Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help me to understand about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on another thread, but really want to create this own thread since I really don't understand and I worry that I have to spend money on my future MY. This is my first time to get involved with "Tesla owners". I was amazed by how people obsessed with Tesla. Let me know if this is true. I own many luxury cars, BMW, BENZ and Lexus, I never bother to spend any money after I bought those cars. I just buy them, drive them, don't take care of them that much, then sell them. To me, it's just a car, it helps you to get to A to B, that's it. But I spent brief time looking at this forum, I see people spent like thousands of dollars after they buy the Tesla. To me, a company like Tesla, BMW, or Lexus they already spent a lot of money on R&D to make the car looks good already, why spending more money to make Tesla look different. Does this forum represent a minority of Tesla owners or the majority? I have to admit, I am not obsessed with Tesla, the reason I buy Tesla because Tesla has 3 years ahead of other EV makers, and I just want to drive EV from now solely because of "GREEN". I plan to spend zero $ on Tesla after I buy it. Just drive then sell it. The care should serve me, not me serving the car. Looking at this forum, it looks like people serve their Tesla rather than let the car Tesla serve them. I could be wrong though...
This really makes me think that do Tesla vehicles are that bad so people have to spend money to look better and spend money to protect it. Speaking of protection, I never even think about protecting car's paint for my entire life? Why people spend money to protect Tesla's paint? because it's that bad? I see people in this forum spend like 10K to protect Tesla. I am sorry, but I really don't understand the rationale. First of all, if you spend 10K to protect the paint, would you be better off to repaint it. I really don't understand, help me out. Now, I worry about my future Tesla, I really don't want to spend any money on it. I worry that I have to spend because of Tesla's quality.
So the question is, do I really have to spend money on Tesla after I buy it, otherwise my Tesla will be bad. If this is the case, I might think to cancel my $100. I never have to spend any money on my other luxury cars after I bought them, except fixing the car issues off course :)

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney , yah, I was really shocked by the level of obsession. Give Tesla credit though if that is the case.
But to be honest, with due all respect, not trying to bash anyone here, but to me it's more than obsession, more like insanity. How can you spend 10K of accessories after you buy 50K car? I really don't get it. Maybe it's just me. I never serve my car, don't wash them, don't wax them, don't detail them. The car should serve me, not the other way around. Never spend money on accessories, to me, car makers already spend a lot of time to design and make the car look good already.

...Why people spend money to protect Tesla's paint? because it's that bad?...

I've bought 3 different Tesla cars since 2012 and I've never had to buy any enhancement except for one tiny cost for the clear film (under $10) so I can glue my Car Pool Lane stickers on them instead of on the cars themselves.

I've found Tesla paints are just as good as others. I sold my 2012 after 5 years and almost 100,000 miles and its paint still looked shiny, glossy, and brand new.

Some people would like to spend a fortune to groom their cars and I don't see there's anything wrong with that as long as that makes them happy.

A car is just a car. Point a to b.

Do you have a home? Is it furnished? Do you have any decorations? Any art? Any improvements? Do you clean it?

Why? It’s just a place to sleep. Yet, I'm sure you do.

just as some have intense pride in their homes, some people have the same with their cars.

It’s kind of snobbish and arrogant to even pose those impressions and questions...

I agree that you don't have to change or add anything to be able to drive a Tesla vehicle. To be able to fully enjoy owning any vehicle certain aftermarket accessories can improve the driving experience. If you live in the southwest or the gulf coast then tinting the windows beyond the factory tint makes the vehicle stay cooler, more comfortable. Same for the glass roof, a tint film or a sun shade can definitely help cut down on the cabin heating effect.

If you live in the higher elevations in the western states, the Midwest, the Great Lakes region or the Northeast then winter tires are not just a good idea, they may be required by law when driving in snow conditions throughout the winter months. So right there you are spending at least $1,000 just for a set of 4 winter tires, not including wheels.

Paint protection film (PPF) is a relatively new technology. If used to protect the frontal areas of the vehicle the cost is not that great and the PPF may help preserve the appearance, protect the paint from insects, sand and small pebbles. Wrapping the whole vehicle in PPF can change the color and appearance of the whole car, it's fun for the owner.

I do recognize that California is the where car customization started, took off in a big way back in the second half of the 20th century. In an electric vehicle you can't improve the engine since there isn't one, same for the exhaust system. The one thing you can readily do is change the size and style of the wheels, raise or maybe lower the vehicle a bit.

Just wait a few years; I imagine that car designers are already working on electrochromatic films that will enable you to change the color and texture of the vehicle to suit your mood; unless the Dept.of Motor Vehicles and Law Enforcement object to vehicles that can instantly change color.

Last edited:
@steve841 , I never meant to be a snob. People here in this forum are awesome, good and nice people. I am very sorry that my statements offend anyone. That was not my intention. People have the right to do whatever they want with their cars, it's their money and their time.
I just try to understand why it does not happen with other communities like BMW owners or Benz owners. It is because of Tesla that makes people obsessed with the car?
Yes, we do furniture the house, make the house look good. Yes, we do take care of our car, make our car look good. But we don't spend tons of resources on them. We are talking about the level of obsession with Tesla here. Sorry, but to me, spending over 10K with 50K car is a little bit of obssesion. Again, not bashing anyone, just trying to understand. Maybe there is a good reason behind it.
Anyway, just trying to understand, don't get me wrong. You can do whatever you like with your car, it's NOT my business. The reason I started this thread because I wonder people have to do it because Tesla is a bad car out of the gate so people have to spend money on it. Like painting, the paint is so fragile so people have to spend money to protect it. If that's the case, then I want to cancel my $100. That's the main point I want to know since I never own a Tesla.

@steve841 , I never meant to be a snob. People here in this forum are awesome, good and nice people. I am very sorry that my statements offend anyone. That was not my intention. People have the right to do whatever they want with their cars, it's their money and their time.
I just try to understand why it does not happen with other communities like BMW owners or Benz owners. It is because of Tesla that makes people obsessed with the car?
Yes, we do furniture the house, make the house look good. Yes, we do take care of our car, make our car look good. But we don't spend tons of resources on them. We are talking about the level of obsession with Tesla here. Sorry, but to me, spending over 10K with 50K car is a little bit of obssesion. Again, not bashing anyone, just trying to understand. Maybe there is a good reason behind it.
Anyway, just trying to understand, don't get me wrong. You can do whatever you like with your car, it's NOT my business. The reason I started this thread because I wonder people have to do it because Tesla is a bad car out of the gate so people have to spend money on it. Like painting, the paint is so fragile so people have to spend money to protect it. If that's the case, then I want to cancel my $100. That's the main point I want to know since I never own a Tesla.
Tesla owners are indeed passionate about their cars. You don’t have to do everything they are doing. I am like you. I have had nice cars but I don’t change them after purchasing them. I have MY and I got front license plate mount, screen protector and snow tires. I may cover the lower front of the car with PPF but it will only cost $750. I did the same for my other cars. Your questions are fine.

Reactions: jcanoe
I’ve owned BMW and MINI before my Tesla. I strongly disagree that there is not a large market of owners modifying those cars. Both cosmetically and performance. Tesla is unusual to me in that there is very little you can really do to improve performance. Only cosmetic things.

No bigger turbos, no cylinder head mods, no remapping the air/fuel curve, no big bore kits...

I need some forged pistons!!!

Drive me and serve me...... Tell that to Audi owners. Despite the initial defects, Tesla rarely ends up in warranty service centers or repairs. Can't say that about other ICE cars.

Anyways, Tesla is more than just an EV vehicle. If that's what you want or care about, then there are plenty of other choices that are more luxurious and better looking (IMHO) I suggest you take one for a test drive or even an extended test drive if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Reactions: CleverUsername
To some, including myself, it’s a hobby that is fun (and sometimes expensive). I bought a nice bed because I spend a good portion of my life sleeping in it. I bought a nice car because it is essential for me to be able to travel to live my life and I want to enjoy that time because I can’t get it back. You can always make more money, but you can’t buy back those hours of your life spent doing things like sleeping or driving. Adding extras is the icing on the cake. For a lot of enthusiasts, we get upset when we can’t modify our cars. The new C8 corvette is a good example with people trying to tune them with twin turbo setups. As technology advances it inevitably becomes more difficult in some circumstances to customize our possessions. iPhone & jail breaking, Tesla and customizing the display screen. Being able to ‘fine tune’ the setup of my car is what I enjoy reading, learning and doing. Manufacturers do a good job, but why not take it a step further. Some good ideas and improvements have come out of independent people reinventing the wheel.
My father would agree with you, however. He’s never understood why people put more money into their cars when all they’re meant to do is transport people. He does enjoy cooking and experimenting with different foods & flavors whereas I am more of a “salt and pepper is good enough” kind of person.

I will do the same thing to my Tesla when I get it as I do to all my vehicles. Floor/cargo liners and Studded/Snow Tires. Because it's a car and not a truck, PPF in key areas. Sometimes my vehicles will need odds and ends to make things better. The latest upgrades from Tesla by providing storage for sentry mode and wireless charging pads are things I won't have to add, but would have.

One thing that is unique to EVs, if you haven't had one before you will most likely end up having to spend money to charge at home. But of course that carries over to your next EV...

Just wait a few years; I imagine that car designers are already working on electrochromatic films that will enable you to change the color and texture of the vehicle to suit your mood; unless the Dept.of Motor Vehicles and Law Enforcement object to vehicles that can instantly change color.
The ability to change car color on the fly could greatly complicate cop chases.

Tesla owners are indeed passionate about their cars. You don’t have to do everything they are doing. I am like you. I have had nice cars but I don’t change them after purchasing them. I have MY and I got front license plate mount, screen protector and snow tires. I may cover the lower front of the car with PPF but it will only cost $750. I did the same for my other cars. Your questions are fine.
Have you decided on all-weather mats yet?

Have you decided on all-weather mats yet?
Yes I forgot met mention earlier in the thread that I purchased 3D maxspider 9 piece all season mats. I am a Gallup strength finder “learner”. I spent way too much time researching car mats. Since I am in mn I have always bought all season mats. I had research fatigue so I did not wait for a good deal and bought them before Black Friday. Also bought homelink and jack pads. Cars mats looks very nice and are a great fit.

over the last 10 years I had lost interest in cars. Having kids and super busy professional life can do that to you. Tesla has changed my perspective. It is good for environment, it can improve over time and fun to drive. I recently hand washed my car with the help of my kids. I had not washed any car on my own since I sold my Porsche Boxster which was sold as I had kids and needed a convertible with back seats.

This is an amazing community. People take time to help each other. It has been a tough year and finding this community and buying my first Tesla has been a bright spot in a difficult year.

@loanchau2k, I have thought some of the same things. I was not aware of how many people modify their cars after buying them. The most puzzling modification to me is lowering a car - creating more issues for hitting curbs and dealing with road unevenness. But since my eyes having been opened:
  1. I see people who buy other cars also make modifications. Not just high end cars, go look at the Ford Focus enthusiasts.
  2. Only a small subset of Tesla owners are doing the things highly discussed on the forums. From the forums, you would thing EVERYONE is doing chrome delete and window tinting. From the cross section of Tesla’s I see at superchargers, very few have these mods.
  3. You multiple times referenced $10k mods.... I’m sure there are very few who have spent that much.
So no mods are needed. But I do truly recommend ceramic coating on the paint. I discovered that before I discovered Tesla and it helps the dirt slide off the car.

Reactions: Frank N. Stein