Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please help: Front door latch just failed have to drive 400 miles in AM with latch warning beeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The door has now gone completely limp. No motorized action at all in it. A very strong push from the inside is required to cause it to come open and additional strength is required to keep it inching open manually.
It does not latch so my 400 mile drive will tomorrow not only have unlatch beeping sounds for 6 straight hours, it will also have outside noise streaming in. Will see what SC says when they call me in the AM.

Add this to things you didn't know about your Model X. It will not allow auto pilot or Adaptive cruise control with the door unlached message active!

That sucks.

If you can't fix it, maybe it's time think of something to remedy the situation:you can put your headphones on to listen to the music on the phone. For kids you can buy one of those baby headphones.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Funny
Reactions: EV Family
Sorry to hear that. Did you do a reset prior to recalibrating? Will the door open via the touchscreen?
Yes. Tried reset and power off per tesla on the phone. Neither worked.
Initially it would swing open via touch screen, after rebooting, it no longer opened from touchscreen. It has now completely lost power in that door and is essentially dead weight when manually opening or closing. Of course it doesn't fully latch so there's a nice gap with road noise and of course the loud beeping and warnings saying to drive carefully door is not latched. Even worse auto pilot and adaptive CC are both disabled due to door latch issue and the long drive back home will be that much more fun!

It is as if the latch is mechanically closed but the door is not. Might be an electrical failure of the latch. Some have reported a loose wiring harness to the door. Maybe you can use a bungy cord to hold door tight. Best of luck keep us updated and drive safe tomorrow.

Not exactly the same problem but on my 2014 model S my door handles would present but when I pulled on them it wouldn't open the door. I ended up having to pull out the fuse and putting it back in. This made the door work again for about a week until it did it again and then I just brought it to the SC to get the door handles replaced.

Anyway I know that was for a model s so probably a different issue but maybe you can try to find the fuse that controls the door and try reseating it. If doesn't work then maybe pulling out the fuse might at least be enough to stop the warning beeps? Good luck!

@Pjjava34 - I had a similar issue with the driver door but it occurred near the SC and the door wouldn't remain closed. Since it's a long drive for you, drive enough in your hotel parking lot to make sure the door wouldn't open on the highway. I'm surprised that TM asked you to drive 400 miles when the door is not properly latched. They should be putting the car on a flatbed and give you a rental.

So the touch screen will not work, what about the lever?

Something like this happened to me once. I was at a supercharger and the car would not open for me from the outside or close either. It would open with the latch and close with the brake pedal for some reason, but only after I pried it all the way open.

So I would go around to the passenger side, pull the lever and it would go open a bit. Then I would pry it open all of the way. Then press the handle and it would close, but not latch. I repeated this about 8-10 times and finally it sucked in and all was good. That was about 1000 miles ago and it was the only time it behaved that way.

A free 500 mile tow will do wonders for your Wh/mi stats. Sorry, just trying to find a silver-lining for you. Feel bad for you that this happened on your vacation.
Yeah except they just said the 500 mile tow is only valid if the vehicle is undrivable. I convinced them that being able to see and hear the roadway with the gap between the door(being that it's unlatched) and the 6 hours of continuous chiming of "door is open" is pretty undrivable. They changed their tune and are setting me up with a tow back to Atlanta, saying it can take 1-2 days for logistics to come get the car.
I'm also being picked up by enterprise to get the very comparable nissan rouge. :(

At the Annual General Meeting last Tuesday, Elon said the problem is all software. He said that the latest software update will help, and another software update in a month's time will make the doors work better than any other door on the planet (my slight exaggeration).

• Informative
Reactions: HookBill
I'm absolutely floored to hear that this issue is still ongoing since when Model X first started being delivered and until now. That's absurd, given how long they have had to be able to resolve this and the potential safety issues/implications. I would argue this warrants a Elon Musk tweet with a WTF at the end...crazy. Given the "investment" folks are making in this car, as well as with Tesla, I think it's absolutely fair to expect stuff like this to happen in non-Production, beta, or a handful of early delivery builds, but not several months into Production vehicles. I'm nervous now about my Model X and if I should be concerned about this type of issue...

@Pjjava34 I hope this gets resolved for you quickly and is the last thing you have to worry about with your Model X for some time.

Reactions: madodel
@Pjjava34 - I am glad that TM is making arrangements to pick up the car and giving you a rental I know it sucks to drive one of those ICE cars but much safer given the condition of the door latch.
@madodel - when I had the problem briefly once with the driver door that was the first time the ASM at my SC had seen this behavior but he said it's bad firmware on the latches as they came from the supplier. The only thing they can do is reset the firmware but till the supplier is able to resolve the bug on their end it's not completely resolved. The newer batch of latches is supposedly having updated firmware from the supplier but as we can see the issue still persists. Some software bugs are hard to squash unfortunately :mad:

And it's just another example of the highly complex design on a product that's in public spotlight all the time. Who could imagine that a simple thing as a door latch would be software dependent. :eek:

Thankfully you weren't 501 miles away. This is getting ridiculous with these doors. Are they poor quality parts or is it a firmware failure? Tesla had better figure this out soon.
seriously!
To me it feels like it's poor design/parts and not software. Honestly I'm more embarrassed as we are with friends and family showing our new "fancy" car and we have to be towed away from their driveway to get back home.
They really do need to figure this out ASAP. As I'm sure is the case with most of you, I don't have the time to deal with something like this too often.
I've already learned to except the content FWD detecting non existent obstacles, the key fob not detected signal, the seat controls not responding, the screen freezing and so on. I can by pass those and drive on, stuff like this get my blood boiling.

@vandacca I believe he was referring to the FWDs and how they sense obstacles. This seems to be an malfunction/mechanical failure that is beyond SW.

Really disappointed to hear this is still an issue. I do wonder how many people/what percentage of delivered Xs are experiencing door latch issues. If you read the forums, you'd think it is more than 50%, but I think it's probably under 10%. However, anything more than a one off issue is not acceptable, especially at this point.

Thankfully you weren't 501 miles away. This is getting ridiculous with these doors. Are they poor quality parts or is it a firmware failure? Tesla had better figure this out soon.

Everyday I'm more thankful I went with an S instead of an X. The X will be an awesome car...someday, but right now it seems to be a $100,000 beta product with owners being used as Guinea pigs.