Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Please add this feature!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Tesla decided to just implement the first part... go figure.

Yes, well, I'm becoming a bit of a broken record on this: As much as I love my MS, it unfortunately seems to have become the more recent Tesla modus operandi... IMHO, unless it's AutoPilot or Performance related, new functions generally appear to be introduced and gain press exposure, but Tesla does not then consistently circle back to finish and refine much of the good work they began in a timely manner. This causes some owners to just ignore or disable the function all-together, and what started as best-of-breed or a leading-edge capability, ends-up with less or little value in practical use, or begins to lag the competition as the number of missing refinements add up and the competition moves ahead.

There are many examples of this beyond Smart Preconditioning, e.g.: Nav (no waypoints, alternate routes, or road type exclusions that non-luxury vehicles have had for years); Media Player (limited presets, no XM cover art, USB skip/playing by itself, USB no playlists or cover art); Range Anxiety Mode has practical usability challenges... the list could go on.

What compounds this problem is most of the resolution is likely software-only that could be deployed OTA and benefit the entire fleet of today and tomorrow's MS, MX and M3 when it becomes available. While early enthusiasts put up with some of this, IMHO, as Tesla volumes increase to the masses, lack of prioritization to refine and enhance this "non-sexy stuff" that may never make it to press headlines, will become more of a customer satisfaction problem. "The normal Joe car-buyer" will just assume all the basics are there like they've known in other brands, to only be disappointed after they take delivery, perhaps impacting longer term Tesla cost and/or future sales. We unfortunately see a little of that already with new MS owners posting here on TMC. ;)

What you are asking for can be done in Visible Tesla I believe.
Visible Tesla doesn't work for me for this purpose as I don't leave my computer on 24/7 (though I do have a web server running that way that I'd like to get VT running on eventually, but it's a bit more complicated than I'd like)
I'm also playing with octoblu which may allow me to do what I want here (doing it on a set schedule with octoblu is dead simple, having it read my complex schedule is less so)