Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please List Model 3 PERFORMANCE track times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The purpose of this thread is to list actual track times of the Model 3 Performance, (preferably along with the track times that the Model 3 Performance driver also achieves in an ICE car for comparison within a skill set).

This would allow for an easy place to refer "Tesla's are useless on the track" friends to.

All I've been able to find are tantalizing tidbits of impressions of what a Model 3 P can do at a track:

Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

Track Report: Model 3 Performance @ ORP, day 1

In the mean time here are some times seen for some Tesla's at Laguna Seca

P100D model S 1:41.62
Lucid Motors beats record at Laguna race track… with a Tesla Model S P100D

Model 3 RWD unomodified: 1:57.50 Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca

Model 3 RWD 1:48.66 racing tires/ brake pads/ disabled stability control

Model 3 Performance ????????????/????????

some times for ICE cars at laguna seca:
Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com

Reactions: Arpe
1:47.621
For my fellow bench racers:
Laguna Lap Time_zpsqwmavcvx.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt and garrity
The purpose of this thread is to list actual track times of the Model 3 Performance, (preferably along with the track times that the Model 3 Performance driver also achieves in an ICE car for comparison within a skill set).

This would allow for an easy place to refer "Tesla's are useless on the track" friends to.

All I've been able to find are tantalizing tidbits of impressions of what a Model 3 P can do at a track:

This is all I've been waiting for (besides the car). I have a feeling it's because track mode isn't ready yet so no big names are going to post official lap times without it. Road and Track had some lame excuse for not posting track times. I wish someone would post stopping distances as well.

This is all I've been waiting for (besides the car). I have a feeling it's because track mode isn't ready yet so no big names are going to post official lap times without it. Road and Track had some lame excuse for not posting track times. I wish someone would post stopping distances as well.
Yeah, it would be kind of pointless for magazines to measure lap times before track mode is introduced. I believe every single car on that list has defeatable stability control (except the P85+, though it can be disabled by pulling a fuse).

Great thread - thanks for starting this!.

Starting with the stunning bit in the Motor Trend piece where they state after running a 1:21 on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and harder pads at Willow Springs: "What no one is quite saying out loud, though, is that a 1:21.49 snips a lifetime-like 1.29 seconds from Randy's recent lap in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. The new time essentially matches a 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 and even beats a former Best Driver's Car winner, the 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia (1:22.30). Until the new BMW M3 shows up, that perches the Model 3 atop the podium as the world's quickest sport sedan—at least around this track.

But when I first tried to dig out Willow Springs comparison times here, I realized that those times just can't be on the same course with the same flying start, as this puts the Model 3 P ahead of a bunch of uber fast exotics and a ZR1. It's fast, but not that fast!

Then I found out there is a different listing for Streets of Willow Springs laps here. It would slot in as the 11th fastest car in a very fast group.

Can you believe the cars that this thing is beating??? Several iterations of BMW M car, to address some of the concerns on the forum that the M series would be faster around the track, even if it gets toasted at the drag strip and in 0-60. Nope. It now gets toasted there too.

The other thing that's frustrating as no one's run a so-called lightning lap (significantly longer course), which is been a Car and Driver benchmark for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arpe
But when I try to dig out Willow Springs comparison times here, those times just can't be on the same course with the same flying start, as this puts the Model 3 P ahead of a bunch of uber fast exotics and a ZR1.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I know the Model 3P is really fast, especially in track shoes, but I can't believe it's beating all the cars listed on that Willow Springs fastest lap list.
You linked to the Big Willow times. The MT tests were done on the Streets of Willow. The times on this list make more sense relative to expected 3P times: Willow Springs - Streets of Willow lap times - FastestLaps.com

Great thread - thanks for starting this!.

Starting with the stunning bit in the Motor Trend piece where they state after running a 1:21 on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and harder pads at Willow Springs: "What no one is quite saying out loud, though, is that a 1:21.49 snips a lifetime-like 1.29 seconds from Randy's recent lap in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. The new time essentially matches a 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 and even beats a former Best Driver's Car winner, the 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia (1:22.30). Until the new BMW M3 shows up, that perches the Model 3 atop the podium as the world's quickest sport sedan—at least around this track.

But when I first tried to dig out Willow Springs comparison times here, I realized that those times just can't be on the same course with the same flying start, as this puts the Model 3 P ahead of a bunch of uber fast exotics and a ZR1. It's fast, but not that fast!

Then I found out there is a different listing for Streets of Willow Springs laps here. It would slot in as the 11th fastest car in a very fast group.

Can you believe the cars that this thing is beating??? Several iterations of BMW M car, to address some of the concerns on the forum that the M series would be faster around the track, even if it gets toasted at the drag strip and in 0-60. Nope. It now gets toasted there too.

The other thing that's frustrating as no one's run a so-called lightning lap (significantly longer course), which is been a Car and Driver benchmark for years.

It is kicking ass on the small track, not so much on the longer tracks. They will get there, just not with this generation.

Had a blast tracking my P3D with a 718 Cayman GTS today at Buttonwillow and the two cars were super evenly matched. We both ended up running 2:07's but it was super cool to see how the P3D had the power advantage and could pull away on straights, but then the Cayman could catch back up in the corners. These cars are relatively equal in MSRP (Tesla is a bit cheaper), so it seems like a great comparison.

Now to find 7 more seconds so i can catch up to @Odiemac... :D

Had a blast tracking my P3D with a 718 Cayman GTS today at Buttonwillow and the two cars were super evenly matched. We both ended up running 2:07's but it was super cool to see how the P3D had the power advantage and could pull away on straights, but then the Cayman could catch back up in the corners. These cars are relatively equal in MSRP (Tesla is a bit cheaper), so it seems like a great comparison.

Now to find 7 more seconds so i can catch up to @Odiemac... :D

How is your car currently set up? Lowered sport MPP? Wheels and tires? Would be great to see pictures.

How is your car currently set up? Lowered sport MPP? Wheels and tires? Would be great to see pictures.

I'm running 265 RE-71R tires on 19x9.5" wheels and recently added Unplugged Performance brake pads and Motul brake fluid to prevent brake fade. Will be getting some UP coilovers installed in about 3 weeks and should have them for Tesla Corsa at the end of January.

See thread about brakes here: New Brake Pads on P3D - Much Firmer!

BW1_2423_Nov2318_CaliPhoto.jpg

• Love
Reactions: SD_Engnr and dfwatt
1:47.621
For my fellow bench racers:
View attachment 329902

Suggests that with decent track shoes (a la Randy Pobst's drive), if it slots into this long list around where the Ferrari Italia 458 sits, that a 1:36 or high 1:35 is achievable on Laguna Seca (although if it's long and fast, that's not a good match for the 3DMP). Would still be great to see a car with the MPP sport suspension kit, 265/35-19 Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Even better if Tesla would sell a Model 3 Performance RS version set up that way - perhaps with tweaked inverters, extra 5kw battery pack.

I'm running 265 RE-71R tires on 19x9.5" wheels and recently added Unplugged Performance brake pads and Motul brake fluid to prevent brake fade. Will be getting some UP coilovers installed in about 3 weeks and should have them for Tesla Corsa at the end of January.

See thread about brakes here: New Brake Pads on P3D - Much Firmer!

View attachment 363254

That must be pulling more than 1G in the corners. Esp. with the new suspension.

I know this is at least a year away, but I would love to see track times for the upcoming Tesla roadster at Nurburgring, and whether it could equal the 911 GT2 RS, which is the best track-able 'street car' anyone has ever seen (until something beats it and/or Porsche puts out a new version). The Tesla would likely toast it in a straight line, but the road course challenge is the real honor in this class of hypercar.