortly after getting home from the service center. Tesla quickly sent over a stunning P85D last night and returned my X back to the shop.
It has been sitting there since then as they try to figure out why the door fails to recognize a complete latch.
Pjjava34, You sound like a very patient guy. The problem does not seem to be responding to sw fixes. How many tries are are you going to give them before Lemon Law? It's fortunate that you are not trying for a fix in Fremont or Palo Alto, wait is 4+ weeks.

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelS8794
Pjjava34, You sound like a very patient guy. The problem does not seem to be responding to sw fixes. How many tries are are you going to give them before Lemon Law? It's fortunate that you are not trying for a fix in Fremont or Palo Alto, wait is 4+ weeks.
There is nothing else I can do but be patient. People throw around Lemon Law talk here way too much. I doubt 2 door latch failures (now looking more like software issue) in 2 weeks of ownership warrants that.

Reactions: ankitmishra and Jon
There is nothing else I can do but be patient. People throw around Lemon Law talk here way too much. I doubt 2 door latch failures (now looking more like software issue) in 2 weeks of ownership warrants that.

This must be your primary vehicle, not your wife's. I too, love technology, my wife not so much. She will not put up with any of the doors that refuse to latch. I'm not going to order until or unless this is fixed with a degree of longevity. . Thanks for keeping us posted.

This must be your primary vehicle, not your wife's. I too, love technology, my wife not so much. She will not put up with any of the doors that refuse to latch. I'm not going to order until or unless this is fixed with a degree of longevity. . Thanks for keeping us posted.

Our X will be my wife's for the family. And we'll be keeping the current family car for at least a month in case anything like this pops up. Which means if we have to get an S loaner it's mine to commute to work with, cause our 4 kids won't fit in an S! Silver lining!

• Funny
Reactions: Jon and F123456
It has been sitting there since then as they try to figure out why the door fails to recognize a complete latch.[/QU
This does sound like a software issue. Even Elon admitted the fix will come up in a month or so.

It's software issue to a certain extent. Let me explain what exactly happened to my door. My Left driver door unable to latch 4 times in different time frame (4 different trips to SC), and passenger door unable to latch 3 times (another 3 different trips to SC), driver door bolt broke off (30+ days in SC). Now in order to get the latch to work well, the latch needs to be replaced to a new latch part. If SC is not replacing for you, you need to keep driving the old latch until it latch fails to a point that Tesla feels it's time for a replacement. The new latch is very scarce part. Once you have the new latch installed, you will still have problems which might cause the door to not open, but force open and manually close the door again will most likely fix the problem. Keep in mind those are my personal experience with my early X and I have tons of other issues other than the door. So the best is to keep driving the X and bring back to SC each time you have a latch failure. Keep doing this procedure until SC believes it's time for the replacement. Hopefully your X will be all fixed so you can continue to enjoy the car. Peace!

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
The latch on my car broke on Driver Front Door in March. 3 days after getting delivery. 9xx vin. I had to hold the door closed manually -- it did not close for about 1 hour on highway as I drove it home. They replaced both locks on both doors and on the work order it stated that they replaced the latches with old hardware and that they would replace locks with new latches in the future. This has been the #1 problem for all the ModelX's. They need to let everyone know they are working on new latches and that they will replace them when they are ready. Frustrating to see they haven't addressed it more head on. I love the car but a few little glitches like this can cause big issues as we hear about today. Best of luck on the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx and X Yes?
The latch on my car broke on Driver Front Door in March. 3 days after getting delivery. 9xx vin. I had to hold the door closed manually -- it did not close for about 1 hour on highway as I drove it home. They replaced both locks on both doors and on the work order it stated that they replaced the latches with old hardware and that they would replace locks with new latches in the future. This has been the #1 problem for all the ModelX's. They need to let everyone know they are working on new latches and that they will replace them when they are ready. Frustrating to see they haven't addressed it more head on. I love the car but a few little glitches like this can cause big issues as we hear about today. Best of luck on the drive.

This makes sense. Did they tell you when these new latches should be available approx ?

it is very disingenuous for Musk to proclaim all of these problems will be fixed by a few SW updates

I would take most of Musk's proclamations with a pinch of salt. Lets recap a little bit:

- He said 50c shims would fix DU problems. Not even close. The DU replacements still happen today, except there have been no reports of anyone getting stranded in the last several months.

- He said a new SW update will fix all range anxieties for good. That was a joke. All that happened was a poorly written routing algorithm which only made matters worse

- He said the X will be a better SUV than a S as a sedan. Not atleast at this time.

- Demonstrates battery swap in showman ship style, And then rolls it out very poorly with a rider, 'you need to call ahead and fix an appt'. What? in a way designed to fail, and then declare, "see, no one wants it !!'.

Tesla have no other solution than fix this. It's not like they will just accept that fact, and just change every latch out there every month.

For this reason, I am fully confident they will fix that, and we will remember this in a year with a smile. (At the moment I agree, I don't have a smile when thinking about it)

How the heck are these door latches breaking off like pretzels snacks. Did they make them with aluminum accidentally?? I hope I am not embarrassed and troubled by such ridiculous issues after spending 100 grand. Disclaimer: I am a huge Tesla supporter and these issues trouble me a lot as a vehement defender of the product and the company.

"The Model X" here must refer to a single car in the factory they've been working on for the last couple of months. Glad that one's done - now it's time for the rest of us!
I'm happy to add another update as the OP here. I was just informed that they have FedEx'd a new latch for my door which they had to wait to literally come off the factory line as it was stated to me.
It should arrive at my SC today and the car should be ready later tonight or tomorrow AM.
My concern is that it was my understanding that cars built in April forward were all getting a new or improved latch installed. When my May 5th build had a bad latch 2 weeks into ownership it made me do a double take.

SC's response was that "some bad ones can still can get through."

I guess Elon was back in his sleeping bag when mine came off the line that fateful day.

SC's response was that "some bad ones can still can get through."
Either some is a big number or they really have not fully redesigned the latch or the production (at least in April) IMHO. I think there is still more to this story, and like Ohmman, I think there still needs to be a bit more done.

BTW I am saying that as an owner with absolutely no door issues. And the ones I did have early on I self corrected or were fixed with sw updates before they were a problem for me.

Reactions: xkwizit
I guess Elon was back in his sleeping bag when mine came off the line that fateful day.

I recall hearing that a customer found a lunchbox (Elon's?) and possibly a sleeping bag in their vehicle after pickup. Maybe Elon got stuck in a Model-X because the doors wouldn't open. If so, then it's entirely possible that a few got past him while he was incapacitated. ;)

Update:
First off I'll start by saying that Tesla went above and beyond in their customer service in both handling the logistics of my rental, my towing and prepping a Model S loaner in case the car needed to stay with them.
The car just arrived in the Decatur service center and within 5 minutes of their MX expert analyzing and popping off the hood to do some hard resets (technician reset not the ones we can do on steering wheel or 17" display) they were able to bring the door back to life. They assured me it was not a latch issue and there is no need to replace it or the driver latch as a precaution as I had inquired.

They said it is a firmware issue and Tesla engineers are working on improving these over the next several updates (pretty much what Elon said during the shareholders meeting).

They are now detailing my X and I'll be on my way. As I wait here in the owners lounge, I walked over and hopped in a showroom S.
#Claustrophobic
;-)

The S is such a sexy beast and I still love the auto present handles as I approached it, but I'm excited I'll be taking My X back home here shortly.

As of right now, the X feels far more luxurious and comfortable when your inside compared to the S!
I agree! The S is an awesome electric car. The X is an Awesome car in it's own class electric or not. It will always be a stand out car with FWD's. If you don't love the FWD's you should probably not buy the X. It's awesome to sit in the back seat with wings up while eating or relaxing. The air blows in and the doors create shade. The sound shoots down from up high. I can see a canopy added to FWD's for the perfect portable awning.