Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help Review! Upgradable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hey guys,

I was hoping those that know could look over this and see if it seems good and upgradable. If you look at the roof there's space for four more panels which they wouldn't put in as there are pipes there. I want to make sure that if I decide to move those pipes I'll be able to add more panels, probably 4, that the inverter and whatever else will be able to handle it.

The system stats:
9.24kW
7,596kWh 1st year estimated
0 power walls
69% offset [I personally believe it will be more.]
$31,878 before incentives.
$15,354 after incentives and tax credits.

The inverter is the 7600. Is that maxed out? It seems like the 10000 goes for about $500 more. I wonder if I should ask for that one so I can add more panels later. Is there anything else that would prevent it from being upgradable?

Thank you guys I really, really appreciate it!

All the best,
Gene

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 5.37.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 5.41.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 5.37.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 5.37.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 5.37.28 PM.png

7600 is a magic number because it's a 40A breaker. Many installations are limited to this amount of solar in their main panel. With the panels you have, you're already 21% over-provisioned. This may be all you can add without a Main Panel Upgrade and/or a utility service upgrade, which is a big increase in cost. Ask Tesla that question and see if it's true in your case. If you add a two Powerwalls, the new generation panel may alleviate that limitation. However, the Powerwalls themselves are a big step up in cost too.

I asked them the same question but the answer is no: you cannot add more panel to the current system per city permit (I have no idea it is true or not). So you still have to add another inverter if you decide to expand your solar system.

Reactions: phantasms
What kind of pipes are you referring to in the roof? Are they plumbing vents? If so, they might be able to modify them. In our solar install, Tesla was able to modify the plumbing vent and place panels over the modified vent. This allowed us to have 20 panels placed symmetrically, covering the entire main roof and avoid the "missing tooth" install that I see on many other houses with solar. Building codes might not allow it in your area, but it is something to ask about.

How did they "modify" your plumbing vents? Do you have a picture of one, or can you describe it? Where I live they are considered cleanouts and access can't be blocked.
They covered it up pretty quickly with panels. I'll have to see if we have pictures. They cut part of it off and might've put something on it {can't recall}. In other places, they can put a "snorkel" on it. I know not all places are the same as they had to consult my county and town building codes to see what was allowed in my town.

+1 @miimura is correct. I presume you have a 200A service panel with 40A limit on backfeed. Also this assume you have a main breaker in your panel. If you do not have a main breaker, different set of rules apply.

You could bounce the ball again and ask for 110% offset which will trigger a different design approach. Tesla design never will over-engineer/design for the future. They are focused on immediate obstacles (in a stepped fashion). Are you adding Powerwall in future?

Being limited by roof space, your local authority may have a different opinion. I see 3' setbacks for roof access. They did a blanket approach which is technically incorrect. At the hip of the roof you can go all the way to the hip provided there is 3' on the other side of the hip. They do this because it is easy to design on paper and very conservative. You could go with higher watt panels and still use the 7600 inverter. You could overdrive the inverter without damage (depends on the inverter). Depending on things, the lost power is usually insignificant.

Panels on the north is an option. I live in California, so PVWatts only showed 5000 NWN vs. 7000kWh SES per year. I realize NY is a different latitude.

Moving vents involve a plumber so these flat vents is really a work around to avoid having a licensed plumber. I recommend moving the vent pipe. I wish I did.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RFernatt
Thank you everyone! I signed a contract on this as is yesterday. They claimed that if you come close to maxing out the inverter it operates at a greater efficiency. Instead of dealing with the pipes, etc I just pulled the trigger. I'm quite confident we'll get more than 69% as we're new here and we use much less energy than the previous owners. I'll be very excited to rip sub 4 second 0-60 times off my own solar power. :)

Thanks again!

Best,
Gene

20190404_215455.jpg
How did they "modify" your plumbing vents? Do you have a picture of one, or can you describe it? Where I live they are considered cleanouts and access can't be blocked.

Tesla and another local installer said they can divert plumbing vents, here in SoCal.

They use something like this, seen here:

Solar Roof Jack | More Power Production

Tesla said they can divert any vents. The solar installer I eventually choose, will not touch "heat producing vents". I told this installer that I will divert the one bathroom exhaust from the roof (through the wall) myself. Then this installer agreed to remove the remnant roof vent cap, seal and replace the roof tile, and will be able to put PV panels on that spot.

20190404_213545.jpg
20190404_213042.jpg
20190404_214012.jpg

It allowed me to add 3 panels, and avoid gaps.

Last edited: