Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW I am saying that as an owner with absolutely no door issues. And the ones I did have early on I self corrected or were fixed with sw updates before they were a problem for me.
Has been my case as well so far (2 weeks). But it sounds like the latch will get me some day. I want to prove not all Xs have issues but that could just be my wishful thinking :).

I agree! The S is an awesome electric car. The X is an Awesome car in it's own class electric or not.

I have to take slight issue with this statement as the owner of both. The S won Car of the Year awards, highest rated car in many categories for many leading publications, etc. It is an awesome car in it's own class electric or not, I would say - and I think the automotive press is on the record agreeing with this statement. The X, on the other hand, has yet to be given the type of accolades the S has received. That may change once the car gets into the hands of more reviewers, but for now the reaction is generally mixed. Once again, I agree with them.. for now.

Either some is a big number or they really have not fully redesigned the latch or the production (at least in April) IMHO. I think there is still more to this story, and like Ohmman, I think there still needs to be a bit more done.

BTW I am saying that as an owner with absolutely no door issues. And the ones I did have early on I self corrected or were fixed with sw updates before they were a problem for me.

I think you might be right as far as latches not yet being fully redesigned.
Here is my Service invoice I just received clearly showing that nothing was found wrong with wiring, latch or door in general but since a reset only temporarily fixed my door issue, the only thing they could do was to just order a new latch and replace it all together.
Hopefully that software update is the answer to all of the plagued X problems.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 74
So, I had my Model X for 3 days before I left on vacation. While I was out, I got it XPel'd and installed a dashcam in it.
I got back from vacation last night and went and picked the car back up today from OCDetailing.

On the drive back, I picked up the wife and lo and behold, the front passenger door wouldn't open or close from the outside. I can pull it open and closed from the inside, but if I open it any other way, there's a constant whirring sound and when I try to close it, it doesn't fully latch and continues to whir.

I tried the door reset trick mentioned earlier (or I think I did - there's no confirmation of anything being reset) and that didn't change anything.

Anyway, I've kicked off the pending software update and I'm hoping it fixes the issue. Otherwise, a trip to the SC is in order for me.

I think you might be right as far as latches not yet being fully redesigned.
Here is my Service invoice I just received clearly showing that nothing was found wrong with wiring, latch or door in general but since a reset only temporarily fixed my door issue, the only thing they could do was to just order a new latch and replace it all together.
Hopefully that software update is the answer to all of the plagued X problems.

Reading TMC after a long time. I had this situation as well and had to drive 50+ with wing door unlatched. SC replaced a part on the door.
My Sig X has spent about 25 days at service center since delivery 90 days ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx and X Yes?
So, I had my Model X for 3 days before I left on vacation. While I was out, I got it XPel'd and installed a dashcam in it.
I got back from vacation last night and went and picked the car back up today from OCDetailing.

On the drive back, I picked up the wife and lo and behold, the front passenger door wouldn't open or close from the outside. I can pull it open and closed from the inside, but if I open it any other way, there's a constant whirring sound and when I try to close it, it doesn't fully latch and continues to whir.

I tried the door reset trick mentioned earlier (or I think I did - there's no confirmation of anything being reset) and that didn't change anything.

Anyway, I've kicked off the pending software update and I'm hoping it fixes the issue. Otherwise, a trip to the SC is in order for me.
Sorry to hear this man. This upsets and worries me as I'm about to pick mine up with a replaced latch in the next couple of hours. I really hope this software update fixes the silly latch issue for good as there are people out there who have had 3 different latches installed and are still having issues. Part of me still worries the dreaded non responding front door every time I approach the car.

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?

As I said before

more than 90% front door latch will be break within three weeks!!!

And I changed my theory

More than 90% Xs need to replace their front door latch every three weeks !!!
Just picked my X back up after my replaced latch arrived from the factory last night.
Had a very candid discussion with several SC advisors who were both extremely knowledgable and open about my latch concern. They said that the reason they don't keep Latches on a shelf is because it is extremely rare for them to malfunction. He estimated of the 75-100 X's they've delivered this year at that store that mine was the 5th one that had to get a latch replaced. He also said that almost every other latch issue has been corrected with a system reset (which they do internally as the first step to correct the issue). That only worked for me until I got home last week and the latch again failed to open.

He also said the engineers in CA want to know every detail about when/how/ what owners were doing whe the latches first failed.
Each latch is ordered by vin number and the car associated with it is then monitored for such a malfunction moving forward.
Again he said mine was the 5th in about 100 deliveries. It is a new technology which no one has ever tried but he assured me that my car along with every car they've ever built will be corrected and perfected if anything malfunctions so need not worry as far as long term reliability is concerned. They will get it right and it will stay that way once perfected.
Man I never thought I'd want out of a P85D (my loaner this week). The X is so much enjoyable to be in and operate on every single level. Every time I hop on it reminds me how glad I am I stayed with my X order and did not go for an s.

My SC (Burlingame, CA) said they are keeping latches on hand, so it must be a common problem to some degree because it doesn't seem like they keep a lot of anything else on hand...

Just picked my X back up after my replaced latch arrived from the factory last night.
Had a very candid discussion with several SC advisors who were both extremely knowledgable and open about my latch concern. They said that the reason they don't keep Latches on a shelf is because it is extremely rare for them to malfunction. He estimated of the 75-100 X's they've delivered this year at that store that mine was the 5th one that had to get a latch replaced. He also said that almost every other latch issue has been corrected with a system reset (which they do internally as the first step to correct the issue). That only worked for me until I got home last week and the latch again failed to open.

He also said the engineers in CA want to know every detail about when/how/ what owners were doing whe the latches first failed.
Each latch is ordered by vin number and the car associated with it is then monitored for such a malfunction moving forward.
Again he said mine was the 5th in about 100 deliveries. It is a new technology which no one has ever tried but he assured me that my car along with every car they've ever built will be corrected and perfected if anything malfunctions so need not worry as far as long term reliability is concerned. They will get it right and it will stay that way once perfected.
Man I never thought I'd want out of a P85D (my loaner this week). The X is so much enjoyable to be in and operate on every single level. Every time I hop on it reminds me how glad I am I stayed with my X order and did not go for an s.

Here's what's happening with my front passenger door:

For opening:
1. I cannot open the door using my hands from the outside (see video here: https://goo.gl/photos/7A49fqwMGj4mhKSv7) or from the fob or touchscreen.
2. I can open the door manually using the pull handle from the inside.

For closing:
1. I cannot close the door using the touchscreen (see video here: https://goo.gl/photos/D7cx2bYpWzpfVrqC9 showing that the driver's door can be closed, but not the passenger door)
2. If I manually pull the door closed, it may or may not close fully (see video here: https://goo.gl/photos/vKtBFA7NQX9nWR6eA - sorry for the poor quality) - this is probably the most annoying since I cannot drive with the door unlatched.

Does it not let you drive at all of u
Here's what's happening with my front passenger door:

For opening:
1. I cannot open the door using my hands from the outside (see video here: https://goo.gl/photos/7A49fqwMGj4mhKSv7) or from the fob or touchscreen.
2. I can open the door manually using the pull handle from the inside.

For closing:
1. I cannot close the door using the touchscreen (see video here: https://goo.gl/photos/D7cx2bYpWzpfVrqC9 showing that the driver's door can be closed, but not the passenger door)
2. If I manually pull the door closed, it may or may not close fully (see video here: https://goo.gl/photos/vKtBFA7NQX9nWR6eA - sorry for the poor quality) - this is probably the most annoying since I cannot drive with the door unlatched.
Does it not let you drive if unlatched? Or does it just chime but you can still drive?