Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help me justify buying an X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There must be many of you who are or have been in the same boat. I want an X. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford an X. But I can’t justify spending the best part of £90k on a car.

I only drive about 7000 miles a year in the car that a Tesla would replace, nearly all on non motorway. I am retired but have a small croft so need to tow a small livestock trailer short distances and also carry fairly large agricultural items around.

I am a confirmed Skoda fanatic and love my current Superb Estate L & K but it’s a diesel! I can buy a brand new 2020 model all singing all dancing Superb Estate L & K 4 x 4 for £45k. This vehicle has as standard one hell of a lot more features than a Tesla, although it doesn’t have the high tech of a Tesla.

I have never had a single problem with my current Skoda whereas I read about Tesla owners having all sorts of build quality and service centre issues.

So why should I spend twice as much on a Tesla. Yes I know I want one but I need an excuse (mainly for my wife) to buy one and “want” simply doesn’t work! Can you help please?

On the pro's side take your wife to see one and sit in it, test drive it.. the joys of reliable acceleration and no gears. With the supercharger and free scottish car leccy and being retired you could start going around and having a look at other parts of the UK assuming you can leave the stock for the time away.
On the con's side.. you'll lose a heck of a lot more in depreciation that you think and you have the horrors of Tesla if any repairs are needed and fsd is all but a joke UK - fun to play with but the novelty wears off and useless on country roads (but you can get past the tractors fast)
I have a hobby farm and am also retired and bought my S outright. It's fun, i like driving it and no probs so far but with the benefit fo hindsight and around £25K depreciation in 9mths perhaps i'd have been better off buying a bigger tractor.

It is the electric drive, combined with Autopilot that makes the X so desirable. Hard to compare it to a stinky diesel. It will serve your needs well, and tow what you want. All Wheel Drive and low center of gravity make it as aspirational purchase.

It comes with Air Suspension as well, which often comes in handy on country roads. Traction and throttle control makes driving a whole nother experience.

I have an X. It's a great car. You will enjoy every bit of it. Trust me. This is a great ride. Smooth, very fast when you want it, just all around incredible. I don't think anyone else will ever come close to the build, the technology and work that was involved to put this beast together. The consistent updates to improve via software is also a game changer.

Like you, I was hesitant at first but then I realized this is the future. Why throw more money at some gas car? I'm done with the gas/diesel cabal manipulation games. What time you spend on this Earth should be enjoyed. You satisfied the first requirement; you said you could afford it. The rest is up to you.

As per the issues with repairs, quality concerns, this is over. The earlier ones had some QA problems and they worked through those back in 2017, but you're going to buy a new Raven refresh so you won't experience such issues. Plus I heard Elon brought back free supercharging for life for the X and S.

Be honest with yourself. Nobody is going to get excited about driving a Skoda. Nobody.

If the above hasn't convinced you, go take a test drive in an X and come back and tell me how much you loved it.

Although I'm 'across the Pond', I was in the same boat - so to speak. Just a year before I FINALLY broke down and purchased my X, I was looking at a Mercedes that was just over $100K and thought to myself "there is just NO way I can justify spending that amount on a vehicle I drive less than 10K miles per year!"

Flash forward to today, after owning my X for over 16 months - and I just could NOT be happier that I gave in to my whim and purchased this gem! 20K miles on the odo (I've driven my X much more than I would normally because it's just so dang fun to drive!), and no serious issues. Nothing I had to go to the SC for, anyways. The couple times I went to the SC (for the initial rim swap and a subsequent need for a new fob), they were fantastic! Unfortunately, I can't speak to your local SC... so that may be an issue for you. However, the 3 Teslas in my family (1 ea: S, 3, X), have a combined 160K miles, and zero 'necessary' trips to the SC. I also rode in an X as an Uber this last weekend, and his had 150K miles on an 11 month old car, and he has never taken it in for service. He replaced brake pads once at 120K miles, and replaced 2 sets of tyres because of the extremely hot climate and all city-driving.

You may be surprised at the amount of cargo space the X has as well. I didn't compare specs, but just from an outside view of the Skoda, it would appear the X has the potential for more interior space. This may be a benefit for your 'large agricultural items'.

I also cannot speak to depreciation. It's never been a decision maker for any vehicle for me, so it's a non-issue. However, if it's something about which you are concerned, you may consider that factor.

As many would say, just test drive an X, and make your decision then... I've never looked back! :D

You are out in the sticks by sounds of it so don’t worry about guilt of diesel. Run what you have until is starts to cause concern then see what takes your fancy then, making sure you leave enough time to wait for delivery.

If you get rid of your diesel now, unless you scrap it someone else will use it and quite possibly in urban areas where diesels are a problem. So you will have just shifted the diesel problem to a more delicate area.

Ask pretty much any EV driver what they think of their car and they will sing the praises of EV driving - it’s not a feeling unique to Tesla. Each year you put the change off you will get more choice. I think a couple more years will see some big changes in the market.

Last edited:
Your wife may already want one? I ordered an M3 without telling my other half, my theory was I'd ask for forgiveness later.

Things didn't go quite to plan. Over the weekend I had fo 'fess up, mainly because she was looking at a new work car as her lease is nearly up. Whilst browsing cars on her work lease site, she suddenly mentions that she could get an M3 through work as they have just been added to the 'available' cars - and wouldn't that be great as she knows I've always wanted a Tesla so I could also drive it. At which point I thought I better explain that I had already ordered one. I explained the virtues of some of the other EVs on the list as a car smaller than an M3 would be useful. Long story short she ordered herself an M3 today, I am still in shock.

If you have kids then maybe the rear doors and environmental credentials will go some of the way with the nagging..

.../ If you have kids then maybe the /.../ environmental credentials will go some of the way with the nagging...
THIS!

And since you're retired, maybe you even have grandchildren...

As I'm sure you know, atmospheric CO2 is at ~414 parts per million (ppm). Everything above 350 ppm will continue to raise the global mean sea level. That global mean sea level is now up about 24 cm/10 inches since about 1880 and continuing to go up. The current rate of sea level rise means that it will be about another one cm higher every third year. If you plot a curve of the global mean sea level rise since 1880 you get a curve that looks just like the beginning of an exponential curve -- you know one of those that eventually points straight up. That is eventually going to put large parts of Florida and other communities and cities at the same elevation under water. We blew past 350 ppm in 1988. To begin to decrease the level of CO2 in the atmosphere we are going to have to cut global CO2 emissions with at least 85% from todays levels. And time is unfortunately running out fast...

We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe, warns UN

...and that article is already more than 9 months old...

There's also this argument:

Isis Inc: how oil fuels the jihadi terrorists | Financial Times

https://www.motortrend.com/news/james-woolsey-interview/

British Forces casualties in Afghanistan since 2001 - Wikipedia

UK military deaths in Iraq | BBC News

And what do you think about this regime?:

Saudi Arabia

Jamal Khashoggi - Wikipedia

Wouldn't it be nice to be a part of terminating that funding?...

Reactions: pow216 and davidmc
A Dacia is the price of a Skoda but is it twice as good? If you can afford a X it really is a unicorn car, even Musk admits Tesla should have never made it so complex, but there really is nothing else on the road like it!!!

All hype in the UK is about the Model 3 at the moment, but compared to the X the 3 is like a toy car.

I've had my X for 37k now and nearly 2.5 years I wouldn't swap it for anything else on the road, here are some things the X can do nothing else can.
  • Powered doors all round - Its amazing how you yet use to this, and you notice it every time you drive. Having to use your hand to open a door seems so backwards now!!
  • FWDs, if you read online reviews your think they are useless and break down. The truth is if you have kids and use the back seats daily they are unbeatable. I can grab, dunk, clip in, drive off at nursry pickup before some parents have even managed to open the doors to their cars.....again powered doors are so cool!! Add to that the ability to open the doors in the tightest spaces, they really are fab.
    33874970062_4edc7a80a8_z_d.jpg
  • The panoramic windscreen, I've driven plenty of cars with big glass roofs, but there is nothing else on the market like the windscreen on the X. Its actually feels even more open than a convertible, with added advantage of not having to worry about wind/heat/exhaust fumes you get when you open drop the top. Stepping into a Model S after the X really makes me feel claustrophobic these days.
    44989352691_fcb049c084_z_d.jpg
  • The sheer space of the X is also quite unbelievable, its not much bigger than a S, but when needed too it can shift so much stuff....I believe the offical cargo size of the X is over 1000L+, there cannot be many cars on sale of any kind that offers more space
    35088104045_9848d4e233_z_d.jpg
    34701181760_421054f0f7_z_d.jpg
  • Bring the whole family along for the fun. Before we had my daughter our weekends were all about doing stuff we wanted to do as a couple, but now its about having the whole extended family come along. Been able to do a weekend trip out with taking just one car is such a nicer experience than taking too cars. Not unique to the X, but the 6 seater version still offers the 3rd row passenger a nice seating experience
    42414039144_87acd7eea4_z_d.jpg

The rest of EV stuff the X can do just as well as any 3 or S, but if you have kids you will not find a better family car than the X regardless how its powered.

We absolutely love ours, and whilst not fault free am more than happy with it to keep it longterm and way past the warranty period. One of the criticisms always levelled at the EVs is they are 'soulless' and for some of the generic boxes on wheels like the MGZ coming out thats probably true. But our X is now like a member of the family, and like all members of the family you put with odd occasionsal hiccups because thats what families do :).

48395616702_8efcc81495_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
My circumstances are different to yours but some of the same arguments should apply.

Principal among them was (reference @SwedishAdvocate's info above) that I simply was not going to buy an ICE car in 2019. Going EV over ICE at this time in history, given what we know about our effects on this planet, I felt "those that can, must". I was happy to pay a premium.

Add some solar panels and you dramatically further reduce the emissions associated with your miles travelled. I'm in the sticks too, which tends to make this doable and financially it's now an excellent investment. You can genuinely say that having them is cheaper than not.

Do a proper cash flow estimate for the life of the car. Buying price alone is no means for comparison. It's obviously an expensive car but the extra cost once all items are considered may be less than you think. For my circumstances (business use, high miles, kept for a long time) an S didn't look THAT much more expensive than something like your comparable skoda. Some of my advantages (eg accelerated capital allowances) you don't have but many you do, Eg I genuinely expect routine servicing to be a lot cheaper.

I kept my last car to 175k miles anyway, but there are certainly folk about who would've habitually changed cars at only a few years old who expect to keep their Teslas for much much longer. If you share this view, adjust your cash flow for this, or divide it by miles travelled for a per mile measure. Then an EV looks great value. Perhaps even a Model X!

My last car I bought for £12k and it did me 130k+ miles. I would've probably spent £20k on a diesel this time if it wasn't for climate change. I bought a new Model S.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your incredibly interesting and informative replies and sorry about not getting back to thank you earlier but grandson minding duties today took precedence!
We test drove an X over a year ago and both loved it. I very nearly committed twice, once just before the big price drop and the other just before the Falcon refresh!! Both times I chickened out because I felt I couldn’t justify it (plus my 101 year old Dad is beginning to cost a bit in care costs!).
In response to some of the comments as we have had motorhomes for over 15 years we have seen just about all of Scotland (don’t have a go at me please I’m one of the good guys who will always pull in to let folk pass). A tractor to replace my kit built Siromer is a thought but not as much fun as a Tesla I’m sure. The Skoda has more rear seat legroom than any car I have ever seen, including the X (except for possibly a stretch limo) plus ample luggage space - it even has a TV, rarely used as the picture switches off when moving but useful for watching the 6 Nations rugby! Plus heated ventilated seats, full length opening sun roof, self parking, cruise control, adaptive lighting, etc etc.
So it boils down to saving the environment, which is something that really appeals, plus a drive that would put a smile on our faces (especially the grandchildren).
Thanks for all your advice, I now need to do some real heavy thinking.
Tony

We've had our X for 18 months and 25k miles. Given Tesla's mixed reputation for build quality and reliability, I thought it was a bit of a gamble when we bought it, but have had no regrets since and my wife has now ordered a Model 3 to replace her current diesel. As other owners have said, It is an amazing and surprisingly versatile machine if you can afford one. Our kids absolutely love being driven in the X. A Skoda is just another dull car and pales in comparison. The X is more like a "super-SUV"!

I would suggest taking another long test drive of the X and then the Skoda and see how you feel about being in both of them.

Reactions: Rooster6655
A tractor to replace my kit built Siromer is a thought but not as much fun as a Tesla I’m sure. ..
Tony

Probably not if it's a small croft. My acreage includes 3 steep hillsides and topping those with a 43HP s very slow and seriously scary (or fun if you like that sort of thing). Mr Farmer down the road sometimes does it for me.. his Valtra costs more than an X but can do one slope in 3 hrs that takes me a week and he has fun racing cross-wise where I'd slowly plod up and down.
That's not to say the S isn't fun but always in the back of my mind is Tesla's current poor rep on fixing stuff and prices and the terrible depreciation and failed promises. I still love driving the darned thing, though.

Probably not if it's a small croft. My acreage includes 3 steep hillsides and topping those with a 43HP s very slow and seriously scary (or fun if you like that sort of thing). Mr Farmer down the road sometimes does it for me.. his Valtra costs more than an X but can do one slope in 3 hrs that takes me a week and he has fun racing cross-wise where I'd slowly plod up and down.
That's not to say the S isn't fun but always in the back of my mind is Tesla's current poor rep on fixing stuff and prices and the terrible depreciation and failed promises. I still love driving the darned thing, though.

Who’d have thought to get an agricultural discussion going on a Tesla forum!! Just finished the 2nd topping of the season - only 6 acres relatively flat but the grass is growing so fast the sheep aren’t doing their job! Took about 5 hours to do the lot.
Back to Tesla I’m 90% there! They have a new inventory one in my spec but as I’m away soon until September I don’t want it that soon. My current plan is to order a custom X when we get back. Problem is my money is in stocks and shares and look what’s happening to the stock market what with USA / China and Brexit. May not be able to afford a new car in a month!

With the application of a large amount of unjustifiable man maths I finally received permission from my wife and a new custom X has been ordered

Woohoo!

There must be many of you who are or have been in the same boat.

hehehe ... Model-S was about 3x what we normally spend on a car. I could afford a Ferrari ... but I never have, although I hankered after one, because I could never persuade myself that i should have something so utterly useless day-to-day. But ... the Model-S is faster, carries 5 adults, huge amounts of cargo, costs less than 3p a mile to drive; we are a very wannabe-Eco family and, at the time, I had just been shafted by VW DieselGate and was looking around for a replacement for Blue Motion Golf ... hadn't realised, until then, that Tesla existed and that 250 mile real world range EV was possible.

Some considerable discussion about "flashy", but discounted that and here we are more than 3 years on :)

I need an excuse (mainly for my wife)

Ah.. Man Maths, my First Language :)

But for you saying that you swung it past management I would have suggested (as above) getting your wife to the test drive. Driving EV is different to ICE, far preferable. My wife loves it ... especially when she has to ferry some business Blokes in the car ... she did have an RS4 some decades ago ... the Blokes were impressed with that. She knew nothing about it ... except to be able to quote the Horsepower and 0-60 time ... which was sufficient to make the Blokes think she knew about every nut and piston ring!

My wife hates automatics (the "not in control" thing), but Tesla isn't like that - no gears, no automatic-shift-jerk and so on.

I'll be amazed if you, and your wife, say anything other than "Never ICE again" after you've done 1,000 EV miles

I am retired

Grandkids? Much easier to get them in/out of the back with the Falcon Wing doors "up" ... especially if raining.

nearly all on non motorway

Autopilot on Dual Carriageway dramatically reduces driver workload. Very important that you don't get lulled into false sense of security ... so beware of that, but you will arrive far more refreshed than you used to, and one "save" of an incident is hard to put a price on of course. The car's AutoPilot vigilance alongside the driver doing "lookout" is a far better outcome than "driver alone" I reckon

the high tech of a Tesla

Software is my day job, and I hate most tech (as being poorly implemented). I have very high regard of the usability of Tesla Tech. If your ageing eyes are struggling you might have issues with top/bottom of screen because of that ... on previous version it was easier to move stuff top/bottom of the screen - my wife and I had difference preferences, due to different eye-abilities :) So that might be something to be aware of.

I read about Tesla owners having all sorts of build quality and service centre issues

I'm not going to belittle it ... but read any forum and you will get the impression that that Brand is awful - generally only people with problems are posting - but that said plenty of "Happy campers" on the Tesla forum.

Getting Tesla spares and service is like being a naive apprentice and being sent to stores for "a long weight" :( If Tesla give you a loaner that's one thing, but having a second car definitely an advantage. My car has been at Tesla for a month on a couple of occasions (in 3 years). One was for a headlight fault which I have not heard anyone else having, so I'm happy that was a one-off. The other was for some panel damage an idiot did to the car and took ages to get parts and have them fitted etc. (wish I had had the dent "pulled" instead of taking the other party's insurance money and getting "replaced panels" to be sure of a pukka job). Even a routine Service that also needed a replacement boot-catch because it wasn't always "grabbing" it electrically took a week ...

But I have had the car serviced a bit less than once a year (30,000 miles p.a. for me), and apart from that my grumbles are that I get cold air, in Winter, on my feet an hour into a journey, and some static on the radio - which was fixed in a software update .. .and then unfixed in a subsequent one :( I would have another one without blinking - in the full knowledge that I would have to be ready to apply some "Tesla patience" to counteract Tesla Chaos.

There are definitely stories of repeat problems not being solved, but I am inclined to think that was mostly on older cars. The model-3s are being washed and handed over all within 30 minutes and, mostly, no faults found.

You are out in the sticks by sounds of it so don’t worry about guilt of diesel

Sorry, I have a different view, as I am always lecturing to my rich-barsteward-mates

If you can afford it you should be doing it NOW. The planet won't wait. Move your Diesel on to someone less fortunate who can make use of it (your old diesel is most likely much cleaner than their VERY old diesel), get the EV and then you will also be moving that on (sooner than if you wait-to-buy) which will also help, over time.

Those of my Rich-barsteward-mates, who haven't got an Eco-bone in their body, are starting to say "If I buy a new Diesel, now, it will be worth Zilch in 5 years when I want to move it on" so that alone is putting them off Diesel ... not quite a level playing field Petrol vs EV ... but ...