Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this? Pink residue on undercarriage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was taking a picture because the bottom panel of my 2021 Model 3 performance popped up (another issue I need to have fixed), and noticed this. What is this residue underneath the car? Is this a problem?

tempImageER5xQs.jpg

Phew! Thank you!
No problem. I assume by bottom panel you meant the plastic rocker panel. That looks a little out of place to me, as you said. As long as you're under there make sure all the 20+ bolts holding on the front and rear aero panels are in place and tight. Hasn't been an issue lately (rear bumper covers falling off was a bad look and a road hazard, so I think they addressed the problem), but still worth taking a quick look as long as you are crawling around under there. There are a lot of bolts. It used to be that in the rear center plastic diffuser there was an empty (unused) bolt hole (nowhere for the bolt to go in the underlying subframe) but presumably they've revised the mold at this point to eliminate that hole.

Like I said, hopefully this check will be entirely a waste of time - this issue should be completely resolved at this point.

Reactions: j310
Presumably that's sealant. It's on everyone's 3. I assumed it was red/orange, because that's the color of sealant they use to indicate it meets some fire or temp standard. If you look at any house sealant that has a fire or heat rating, it's almost always red/orange.

From my brief experience the red is "heat cured".

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The other problem is this panel detached after driving the other day. I was able to snap back into place so I could drive home but it still looks somewhat off, as you can see. I put in a request at SC but can’t get in until next week of course. I have a long trip this weekend planned - think it is OK to drive like this? thanks.
C29961DE-80B0-4BE4-B333-3CC2F0073D6B.jpeg

The other problem is this panel detached after driving the other day. I was able to snap back into place so I could drive home but it still looks somewhat off, as you can see. I put in a request at SC but can’t get in until next week of course. I have a long trip this weekend planned - think it is OK to drive like this? thanks. View attachment 665769

There is a good how-to on youtube somewhere on fixing this problem properly. You can't just bang it in.

Reactions: TBrownTX