Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help - Model X disappeared from account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so sorry to hear about your continued problems. The way that Tesla is treating you is utterly ridiculous. I'd be over-the-top annoyed (read pissed) as well.
Is there an investigative news agency, new "problem solver", or something that would take up your story.
That would light a fire under them.

QypGMGd.jpg
I think I will have to go this route. I am going to think on it the rest of this week. Who knows if my story is interesting enough for them to take on?

My other option to wash my hands clean of this whole fiasco and this company and just go sell the car given I have the title, registration, etc. How would Tesla have any recourse when they don’t have any proof of their nonsense? Of course, I would feel bad for the next owner, but I really just want to end this chapter with Tesla for good.

Another update as I called into customer service once more this evening. Spoke with a very nice lady who was incredibly empathetic and promised she would follow up with me on Friday at a specific time. She seemed to see that the car was in their lease inventory fleet, but also confirmed everything I said and that the situation made no sense to her. Unfortunately once it’s in the inventory fleet, she can’t transfer it back to me or another user.

I think I will have to go this route. I am going to think on it the rest of this week. Who knows if my story is interesting enough for them to take on?

My other option to wash my hands clean of this whole fiasco and this company and just go sell the car given I have the title, registration, etc. How would Tesla have any recourse when they don’t have any proof of their nonsense? Of course, I would feel bad for the next owner, but I really just want to end this chapter with Tesla for good.

Another update as I called into customer service once more this evening. Spoke with a very nice lady who was incredibly empathetic and promised she would follow up with me on Friday at a specific time. She seemed to see that the car was in their lease inventory fleet, but also confirmed everything I said and that the situation made no sense to her. Unfortunately once it’s in the inventory fleet, she can’t transfer it back to me or another user.

If there is a service center (or a second one if that's the case) anywhere near you, drive in there and talk to them. Sometimes they can send an email that'll go through when none of ours would.

Be kind to them, it's not their fault! We are simply back to Elon's belief that talking to humans directly is always evil, only through a computer can things be done correctly!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If there is a service center (or a second one if that's the case) anywhere near you, drive in there and talk to them. Sometimes they can send an email that'll go through when none of ours would.

Be kind to them, it's not their fault! We are simply back to Elon's belief that talking to humans directly is always evil, only through a computer can things be done correctly!
Unfortunately I’ve done that already and as soon as they see the status of the car, they immediately stop wanting to talk whatsoever. It seems like Tesla’s finance dept/leasing dept are completely detached from their customer service and detached from their service centers that the employees can’t or won’t even communicate with one another.

Dang this is so messed up, I really hope you can get prompt resolution on this.

So if I read correctly, Tesla confirmed the VIN is showing up on their “lease” vehicle? and you have had this vehicle for a year already and making payments?

Do you know how many owners has the car had?

Dang this is so messed up, I really hope you can get prompt resolution on this.

So if I read correctly, Tesla confirmed the VIN is showing up on their “lease” vehicle? and you have had this vehicle for a year already and making payments?

Do you know how many owners has the car had?
Yup, they inexplicably removed the car from my account randomly. I had ownership, it was attached to my account for about a year, but somehow it was “returned” to their lease inventory.

The dealership I bought it from shared their title transfer document with me which showed 1 previous owner (the first owner) and clearly it wasn’t a leased vehicle.

Yup, they inexplicably removed the car from my account randomly. I had ownership, it was attached to my account for about a year, but somehow it was “returned” to their lease inventory.

The dealership I bought it from shared their title transfer document with me which showed 1 previous owner (the first owner) and clearly it wasn’t a leased vehicle.

I'd be tempted to check VehicleHistory or AutoCheck or the like even if you had to pay something (ala $25). You could see titling and leasing.
Below are a couple of example from cars that we or someone we knew did. Note the second one showed a lease.

dG0xqZA.jpg

csWv0q1.jpg

I'd be tempted to check VehicleHistory or AutoCheck or the like even if you had to pay something (ala $25). You could see titling and leasing.
Below are a couple of example from cars that we or someone we knew did. Note the second one showed a lease.

dG0xqZA.jpg

csWv0q1.jpg
Thank you. I will pay for one of these tomorrow and see if I see anything.

Separate topic sort of, but how do I factory reset the car if my account info is not attached to the car? It requires a login to factory reset.

Anyone have a manual list of tasks to delete if I want to get rid of it?
- Spotify, Netflix etc logout
- manual deletion of gps locations
- home link,
- Bluetooth and seat profiles

Anything else?

Separate topic sort of, but how do I factory reset the car if my account info is not attached to the car? It requires a login to factory reset.

Anyone have a manual list of tasks to delete if I want to get rid of it?
- Spotify, Netflix etc logout
- manual deletion of gps locations
- home link,
- Bluetooth and seat profiles

Anything else?
Quick search found: how to reset your tesla when you sell it - Google Search

Good point about logging out of services but I think on most services like that you can log into the service website and logout 'tied' users/connections.

a) Procedure for performing a Tesla factory reset may be found under Controls > Settings > Service and reset > Factory Reset > Erase and reset.

b) Reset car and remove from your account. This may not work since it wants you to log in and, as you said, the VIN is not associated with your car currently.

Thank you. I will pay for one of these tomorrow and see if I see anything.
You can order a "Vehicle Record Request" from your DMV for $2.00
with the same information that the DMV will provide to those $25 private web sites.

Here is my receipt:
===============================================================
Order Summary
Shopping Cart Item Item Reference Amount Payment Status
Vehicle Record Request Plate Number: -------- $2.00 Paid (Confirmation below)

Here is my report sample:
Vehicle History Report

CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
REGISTRATION INFORMATION REQUEST
Reference: R---------
DATE: -- / -- / -- TIME: -- : --

INSURANCE INFORMATION ON FILE

REG VALID FROM: -- / -- / -- TO -- / -- / --

LIC#: ---------
YRMD: --
MAKE: ---
BTM :4H
VIN : --------

R/O : <first name - last name >

SOLD: -- / -- / --
RCID: -- / -- / --
OCID: -- / -- / --
LOCD: --

TYPE: --
POWR: --
VEH : --
BODY: --
CLAS: --

CLEARANCE INFORMATION RECORDS:

OFFICE WORK DATE TECH/ID SEQ # VALUE FICHE DATE TTC
===========================================================

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
to me the most alarming bit here is the unearned trust in the computer over the person. Nobody at Tesla calls someone to say "hey is your vehicle really leased or do you own it?" They don't do it with supercharging issues, they don't do it with anything. The computer is Lord, people are the slaves. I don't think this is a good business plan.
Feels like they don’t want the car back but they also don’t want me to ever regain access again. I never want anything to do with this company again after this. This is one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

You can order a "Vehicle Record Request" from your DMV for $2.00
with the same information that the DMV will provide to those $25 private web sites.

Here is my receipt:
Order Summary
Shopping Cart Item Item Reference Amount Payment Status
Vehicle Record Request Plate Number: -------- $2.00 Paid (Confirmation below)

Here is my report sample:
Vehicle History Report

CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
REGISTRATION INFORMATION REQUEST
Reference: R---------
DATE: -- / -- / -- TIME: -- : --

INSURANCE INFORMATION ON FILE

REG VALID FROM: -- / -- / -- TO -- / -- / --

LIC#: ---------
YRMD: --
MAKE: ---
BTM :4H
VIN : --------

R/O : <first name - last name >

SOLD: -- / -- / --
RCID: -- / -- / --
OCID: -- / -- / --
LOCD: --

TYPE: --
POWR: --
VEH : --
BODY: --
CLAS: --

CLEARANCE INFORMATION RECORDS:

OFFICE WORK DATE TECH/ID SEQ # VALUE FICHE DATE TTC
===========================================================
Thanks for the tip. I guess this wouldn’t work though if I moved to a different state/DMV office right?

Feels like they don’t want the car back but they also don’t want me to ever regain access again. I never want anything to do with this company again after this. This is one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

Just me, I'm with you. But we have to admit that 10 years ago nobody had access to their car, except with the key.

You also might consider contacting your state's attorney general's office. If you file a complaint to them they may follow up for you. Also, feel free to go to small claims court. If the claim value is low enough, Tesla often doesn't even show up and they just grant you whatever you ask.

• Helpful
I wonder, for the sake of curiosity, and if the dealer you bought it from is game, if you could sell it back to them, they pay off the loan, wait for clear title, and transfer ownership to them, and let them try to clear up the paperwork at Tesla?

I know you're apparently done with Tesla, but it seems like an error within Tesla that needs to be fixed, or at least highlighted.

If you changed your mind and did want to keep the car, maybe you could sign a rental agreement to keep driving the car while it transfers back to the dealer, and a re-purchase agreement to buy it back once the title is clear. Most dealers rent cars all the time, they have agreements ready to go.

If you still just want out, selling it back to the dealer seems like a pretty ethical path, as you're not burdening a new owner with the issues.

Just a thought. Good luck, this is horrible.

Reactions: brainhouston
I wonder, for the sake of curiosity, and if the dealer you bought it from is game, if you could sell it back to them, they pay off the loan, wait for clear title, and transfer ownership to them, and let them try to clear up the paperwork at Tesla?

I know you're apparently done with Tesla, but it seems like an error within Tesla that needs to be fixed, or at least highlighted.

If you changed your mind and did want to keep the car, maybe you could sign a rental agreement to keep driving the car while it transfers back to the dealer, and a re-purchase agreement to buy it back once the title is clear. Most dealers rent cars all the time, they have agreements ready to go.

If you still just want out, selling it back to the dealer seems like a pretty ethical path, as you're not burdening a new owner with the issues.

Just a thought. Good luck, this is horrible.
Thank you for the advice on this. I just asked my dealership if they were willing to take the car back as a trade-in and they said they most definitely would. The GM at the dealership said the title transfer means this is not my responsibility after I pay off my loan and get the title. I shouldn’t worry about figuring out what is likely to be an administrative mistake by Tesla. Unfortunately for me, I moved out of state to the other side of the country so shipping it to them is not worth it.

I think I will likely just sell this car locally and be done with this situation. We have all the evidence and documentation to show the legitimate transactions of the title and the vehicle. I considered pursuing legal action against Tesla but it is not worth a potentially long drawn out process and legal costs when I don’t want to deal with this car or company anymore.

I think I will likely just sell this car locally and be done with this situation. We have all the evidence and documentation to show the legitimate transactions of the title and the vehicle. I considered pursuing legal action against Tesla but it is not worth a potentially long drawn out process and legal costs when I don’t want to deal with this car or company anymore.
So currently the Tesla (for you or future owner)
a) can be charged at home or free destination (or J1772 w/adapter) chargers ... but it can't be charged at a Supercharger?
b) cannot be connected to their phone via the Tesla app (or any 3rd party app) since it doesn't show up on the Tesla account?

So currently the Tesla (for you or future owner)
a) can be charged at home or free destination (or J1772 w/adapter) chargers ... but it can't be charged at a Supercharger?
b) cannot be connected to their phone via the Tesla app (or any 3rd party app) since it doesn't show up on the Tesla account?
Correct, I was able to charge it on destination or third party chargers (like ChargePoint) but not superchargers.

Other issues with this long term:
- since there is no account access, I can’t ever submit service requests despite it being under warranty. If I walked into a service center with this, would they refuse to give me the car back?
- no premium connectivity since the car is not attached to an account
- no phone key obviously

Otherwise the car actually works just fine. I even drove it around today.

And considering they show the car in their leasing inventory according to Tesla customer service, they have not ever reached out to me and according to the dealership, the original owner has not been reached out to either to “return” the “leased” vehicle.

And considering they show the car in their leasing inventory according to Tesla customer service, they have not ever reached out to me and according to the dealership, the original owner has not been reached out to either to “return” the “leased” vehicle.
Thanks. Well you have a lot of patience as I would have ran a VehicleHistory or AutoCheck already even for what it cost.

Autocheck comparison to carfax and benefits. AutoCheck.com
Edmunds article: AutoCheck vs Carfax: Which Vehicle History Report Is Best for You? | Edmunds

Well good luck. I've probably helped as much as I've could (looking up things/posting) because I felt bad for you and your situation.