Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help - Model X disappeared from account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And just to make life more difficult.. Check your registration. About 18 years ago a DMV drone managed to fat-finger the VIN number on the registration and title for a new Civic I had bought. I didn't catch it until a year or two later when, for no particular reason, I happened to actually read the VIN number under the windshield.

It didn't get fixed until the year an offspring bought the car off of me, took the car to another state, at which point new registration, title, and insurance went through with the right numbers.

Wouldn't it be weird if some back-end comparison failed and started all this on the Model X because somebody put a digit down wrong?
Confirmed it is the same VIN luckily. I am eagerly awaiting them to open tomorrow to talk to someone about this whole thing.

So I tried a few Tesla stores this morning (while waiting for the main line to open up) and a service center near me had a nice guy who looked into my issue for about 20 minutes. He saw my past payments, my past service appointments and confirmed the car seemed to be owned under the Tesla entity, not transferred to another user.

He suggested it was an ownership issue and had me call the main line again. I was able to get in touch with a guy who sent me an email from [email protected] requesting my ownership docs. I just sent those over so hopefully it gets put back under my account sooner rather than later. I hope I don’t run into the nightmare that one guy on here had where they refused to verify him as owner despite him sending all the required docs.

I am thinking this was some idiot fatfingering a VIN and putting my vehicle as a return/trade in. I can’t believe it would be this easy to make such a big mistake.

Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of a panic attack here and this is getting weirder. After not hearing back from Tesla, I decided to call them back again today. After being escalated several times to their back office staff supervisor to review my ownership documents, it was determined that my vehicle was removed from my account due to being a LEASED vehicle.

I purchased this car used from a car dealership at the beginning of 2022, put down a huge down payment and did financing through US Bank, which I have been making payments on.

For now to learn that the previous and first owner never owned the vehicle and traded in a leased vehicle to a dealership as if he owned it, I am having a freak out. They basically said they couldn’t help me and gave me the number to their finance department which doesn’t even connect to a live person. It just says to email [email protected].

I am completely appalled by this situation and have no idea what I’m going to do next. Anyone have any advice?

For now to learn that the previous and first owner never owned the vehicle and traded in a leased vehicle to a dealership as if he owned it, I am having a freak out. They basically said they couldn’t help me and gave me the number to their finance department which doesn’t even connect to a live person. It just says to email [email protected].

I am completely appalled by this situation and have no idea what I’m going to do next. Anyone have any advice?
Do you have the title? It sounds like your case would be with the dealer...

The title is with US Bank but I do have it registered with the state of NY. They issued me a copy of the title when I went to register it at the DMV in my state.
Interesting. That should mean either there was some funny business to get a clear title to sell you the vehicle, or Tesla has screwed up their paperwork and forgot that they sold the vehicle and gave out the title.

If I (or US Bank) have the title of the car, what can we do at this point? It seems Tesla won’t even help me at this point.

What if I used my title to sell this car to a carmax or something? Don’t I technically own the car regardless of what Tesla says?

If I (or US Bank) have the title of the car, what can we do at this point? It seems Tesla won’t even help me at this point.

What if I used my title to sell this car to a carmax or something? Don’t I technically own the car regardless of what Tesla says?
You have the title (you and the bank) means others can't claim anything, is that correct?
Tesla should put you as owner in their system.

You have the title (you and the bank) means others can't claim anything, is that correct?
Tesla should put you as owner in their system.
Unfortunately despite presenting the documents to them, they have refused to do so and only directed me to a dead end finance department line.

Do they have any recourse to get the car back if I and the bank have the title?

Def strange case n alarming that its the 2nd one on here with the car dissapearing from owners account...
Either Tesla having title/ownership processing issues or something shady going on...
Like it was suggested in other posters case, maybe take it to news if Tesla is not responsive.
This whole connected car business with 2 diff systems (dmv vs tesla) is worrisome..

• Disagree
Reactions: NevG
Just spoke with the dealership and they have the documents showing they paid off a bank loan as well as received the title from the first owner. They assured me (and will share the docs too) that there is no chance this is a leased vehicle.

The dealership is emailing Tesla finance as we speak but I am not sure anyone at Tesla is going to work with us here.

I am honestly thinking of just selling the car and being rid of this headache given we have the title. This is absurd.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I don’t know if this factors into your case. My understanding is that the lease terms specify that only the lessee can execute the lease buyout option. At least one other forum member ran into this when trying to buy a leased MX that someone else traded in to a dealer. Tesla wouldn’t accept payment from the dealer.

However, in your case you seem to have the title. That being the case, Tesla must have released ownership interest. And I doubt if any bank would have financed the car without their hands on a clear title. It sounds like your problem is within the Tesla infrastructure. I think you’re probably OK from a legal ownership perspective but I would keep escalating until someone at Tesla figures out what happened.

Does anyone here know how to get in touch with a live person at Tesla finance? Their phone line does not have any ability to connect to talk to anyone.

Their normal support line seems to be completely separate and they refuse to even discuss it. They just direct me to finance to discuss.

I just read your most recent post. If it wasn’t a Tesla leased car, obviously my comment doesn’t apply. Good luck with this. It is becoming a nightmare to get decent service/support from any company these days when navigating through the quagmire of automated attendants and offshore “agents “ working off of scripts.

This ridiculous saga continues. The dealership I bought it from contacted Tesla finance with their title document from when they purchased it from the first owner. The person on the phone then said they have no record of the VIN being on either lease or loan and then told us to contact customer support again lol.

Never again with this damn company.

I just read your most recent post. If it wasn’t a Tesla leased car, obviously my comment doesn’t apply. Good luck with this. It is becoming a nightmare to get decent service/support from any company these days when navigating through the quagmire of automated attendants and offshore “agents “ working off of scripts.
I think at this point I have no idea if it was a lease or not but the dealership I purchased it from showed me a title document where they bought the car from a major bank, NOT from Tesla or their leasing company. I suspect this is not a lease and Tesla just has no idea what they are doing.

This ridiculous saga continues. The dealership I bought it from contacted Tesla finance with their title document from when they purchased it from the first owner. The person on the phone then said they have no record of the VIN being on either lease or loan and then told us to contact customer support again lol.

Never again with this damn company.
I'm so sorry to hear about your continued problems. The way that Tesla is treating you is utterly ridiculous. I'd be over-the-top annoyed (read pissed) as well.
Is there an investigative news agency, new "problem solver", or something that would take up your story.
That would light a fire under them.

QypGMGd.jpg