Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help read license plate from Sentry Clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my model 3's rear passenger side was side swapped pretty bad. I went thru all the Sentry clips and found the incident was captured. It was when I was dining out a few days back.

The man did not leave any notes or anything so I am trying to get his plates, thankfully the right side camera did capture it but I am having a hard time reading it.

video of actual incident - clip of actual swipe.mp4
video of minute after swipe - after swipe,reparked.mp4
video where car leaves and I get a glance of his plates - possible licnese plate.mp4
picture of plates that was captured from last clip - license_plate.JPG

Can someone with expertise in this area please help me identify the plate?

some facts
-Location of incident: 6779 N 5th St, Philadelphia, PA 19126
-car model looks like dark navy Toyota Avalon

pics of dmg

Last edited:
Would help to know the state this occurred in. Looks like it's a Pennsylvania license plate, and the car is a Toyota. First three letters to me look like JMP, and I agree with @ShawnA that the numbers look like 7245.

I wish you luck and hope you catch this scumbag. Videos like this are infuriating.

There is a camera mounted on the pole in the middle of your video with 2 spot lights on top. Ask the business to try to get video from that?

I think it looks like LMR-7265 but you were clearly very unlucky with the video glitch timing... and the jerk parking next to you.

edit: From the google maps view there appears to be 5 cameras on the fronts of that strip of businesses. Call each one and ask if you can view footage?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
All I know from television is that you need to stand in a room full of people with this video playing on a large screen. Then yell out "Enhance!" and the image should become clearer.

Hope that helps! :)

I hear you!

csi.gif

car model looks like dark navy Toyota Avalon

It looks like it is in the 2008-2010 model year range based on headlight design and fascia design. Experts in the very fine details might be able to narrow it down more.

Call your insurance company and see what they can do for a reverse license plate lookup with this refining information. They definitely can look up license plates, but maybe they can do reverse searches.

Technically there should be no reason they can't take the full list of registration information they have and narrow it down by model year (2008-2010), vehicle type (so, clearly 2008-2010 Toyota Avalon, maybe an XL trim level, definitely NOT Limited), and color. It's clearly a PA plate, so there can't be THAT many vehicles in PA matching all of those details. You should ask whether they can do this.

That may narrow it down enough to get a match, I would think.

You also have a clear image of the owner (or at least the driver) which should help eliminate false accusations. He also has extremely obvious damage to his vehicle on the bumper cover.

Good luck. That's something like $10k in damage probably, so worth tracking him down...hopefully his liability limits are not the minimum allowed by law.

Why does the Sentry Mode video glitch like this so badly? Is that a memory card issue or a Sentry Mode issue?

As others have said, J looks like a decent guess for the start, and 5 for the end. The rest, who knows. I don't know anything about the sequential order of PA plates, but "J" lookups online seem to bring up a variety of model year vehicles in that approximate date range. But not sure. Could be "L" too.

Last edited:
I noticed my model 3's rear passenger side was side swapped pretty bad. I went thru all the Sentry clips and found the incident was captured. It was when I was dining out a few days back.

The man did not leave any notes or anything so I am trying to get his plates, thankfully the right side camera did capture it but I am having a hard time reading it.

video of actual incident - clip of actual swipe.mp4
video of minute after swipe - after swipe,reparked.mp4
video where car leaves and I get a glance of his plates - possible licnese plate.mp4
picture of plates that was captured from last clip - license_plate.JPG

Can someone with expertise in this area please help me identify the plate?

some facts
-Location of incident: 6779 N 5th St, Philadelphia, PA 19126
-car model looks like dark navy Toyota Avalon

pics of dmg
I couldn’t decipher either, but maybe one of the other vehicles or the restaurant videos could help.

I don’t run a front plate because they look like ass.

…and I would NEVER damage someone else’s car without either finding them or leaving an apologetic note with my contact info.
You don't get a choice in a lot of states. I tried it where I live and after the second $100 ticket I decided to drill the holes in my front bumper that I had avoided as long as possible.

Here's 2 searches on the above suggestions in PA:

View attachment 669648

and LMR7265 is:

View attachment 669651
Yes, a reverse search seems like the only way to go here. Too many possibilities. Hopefully the OP will contact his insurance company and have them try their lookup tool. Or he could just send them the video and see if they can work it through on their own. Getting videos from the businesses seems like a pain.

Call insurance, have them try to look it up... I've had good luck with this though haven't tried it with a partial plate (success depends on their capabilities for reverse lookup - there are probably just a handful of matching vehicles (2008-2010 Toyota Avalon XL, Dark Gray) with PA plates). Insurance company will be more helpful than the police, most likely!

The states not requiring a front license plate are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia. There are some that try to get around the law by placing the plate in the windshield. Washington state will exempt requiring a front plate if there is not an identifiable location for one.

Have you tried looking at the rear camera footage to see if when he was backing up, maybe you can see the reflection of the license plate in the bumper of one of the cars parked behind you? The only other thing I can think of is to go back to that same parking lot, maybe at the same time of day and even the same day of the week. Maybe that guy works there or stops there regularly and you can look for an Avalon with white scrapes on the front bumper.

Mike