Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Europeans here? I've been asked to pay my down payment before delivery. I really don't want to risk not getting the car on delivery day because I insist on paying only after inspecting the car, but is it the wise thing to do? I would imagine that they would refund in the unlikely case that I cancel.

I spoke to my service center today about Delivery Day. My payment options have disappeared and my SA told me it would show up 24 to 48 hours before my DD. Which sounds silly because I know people pay weeks beforehand.

Anyway, he kind of pushed me towards paying online. I explained that in the unlikely event that I reject the car or walk away from Tesla all together, I'm not comfortable having my money tied for 30-60 days. He told me to take everything I'm reading online in terms of quality with a grain of salt. While I understand the sentiment, I will 100% be bringing a physical check.

I honestly can't believe people are paying before even seeing the car. Please people, do not do this. There is no reason for it, and if there are issues at delivery your money is going to be tied up needlessly.

Consider that it is not unusual for a delivery center to process over 100 cars in a day. If everyone decided to pay at the last minute, and it only took 5 minutes to process, that would still add up to 500 minutes (over 8 hours) of delay for the staff.

No Tesla dealership is processing 100 cars a day. Let’s not pretend Tesla is doing volume at individual location like long established dealerships.

Some people are required to in states like Texas, though.

Yes, they told me that I could do a transfer (sort of insisting over a personal check) after inspecting the car through some third party. BUT that apparently involved me putting my account and password in that third party app that I think then initiated an ACH transfer from my account to Tesla. I wasn't thrilled about doing that. So I brought my checkbook which was OK. But I also changed my password to a simple one** and would have changed it again if I had been forced to use this third party application.

** I use a password manager and it's almost impossible for me to type in (particularly) financial passwords even if I'm looking at it while I type. For example that particular password is greater than 25 random characters and symbols.

Reactions: Tundrok
$65 is kind of different from $65,000.

Do you usually pay for cars before you see them?
I literally just did, yesterday. If for some reason I don't accept the car, Tesla is not going to just steal my money. The company isn't some back alley used car dealer from the sketchy part of town. I have a contract with them, it is legally enforceable.

Also, you know how infinitesimal the chances are that I'm not going to take delivery after waiting months and months and dreaming night after night about my new car? It would have to be a Ford waiting for me at the Tesla dealership for me to not take delivery. 😂

Reactions: jbarnum
I literally just did, yesterday. If for some reason I don't accept the car, Tesla is not going to just steal my money. The company isn't some back alley used car dealer from the sketchy part of town. I have a contract with them, it is legally enforceable.

Also, you know how infinitesimal the chances are that I'm not going to take delivery after waiting months and months and dreaming night after night about my new car? It would have to be a Ford waiting for me at the Tesla dealership for me to not take delivery. 😂

I'd rather have my tens of thousands of dollars available to me until I have something in return for it. I think most people would agree.

Reactions: Tesomega
You all seem so skeptical of Tesla. I’m not sure why you are buying one?

When I bought a computer that was nearly $12k, did I wait until I could power it up to pay for it? No way. The vendor would never have shipped it to me before I paid for it. I’m very used to paying for things a few days before getting it.

I’m sure if I reject my car I could get my money back quickly. I’m also sure that I won’t be rejecting my car.

I guess to each their own. If you want to live in fear that Tesla, the >1 trillion dollar company, is just a long con to get $65k from you, then do it. For me, that $65k has been earmarked for the Tesla since the day I hit “order”. That was the day the money was no longer earmarked for me to do anything else with it. I’m not going to miss that money for the 3 days between paying and delivery because I haven’t been relying on that money for 3 months now.

Reactions: torifile
Call me gullible, but this is my third Tesla, and the most expensive - I was told it was to arrive today, but was cancelled yesterday. Then at 3AM in the depth of night, they took my dough for the Tesla X Plaid. No notice that was done, or would a car be on its way? It has been the weirdest business transaction I've ever encountered. I've checked all the boxes, other than accept delivery, since no car is seen anywhere other than a VIN. I'm just of the opinion that money shouldn't be drawn until delivery, and change of hands have occurred. Is that so wrong? Thankfully, that money was earning crap interest anyway, so it's not that I'm missing out on much. But I'd love to hear others stories - hopefully, happy ones that the car will arrive and be as close to pristine as possible... Thanks for allowing me to vent/share... Still love Tesla - and nothing out there in EV world has brought smiles to my face when I drive... I believe Aptera, the solar vehicle, 1000 miles to a charge, will be the one I'll buy next year... Keeping them all, Mini Jay Leno...