Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Help... Tesla Model S: Maximum battery charge level reduced (cannot get past 20 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
057tech has been overall helpful but i'm still waiting on an estimate for cost and time.

We've been absolutely swamped lately, so some email response times have been crappy. Sorry about that. I've been trying to find some more folks to man the phones/emails, but it's been a challenge.

If you've got a ticket # or something I can check into it.

Reactions: MP3Mike and El Lopo
They need to fix this asap its just like a old iPhone updating the software when a new phone drops screws up the phone so you have to buy a new one only problem is they want 20k or 12k to fix a problem software created because 2021.24.27 will fix the car

So I got up this morning and my maximum battery charge level reduced was gone and my car is charging up with no problem, I don't know what happened I been dealing with this problem for 2 months and today it fixed itself!? So my next question is do I really need a new battery? No update or anything drove the car everything is fine something is fishy about this whole situation

So I got up this morning and my maximum battery charge level reduced was gone and my car is charging up with no problem, I don't know what happened I been dealing with this problem for 2 months and today it fixed itself!? So my next question is do I really need a new battery? No update or anything drove the car everything is fine something is fishy about this whole situation
Wow, that is excellent! If you were normally charging to 90% before, try charging to 80% now just in case. I think you should report the behavior to Tesla after a few days if the problem doesn't recur...it might just be software. If you have trouble again, these third-party companies can help also for about or less than $5k to repair the main battery:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com

My car was in the shop for a battery replacement and I pushed back and just last week they said they made a software fix in the shop. Could it have been released over the air and just taken time to adjust? I remember there being a software update just before all my error codes started popping up however it was cold and rainy too but still suspicious.

I read this post: Explaining Changes post-firmware 2019.16 Regarding Range Loss | wk057's SkieNET and I feel this is all related. I believe they verbally told me something about the "6th module" after looking through my logs. I didn't have a clue what they really meant at the time.

Reactions: Workbirdy
At this point I can't trust what tesla tells me about this car because they told me I needed a new battery and completely blew off the fact my car only had 88k miles and was only 4 months out of warranty. I was the new owner and they took that as let tell him new battery for 20k. After calling around and talking to someone he told me it was software and just wait it will fix its self

We've been absolutely swamped lately, so some email response times have been crappy. Sorry about that. I've been trying to find some more folks to man the phones/emails, but it's been a challenge.

If you've got a ticket # or something I can check into it.
I completely understand being one of the few "non Tesla" repair shops. I ended up working with Recell. Definitely nothing against you guys just working numbers and shipping to you and back would be double that of getting it to Recell and back which put the price only a couple grand cheaper than a refurb battery from tesla. I just wanted to post in here noting that you guys were great and upfront trying to work stuff out. Just logistically I went with Recell, who also have been great working with so far.

Reactions: El Lopo and Yurand
I got mine April 1st lol feels like the joke was on me. I am arranging a battery repair through Recell-ev in texas. I was thinking of writing up a review of my entire experience on here since I feel like with factory warranties coming to an end for lots of people soon, alternative options may start being extremely helpful.
Hi Travis, Can you let me know how your experience with Recell-ev was? I'm about to send my S85 all the way across the country to them. I must say that from communications with them they've been excellent, but I'd love to know how the actual work was.
Thanks!

Hi Travis, Can you let me know how your experience with Recell-ev was? I'm about to send my S85 all the way across the country to them. I must say that from communications with them they've been excellent, but I'd love to know how the actual work was.
Thanks!
I had an amazing experience with them they, were faster than they said they would be (7-10) days they answered every question I asked, usually within a couple hours. They also would send regular updates on the progress and told me what was actually wrong with the battery. They helped find the cheapest shipping back to me. I have only had it back since Saturday, everything is working perfectly so far and would recommend them to anyone that can't afford the 20000 for a new battery.

At this point I can't trust what tesla tells me about this car because they told me I needed a new battery and completely blew off the fact my car only had 88k miles and was only 4 months out of warranty. I was the new owner and they took that as let tell him new battery for 20k. After calling around and talking to someone he told me it was software and just wait it will fix its self
I have this same issue 2013 Model S 86k, with my battery out of warranty 6 months and have been capped at 111mi showing Charge complete since May 2022 as well. I have been told it is a condition that Tesla has placed and of course they have told me 2 times that I need new HV battery. I have MCU2. I too have been told to wait, that there would be nothing to fix if they dropped the battery.

I had an amazing experience with them they, were faster than they said they would be (7-10) days they answered every question I asked, usually within a couple hours. They also would send regular updates on the progress and told me what was actually wrong with the battery. They helped find the cheapest shipping back to me. I have only had it back since Saturday, everything is working perfectly so far and would recommend them to anyone that can't afford the 20000 for a new battery.
What was actually wrong with battery, and how much $$ to repair?

If a module was actually replaced, then the pack is on life support and will need a full replacement at some point, likely within a year of normal use.

For the same issues you described (only one bad module) we'd do a full replacement pack at about $4500 (plus transport costs). A full replacement is the only way to do this properly with a bad cell group/module. At best, replacing a module pushes back the failure. At worst you'll run out of juice with double digit miles on the dash when on a supercharger trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
If a module was actually replaced, then the pack is on life support and will need a full replacement at some point, likely within a year of normal use.

For the same issues you described (only one bad module) we'd do a full replacement pack at about $4500 (plus transport costs). A full replacement is the only way to do this properly with a bad cell group/module. At best, replacing a module pushes back the failure. At worst you'll run out of juice with double digit miles on the dash when on a supercharger trip.
Can you explain why that is (bad cell/module can’t be replaced individually), and how do you properly fix a pack that someone trades in?

Take a look at this post it explains some of the issues.

In short, if a pack has a bad cell/module it can't be repaired. It is broken down and the good parts are sold for other purposes, like solar storage.
Thanks for sharing, very interesting. It still doesn’t describe why a module can’t be replaced to last. Clearly it’s physically possible, so I’m curious what issues prevent longer term fix.

Also, since @wk057 doesn’t repair the trade-ins, I wonder how they source the full packs they install.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting. It still doesn’t describe why a module can’t be replaced to last. Clearly it’s physically possible, so I’m curious what issues prevent longer term fix.
Here is another of his posts with details.

Also, since @wk057 doesn’t repair the trade-ins, I wonder how they source the full packs they install
Buying wrecked vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
...It still doesn’t describe why a module can’t be replaced to last. Clearly it’s physically possible, so I’m curious what issues prevent longer term fix...
Yes, it did.

1. Design
2. Mismatched old & new cells would pull down the whole pack on day one until it will be dead eventually. Your battery gauge may say you still have lots of miles like 60 miles and your car's just dead, wouldn't move.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
@MP3Mike linked above to some posts I already made detailing issues with module replacements and why the car was never designed for this (thanks!). The modular design wasn't for repairs, it was for ease of manufacturing using the processes available at the time. The modular design made it so when a module wasn't good enough for sale, discarding it wasn't as huge of a financial impact as it would be if say the modules for 4x the cell count. That's all. Replaceability of the modules was never a thing and never will or can be, even on newer models.

We source packs from salvage vehicles we purchase, vehicles we upgrade, and other sources where we can get full battery packs. We test these, upgrade components that can be upgraded to the latest specs, and then they're used as replacements for customers. Customer packs are generally broken down and sold as modules for non-EV projects, or shorter-range EV projects (less than a full pack).

Occasionally, we've downgraded 16-module packs with bad modules by removing the bad modules and reconfiguring them to match their lower capacity 14-module counterpart units (85->70 or 90->75) and used them as replacements for those vehicles, respectively. This way, modules are never replaced, and the modules used in the car are still all born together and live the same life. No gross imbalances to grow. (This is actually what Tesla tends to do with packs with bad modules that are refurbished, also. They end up as replacements for lower capacity vehicles.)

owner of a 2013 S, 85. Got the BMS_u029 error a few days ago after latest software installed overnight. Have a schedule appt with Tesla on aug 10th. Was curious what Tesla told you your issue was/is and if it’s a new battery needed, what did they quote you?

I’m running 2022.8.10.1 software.