Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help me choose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently on the list for the 2022 model S(without self driving) at $104k price.

I have a chance at a local non Tesla dealership to get a used 2021 S plaid. It has 10k miles on it and includes self driving.

It would cost me $18k more to get a used S plaid with self driving option.

Which one would you choose considering if I will want to sell car let's say in 5 years.
Thanks

1650243641377.png

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
I personally wouldn’t pay more than ~ $2500 for features in FSD that work. Also, I would consider the Plaid mfg date and if it has any of the early issues (drive train vibration, console light backwards). Finally, I think in general that base models with longer range retain value over premium you are paying for a performance version. And then what about color / wheel preferences. Ultimately, do you value the range or performance, and is it worth $18K.

If you gotta have the speed (and you know if you do) buy the plaid,
If you are smart and frugal and patience, well….. you know the answer!!
I don’t think either is a bad choice, but pick the one that makes you happy
Congrats on 2 great options and enjoy!

If you go with the used Plaid, make sure you know whether it passed through Tesla’s hands. If Tesla owned the car, even for an instant, they’ll strip FSD as well as anything else that was present in 2021 car but is no longer included on a base new one. If there’s any chance the car went though auction from Tesla, make sure you get in writing from the dealer what’s included with the car. Don’t rely on the VIN number or Tesla employees or website, sometimes Tesla will take a while to remove these packages so they can work when you get the car then be removed some time later. If buying used, make sure you know the chain of custody for the car. If it doesn’t ever pass through Tesla’s hands, they cannot remove any software or options. The dealer will know from where they got the car, and if from another dealer, that dealer should know.

There are a number of people who’ve been burned by this stripping of software, search these forums.

I can’t tell you whether you should get the Plaid or the new one. I can tell you that FSD is not ready for prime time. Mine isn’t. Phantom braking is a downer and it will quickly put a damper on things when showing off the car. Phantom braking is random, the car only slows about 15 MPH but it does it very suddenly so it feels much worse than it actually is.

I’d think about whether you really want that speed… but you have a P85D, how much do you use that dizzying speed? Now, I’d love to have a Plaid, just to have it. To know it’s the quickest thing on the road. But not for long, any more than your P85D remained the quickest thing around.

Counterpoints. Your new one will be used after you buy it. In 2 years, the 18K cost difference will have been largely forgotten and you will have a 2 year old car or a 3 year old car. I’d choose the one you want. Then in 5 years you’ll take a bath when you sell or trade it. We’re in a car buying bubble now but we probably won’t be then, so if you pay 10K over for a used car in todays market, you’ll lose every bit of that plus the actual 5 year depreciation of the car itself.

I’m rambling. I’m sure you’ve been though most of this. Good luck. Let us know which one you choose and if the Plaid, I’d like to see a picture, complete with you and that plaid grin.

I am currently on the list for the 2022 model S(without self driving) at $104k price.

I have a chance at a local non Tesla dealership to get a used 2021 S plaid. It has 10k miles on it and includes self driving.

It would cost me $18k more to get a used S plaid with self driving option.

Which one would you choose considering if I will want to sell car let's say in 5 years.
Thanks
Tesla will remove the $12k FSD from the car before you buy it. That should reduce the pruce of that plaid by $12k.

There is a poll here somewhere that asks people if they think FSD is worth $12k. Any guesses what the overwhelming poll results are for that question? (Keep in mind this is a tesla forum where most members of fans of tesla..)

Tesla will remove the $12k FSD from the car before you buy it. That should reduce the pruce of that plaid by $12k.

There is a poll here somewhere that asks people if they think FSD is worth $12k. Any guesses what the overwhelming poll results are for that question? (Keep in mind this is a tesla forum where most members of fans of tesla..)
Tesla can only remove the FSD if they at some point own the car.

my error...failed to see its at a non tesla dealership

in that case, that FSD is going to disappear anyways...

Again, Tesla cannot remove features unless they own the car, so if the car passes from the old owner to the new without passing through Tesla’s ownership, Tesla cannot remove FSD or any other option.