Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help regarding polish for suntek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
OK all you experts. I seem to have gotten some leaf stains on Suntek PPF that won't wash off. Suntek said to try the following in order:

1) Rubbing alchohol (didn't work)
2) Low abrasive polish applied by hand
3) Buffer starting at lowest abrasive and working up until stains removed.

Since (1) failed, I'm ready to try (2). Suntek would not get back to me with specific recommendation regarding what low abrasive polish/wax to try. I've read all kinds of stuff saying "no petroleum distillates on PPF", yet everything seems to have petroleum distillates in it. Ideally I'd like something I can buy at Pep Boys, because I want to clear this up this weekend, not wait for UPS or FedEx.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH ADD, THIS IS NOT ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT WHAT COATING TO PUT OVER PPF, IT IS SPECIFIC QUESTION ABOUT 1 TIME STAIN REMOVAL (though you probably did not read this far anyway).

Don't buff it. Chances of ruining it are way too high.
For most things I use: Chemical Guys WAC_767_16 - Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant
3M adhesive remover. This removes many things such as paint from another car coming a bit too close.
I wouldn't purchase anything from PepBoys. A couple of unfortunate experiences.

Don't buff it. Chances of ruining it are way too high.
For most things I use: Chemical Guys WAC_767_16 - Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant
3M adhesive remover. This removes many things such as paint from another car coming a bit too close.
I wouldn't purchase anything from PepBoys. A couple of unfortunate experiences.

Thx Jerry. I use the same Chemical Guys WAC 767 for everything already. In fact, I use it as waterless wash and it works great. Unfortunately, it doesn't remove these stains, as it has no abrasive whatsoever.

The 3M adhesive remover is a chemical solvent, also not abrasive. For future reference, Suntek suggests using rubbing alcohol (which is not hydrocarbon based) as first line of defense to remove stains etc., but also doesn't work in this case.

The 3M adhesive remover is a chemical solvent, also not abrasive. For future reference, Suntek suggests using rubbing alcohol (which is not hydrocarbon based) as first line of defense to remove stains etc., but also doesn't work in this case.

The Suntek installer was the person who told me about the 3M adhesive remover. Of course, you only use it if nothing else works.

I had some nasty bird poop on my Xpel Ultimate over the weekend. Most came off with a detail spray but it left "rings" around the location where the poop was. Darn seagulls. I used Meguires NXT and some elbow grease on it and it seems to have gotten rid of it. My installed told me Meguires NXT works well on that film and you can get it anywhere (wally world or whatever).

Tomas, did you have any luck removing the stain? I too have Suntek on my car, and a bird dropped a big load on my car the other day, and I didn't find out until 2 days later. Now the film has a yellow stain on it that won't wipe off.

Tomas, did you have any luck removing the stain? I too have Suntek on my car, and a bird dropped a big load on my car the other day, and I didn't find out until 2 days later. Now the film has a yellow stain on it that won't wipe off.
Yes. Went to local detail shop who makes their own polish. They sold me this Medium Car Polish Scratch Remover | Dr. Beasley's

it worked. This episode also convinced me, contrary to my installer's advice, that I need opticoat over suntek. I'm planning to do that. Until then, I bought tesla car cover and use it when I park at WI house, which is wooded with no garage

Yes. Went to local detail shop who makes their own polish. They sold me this Medium Car Polish Scratch Remover | Dr. Beasley's

it worked. This episode also convinced me, contrary to my installer's advice, that I need opticoat over suntek. I'm planning to do that. Until then, I bought tesla car cover and use it when I park at WI house, which is wooded with no garage

That's my buddy Jim Lafeber's shop. Glad to see he took care of it by referring the right product! If you dip in there again, tell him I said hello please. :)

Did you use a DA polisher or just did it by hand? Did it create any scratch or clouds at all on your film?

OK all you experts. I seem to have gotten some leaf stains on Suntek PPF that won't wash off. Suntek said to try the following in order:

1) Rubbing alchohol (didn't work)
2) Low abrasive polish applied by hand
3) Buffer starting at lowest abrasive and working up until stains removed.

Since (1) failed, I'm ready to try (2). Suntek would not get back to me with specific recommendation regarding what low abrasive polish/wax to try. I've read all kinds of stuff saying "no petroleum distillates on PPF", yet everything seems to have petroleum distillates in it. Ideally I'd like something I can buy at Pep Boys, because I want to clear this up this weekend, not wait for UPS or FedEx.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH ADD, THIS IS NOT ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT WHAT COATING TO PUT OVER PPF, IT IS SPECIFIC QUESTION ABOUT 1 TIME STAIN REMOVAL (though you probably did not read this far anyway).

I know this is an old thread, but I just used rubbing alcohol to remove paint scratch marks from my Suntek-covered front end. Thirty seconds with an alcohol prep pad was way more fun than a ~$500 paint repair!

I know this is an old thread, but I just used rubbing alcohol to remove paint scratch marks from my Suntek-covered front end. Thirty seconds with an alcohol prep pad was way more fun than a ~$500 paint repair!
Bug and Tar remover should also work. It works just dandy on paint left by other cars.