Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help on abnormal tire wear (Track). Thanks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will definitely be getting adjustable front upper control arms and rear camber arms soon. Do you have any brand recommendations, I see MPP and UP, and am deciding between the two. Also what degree camber are you running in the front & rear for the track? Thanks.
I have both fuca. UPP allows to adjust caster and dial exact camber, it's expensive and heavier, but done well. No complaints about MPP.

You need to find your camber based on your track, tires, driving style - target to get the same temps inside and outside. But it's more than stock. And with 295 tires you need more camber to fit.

Hello Everyone,
I experienced what I think is some abnormal tire wear at the track (driver side front&rear inner tire peeling) 9,000mi on tires (daily driven & track 2 times). I'm just looking for people's input on what you guys think may be causing this sort of tread wear. Some of the reasons I'm thinking are too low tire pressures, lowering the car w/ out camber arms (visually my camber looks neutral still, but maybe I should get my alignment checked professionally), CCW track direction, tire manufacturer defect. Appreciate any input, thanks!

Background info: 2020 Model 3 Performance w/ aftermarket 20x9 et 38 wheels on 245 35 R20 PS4S tires (passenger side rear replaced @ 5000mi due to nail in sidewall), running 38 HOT in the front and 36 HOT in the rear for track tire pressures. I went to the track twice w/ these tires at Streets of Willow, both times running CCW. My times are around 1:29 - 1:32. Other aftermarket upgrades: Eibach lowering springs, Eibach front & rear sway bars, MPP front&rear rotors, steel brake lines, Endless EX99 pads, & Castrol SRF fluid.

View attachment 630579

at first glance you are overdriving that car and the toe is off. the LF tire is overheating and chunking. the LR tire is beyond chunking. you would also likely benefit from more camber, which, ironically will wear your tires quicker with street driving

i looked at your alignment sheet but it was all in degrees so i had to run it through some calculators. I am only looking at the values for the two tires of concern. your FL (.02 total toe, doesn't account for your out of whack RF) alignment was previously fine and your RL don't look that bad either (0.02 total toe). so now I am confused. if the wear was more even on the edge, I would say it was camber, but the pictures look like toe

either way, both the front and rear look much better now. I typically run 1/16 total toe out in front and 1/8 total tow in rear. i've run 0 toe all around also. the tire temps seem maybe a little high, but i have not driven those tires in ages. you can mark your sidewalls and lower the pressure. just make sure you're not rolling over your sidewalls