Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried all the reset stuff and then called the service hotline and did all their stuff but no change. Now have to get the latch replaced. Sadly it is 400 km to Vancouver so have likely have to pay the transport for the tech to come out or else take a day off to drive there..
Zapped in Edmonton had a similar problem ...see thread MODEL X Canada post # 290.. Ranger coming over to fix the problem. Sorry to hear about your issue.

Haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread yet but just wanted to add this data point. My driver's side door latch failed. They arranged for Transport to get me to DC service center the next day. Took them 2 days to fix it and then the delivered back on Sat. I asked them about the passenger latch and they said they'd make a note in my account. Didn't want to force the issue as mine is still working and sounds like they're still short on parts so figure I'd leave it for someone who's is actually broken.

I did have to pay for transport to SC which was a little disappointing on a warranty repair. At the same time, it's not their fault I live 150 miles away.

Was happy with repair except here I am 4 days later and now the key fob stopped working.

Haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread yet but just wanted to add this data point. My driver's side door latch failed. They arranged for Transport to get me to DC service center the next day. Took them 2 days to fix it and then the delivered back on Sat. I asked them about the passenger latch and they said they'd make a note in my account. Didn't want to force the issue as mine is still working and sounds like they're still short on parts so figure I'd leave it for someone who's is actually broken.

I did have to pay for transport to SC which was a little disappointing on a warranty repair. At the same time, it's not their fault I live 150 miles away.

Was happy with repair except here I am 4 days later and now the key fob stopped working.

But they are suppose to pay for 500 miles of towing? How much did they charge?

No luck. They wrote back to say the new policy only applies to roadside and an inoperable vehicle. Apparently they don't consider the door latch malfunction enough to make the door inoperable.

So looks like the 500 mile expansion is a severely restricted 'benefit' that only applies if you're completely stranded on the side of the road.

Rather disappointing.

No luck. They wrote back to say the new policy only applies to roadside and an inoperable vehicle. Apparently they don't consider the door latch malfunction enough to make the door inoperable.

So looks like the 500 mile expansion is a severely restricted 'benefit' that only applies if you're completely stranded on the side of the road.

Rather disappointing.
I had the same problem, and Tesla brought a loaner 120 miles to my house and took my car back on a flatbed. In my case the driver's door wouldn't open but the car thought it was open. The car was delivered to my home after the latch was replaced.

No charge for anything.

Wow it looks like people had a lot of varied experience. I had a very good one... our front passenger latch failed but was able to hold the door closed enough to drive (warnings going off but door stayed shut). Drove to the SC in Seattle, they took it in immediately and had it fixed in 45. Drove home feeling very good about that Service Center.

Reviving old thread. My VIN#59xxx door latches (yeah, both sides at similar times) failed two days ago.
First, passenger door (RHD, so left door) had a hard time opening from inside. Needed extra strength to get it opened. After several uses, the door became non-responsive to the door button outside. I still was able to open it from inside. Then several more uses of the passenger door later, it completely stopped working. I mean, it didn't open from outside, and couldn't be opened from inside. The door seems to be closed but the latch is not closed, so the window is a little ajar (down). Since the car thinks the door is open, I got no autopilot, annoying sounds for 10 minutes. Good thing was that the door didn't open even if I drove on highways.

Then I came to think, isn't this funny - didn't look like a hardware failure, as the failure mode was changing. I got an idea; I tried to pull the door handle from inside, but applied the force to close the door instead - voila, the latch closed! After that, the passenger door worked normally...

Then the drivers door (RHD, so right door) started to malfunction, right after the passenger door started to work normally. This time, it couldn't be opened from outside, but could be opened from inside with some extra force. Having been opening the door many times from inside, it kept responding to door handle from inside...

Called the tech support, the engineer said the both latches need to be changed and he still believes them to be two hardware failures occurring in sequence. I'm not buying it but will see tomorrow. The service center will call me tomorrow to arrange a mobile tech or service center visit.

Reviving old thread. My VIN#59xxx door latches (yeah, both sides at similar times) failed two days ago.
First, passenger door (RHD, so left door) had a hard time opening from inside. Needed extra strength to get it opened. After several uses, the door became non-responsive to the door button outside. I still was able to open it from inside. Then several more uses of the passenger door later, it completely stopped working. I mean, it didn't open from outside, and couldn't be opened from inside. The door seems to be closed but the latch is not closed, so the window is a little ajar (down). Since the car thinks the door is open, I got no autopilot, annoying sounds for 10 minutes. Good thing was that the door didn't open even if I drove on highways.

Then I came to think, isn't this funny - didn't look like a hardware failure, as the failure mode was changing. I got an idea; I tried to pull the door handle from inside, but applied the force to close the door instead - voila, the latch closed! After that, the passenger door worked normally...

Then the drivers door (RHD, so right door) started to malfunction, right after the passenger door started to work normally. This time, it couldn't be opened from outside, but could be opened from inside with some extra force. Having been opening the door many times from inside, it kept responding to door handle from inside...

Called the tech support, the engineer said the both latches need to be changed and he still believes them to be two hardware failures occurring in sequence. I'm not buying it but will see tomorrow. The service center will call me tomorrow to arrange a mobile tech or service center visit.
Drove to the service center and they changed it to door actuators on both sides. So is this the "latch" everybody was talking about? Technically it's not a latch - it's a motorized part that moves the latch.
IMG_20190814_1735361.jpg

Just jumped back in my 2017 Model X at the supermarket and the door won't close. Seems like a latch mechanism failure. Had to drive 3km home holding my door and stopping it from swinging open! I love this car but I'm really disheartened at the amount of little issues like this. Last week it was loose sway bar links rattling under the car.
Does anyone know if this is still a recall item?
Thanks

I paid 900. Out of warranty. Upside is, the doors work great now. Way better than before.

Meanwhile TMC needs to throw a warning on posts more than one year since the most recent post in a thread. I've been guilty of necrobumping a few times myself- having to get past a dialog box would help.

@Harvey Danger when you say they work better, what do you mean? I don't have anything to compare to. They were working, then they weren't 😆

I paid 900. Out of warranty. Upside is, the doors work great now. Way better than before.

Meanwhile TMC needs to throw a warning on posts more than one year since the most recent post in a thread. I've been guilty of necrobumping a few times myself- having to get past a dialog box would help.
If the doors are working better, perhaps you had the servo motors changed too, thus the high price. For me I believe it’s just the latching mech that is currently failing.