Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help read license plate from Sentry Clip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The states not requiring a front license plate are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia. There are some that try to get around the law by placing the plate in the windshield. Washington state will exempt requiring a front plate if there is not an identifiable location for one.
I can see some nominal benefit in having front plates... red light cameras... accidents involving Tesla's, but not much more.

I don’t run a front plate because they look like ass.

…and I would NEVER damage someone else’s car without either finding them or leaving an apologetic note with my contact info.
We don’t have front plates in FL. What’s the point?

And like you noted, even if required they look stupid.

With that said many have given a lot of good info to go on regarding the car make model and plate. Good luck.

The states not requiring a front license plate are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia. There are some that try to get around the law by placing the plate in the windshield. Washington state will exempt requiring a front plate if there is not an identifiable location for one.
Only if "impossible" Tesla provides a stick on bracket so you can't avoid the front plate in Wa. “Impossible” (as defined under Washington Administrative Code 308-56A-500) means that “. . . there was nothing made by the manufacturer (to include, but not limited to, a bracket or the bumper of the vehicle) for the originally manufactured vehicle which would allow the license plate to be affixed to the vehicle in the manner prescribed in RCW 46.16A.200.”

Reactions: Gasaraki
Who issued that guy a license, anyway? When they find him, they need to take it away until he learns what every 10-year-old knows about how a steering wheel works.

…unless it was intentional and he was trying to cause as much damage as possible…

Some people just can’t drive. I saw someone at work swipe a car parking and it was a simple straight spot. Guy tried to pull in at an angle, hit the bumper corner then instead of aborting felt it was a good idea to continue forward and make it worse. Then backed out without straightening up so scraped the car more on the reverse to park elsewhere.

Didn’t leave a note, so I did 30 min later. Noticed at the end of the work day that my note was replaced with another so I’m going to assume that the guy came back later and did the right thing.

just on my way to work this morning i saw a new white model 3 charging in the street by my house that got totally rocked last night by (probably) a drunk driver....

the rear bumper demolished and the back driver's side tire and wheel perpendicular to the car!!!!

i feel so bad for the owner when he walks up to his car today and sees the damage

Thank God too (Indiana). Moving here from a state that required them was a relief. Same thing with their silly State inspection that really didn't do anything.

Here in Nevada they give us front plates but hardly anyone runs them because they're not allowed to ticket you for not using it. We don't want to mess up our bumpers.

We don’t have front plates in FL. What’s the point?

And like you noted, even if required they look stupid.

With that said many have given a lot of good info to go on regarding the car make model and plate. Good luck.

The entire point is to be identifiable.

Someone rear ends me, I want to see their plate in my camera. Otherwise, they can spin the wheel and take off.

Ask any LEO - they’ll tell you the same. Big help with identification.

I think they should be mandatory everywhere and fines for going without greatly increased. I don’t care what it looks like - I can’t see it from behind the wheel anyway.

And yes, my front plate is installed on both Teslas.

Who issued that guy a license, anyway? When they find him, they need to take it away until he learns what every 10-year-old knows about how a steering wheel works.

…unless it was intentional and he was trying to cause as much damage as possible…

Driver poked his head out when his bumper made contact. Then decided yep keep going and push through lol smh. Maybe a local place has video footage. Otherwise just have your insurance take care of it.

When are we getting higher res camera sensors anyway. Aren't these the same ones from 2017.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
When are we getting higher res camera sensors anyway. Aren't these the same ones from 2017.
The limitation for this particular situation is not the camera sensors. They have ample resolution for reading the plate.

Note I'm not saying better cameras would not be a good thing for other AP tasks. Just for this purpose the existing cameras are plenty good.

The limitation for this particular situation is not the camera sensors. They have ample resolution for reading the plate.

Note I'm not saying better cameras would not be a good thing for other AP tasks. Just for this purpose the existing cameras are plenty good.

Looks like they are 720p which is pretty low res for 2021. The front camera is 1280x960. Still pretty low. Increasing resolution would reduce the amount of time you can record before sentry clips get overwritten though, potentially by a lot. IMO, it'd be worth it. I wonder given that the cameras are RCCB and the result we see is demosaiced, could we get higher resolution if B/W was an option: if they saved the raw output.

Mike

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looks like they are 720p which is pretty low res for 2021. The front camera is 1280x960. Still pretty low. Increasing resolution would reduce the amount of time you can record before sentry clips get overwritten though, potentially by a lot. IMO, it'd be worth it. I wonder given that the cameras are RCCB and the result we see is demosaiced, could we get higher resolution if B/W was an option: if they saved the raw output.

Mike
Yes, and the effective resolution in this video is obviously way worse than 720p, which was my point. (720p would have been great!) As I said, the better resolution would be great (but you could have literally the best sensor in the world here, and it would not have helped here, at all, all else being equal)

Yes, lots of problems. In this case it looks like maybe the USB stick was also having problems - I don't see that sort of terrible artifact in my videos, but maybe it's software or hardware dependent in ways I don't understand.

Hopefully they just get rid of all these bottlenecks at some point. High bandwidth storage is pretty cheap so seems like just having great videos is something that eventually might be possible (possibly requiring hardware changes). I haven't gone through all the numbers but clearly in this day and age it is possible with the right hardware and I don't think it ends up being cost-prohibitive.

Have you tried looking at the rear camera footage to see if when he was backing up, maybe you can see the reflection of the license plate in the bumper of one of the cars parked behind you? The only other thing I can think of is to go back to that same parking lot, maybe at the same time of day and even the same day of the week. Maybe that guy works there or stops there regularly and you can look for an Avalon with white scrapes on the front bumper.

Mike
Good idea. OP should also check video footage of when they first parked. If that car was there first there might be a visible angle of the plates.

If the OP does track them down, be sure to claim diminished value! Probably going to be $4-5k. Lots of money riding on this identification - might be worth paying for those license plate lookup sites and spending an hour or two plugging in combinations - or just get video from the businesses or call your insurance to have them do it, as suggested! (In a way, it's a "nice" way to extract value from your car before it depreciates...assuming you hold onto the car long term of course...not very convenient though.) Assuming the at-fault party doesn't have minimum limits of course.