Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help track QC problems - post build date and list of issues please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MitchJi

Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness
Jun 1, 2015
Marin County, CA
Hi,

I believe that the main issue, issue now that is the slowing the MX ramp is the QC problems.

I think that this information will help both reservation holders and investors to track the MX ramp.

I am a TSLA investor trying to keep track of the MX ramp. I would really appreciate help tracking QC problems.

Please post your build date and a brief list of issues, or equally important, a lack of issues.

Please Note:
I am trying to track how quickly the QC problems decline, so getting input about cars with no problems is equally important.

I also think that it's likely that one of the reasons, so far for zero configurations outside of the U.S. is QC problems.

So I would appreciate knowing about any invitations to configure for buyers outside of the U.S.

Thanks!

Best Wishes,

Mitch

IMHO, there is no production slow down. IMHO, Tesla Motors keeps the production line moving and lets the Service Centers correct any necessary items before or after delivery.

The only benefit of posting a summary of each vehicle's punch list would be to monitor how much work the Service Centers are doing.

No there is not! I was hoping to get posts with problems and without problems, so we can see if the number of problems is decreasing.

If you're trying to do statistical analysis on self-selected anecdotal forum posts, it's highly likely you're going to generate worse conclusions than with no data at all.

IMHO, there is no production slow down. IMHO, Tesla Motors keeps the production line moving and lets the Service Centers correct any necessary items before or after delivery.

Q4 Model S deliveries were approximately 48% more than our prior quarterly record and approximately 75% more than Q4 last year. Model X deliveries are in line with the very early stages of our Model X production ramp as we prioritize quality above all else. That ramp has been increasing exponentially, with the daily production rate in the last week of the year tracking to production of 238 Model X vehicles per week.
Production of 238 Model X vehicles per week, on a line designed to produce 1k per week, as they prioritize quality above all else, sure sounds like a slow down to me.

Plus I think you overlooked the "back-end" of the process. I am sure that as they hear from the Service Centers, about problems that they are trying to fix the production to eliminate those issues in the future, which must have an effect on the production rate.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're trying to do statistical analysis on self-selected anecdotal forum posts, it's highly likely you're going to generate worse conclusions than with no data at all.
In this case the results are exactly the same because nobody is providing data.

In this case the results are exactly the same because nobody is providing data.

No, they're not. There are plenty of anecdotes that are appearing here on the forums. Relying upon that in making investment decisions is a bad strategy. First, as you've noticed, you're going to see problem bias, because people who have no problems are going to post at a considerably lesser rate than those who do, even if you encourage them to do so, and you even recognize that above when you say you want data points where people aren't having problems. Second, by using only this forum, you're going to get only a subset of the consumers - those who are more technically driven to the details of Tesla, who come with a different set of expectations that are likely not representative of the whole body.

You can easily reach the wrong conclusions from any anecdotal set of reports, and that's worse than leaving that consideration out.

Put another way: from a statistical analysis point of view, using this forum you will not be able to generate any sufficiently representative data that is trustworthy enough to base investments upon.

Not to mention that most investors these days don't seem to have any rational explanation for their reactive, illogical trades.

Why did the market sink the first week of January? Because China's economy is jittery. The U.S. economy is strong, but because China has a correction, everyone panics and sells perfectly good positions in securities that will quickly recover once cooler heads prevail. Not one point of decline was based on price-to-earnings ratios, alphas, or anything else statistically relevant.

So determining investment decisions based on anecdotal comments on this forum is probably about as good a choice as most investors are currently making! lol.

The data may be unreliable. Others are finding more faults as they look at my car, things I didn't even notice. Onto the list they go as a record of production defects. It will be interesting how many are considered within the realm of being within tolerance.

Years ago, my QC department was rejecting a very high percentage of doors on a large medical device, because doors didn't have the proper pull resistance when opening (I forget how many lbs of pressure, but it was measurable). Manufacturing was pushing back because it took so long to adjust within specs. Then add on that more and more doors were being rejected for alignment issues. It seemed to be going up with time, not down.

So what was going on?

In the case of the pull resistance, I had QC and manufacturing engineering measure every side by side fridge in the building and also check the same at home. Holy cow, not even close to each other. No one even noticed that two doors, right next to each other, required completely diff levels of force to open. Time to fix that spec.

But what about the door alignment issue that was getting worse over time. Pretty easy, actually. The QC inspectors had gotten so good at their job, that they were noticing things that no one else would notice. Completely sensitized, they could pick out a hair's diff in alignment in a glance. The doors hadn't gotten worse, QC had gotten better. Or had they?

I asked them to go home and look at their cupboard doors and side by side fridge doors. You know what happened (or why would I bother typing). They'd never noticed alignment issues at home. They were failing things at work that other people wouldn't ever notice, only because they'd stared at it so long, and were completely unaware of the same alignment issues in other parts of their life.

Sometimes we lose perspective. I'm not saying, not in the least, that there are not issues. But when people are pouring over your car, trying to find the next issue, they're going to find things that would never bother anyone. It's hard to keep that perspective ... but in fairness, we have to give it a shot.

...I'm not saying, not in the least, that there are not issues. But when people are pouring over your car, trying to find the next issue, they're going to find things that would never bother anyone...
I agree, so much this seems picky, but at the price levels of Model S and X, it is worth documenting. Hopefully Tesla Motors will be pleased at the improvements of their new vehicles being completed, compared with this early VIN illustrated punch list.

BTW, the detailer has helped tremendously explaining what is normal and what isn't. The excess overspray of clear coat is thought to be a robot acting up with a last minute extra blast that added the extra specks of clear coating. What didn't appear at delivery or even during paint correction became a headache when the clear bra material was tested. This only happened on horizontal surfaces, like the hood. The wet sanding cleared the extra particles and even smoothed the surface a bit more. I saw the hood today and the end result is as if no clear bra wrap is installed at all, just a thicker coat of clear coat. What was a major clear coat flaw at the center of the hood is now barely visible, a 99% improvement. This was the best solution for a most unusual situation. Moe works on new Tesla vehicles every week, but this one car needed more help than normal. Thankfully these professionals are able to work miracles when called on to solve the difficult jobs that might not get done properly at many clear bra protective wrap locations.