Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Please add this feature!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my fusion energi was able to preheat itself on a schedule so long as the vehicle is plugged in. It was one of the best features of the car. Every morning I would get in it at 6:30 am and it would be toasty warm even inside my unheated garage.

Today I became a proud owner of a S85 and realized that it was the only thing missing from this amazing machine.

I feel like this is an easy enough feature to add with a software update. It may even be a competitive advantage to 3rd party mobile app ;-) looking at you Remote S.

And or, an algorithm that begins your overnight charge so that it commences when your ready to leave, this way you battery is warm enough to accept regen on those cold winter days and no energy is wasted on a heating element.

Tesla has a feature called "Smart Preconditioning" that is *supposed* to do this automatically by figuring out when you normally get into your car and preconditioning it for you. That said, most people have it turned off because it's not particularly smart. I haven't used it in many releases so it might have gotten better. It takes some time to "learn" your behavior and is supposed to do things automatically after that point. You can give it a shot and see if it helps. Worst case you just turn it back off. Would be nice if they just had a manual option like you requested.

The other option is to use VisibleTesla on a PC and have it turn on the HVAC on a schedule.

We can do this from the Remote apps, just not on a schedule. That should certainly be easy to add.

I don't personally like how the car is supposed to figure out my schedule because I don't really have a regular schedule so it heats itself at weird times thinking it's figured me out, but I'm not that scheduled.

Tesla has a feature called "Smart Preconditioning" that is *supposed* to do this automatically by figuring out when you normally get into your car and preconditioning it for you. That said, most people have it turned off because it's not particularly smart. I haven't used it in many releases so it might have gotten better. It takes some time to "learn" your behavior and is supposed to do things automatically after that point. You can give it a shot and see if it helps. Worst case you just turn it back off. Would be nice if they just had a manual option like you requested.

The other option is to use VisibleTesla on a PC and have it turn on the HVAC on a schedule.

So it does exist! Thanks for the info!

I definitely do think they should allow manual pre-heating of the car on a fixed schedule, and I'd also like independent battery heating. I don't like it tied to cabin heating which I believe it is (when pre-heating).

I'm too OCD for the "smart" preconditioning.

During these winter months I haven't been able to experience one-pedal driving since my commute is only 15-20min and the battery isn't warm enough for full re-gen.

Ah, the joys of first world problems.

"Smart preconditioning" was about the dumbest possible way Tesla could have implemented that feature. it IS on a schedule, it's just not one you have any control over at all. If you have a "regular" schedule, it just might happen to guess it right, but it requires you to be leaving at the same time each day, so that would have been just as easy for you to set based on a clock instead of the Tesla guess, and if you don't have a "regular" schedule, it's completely useless.

They SHOULD have implemented it 2 ways:
1) allow you to select a time to start it, and which days of the week to do so.
OR (at the owner's choice)
2) work based on calendar appointments.

For anyone who can get smart pre-conditioning to work, number 1 would also work perfectly, and without the guesswork. For people like myself who have odd schedules, number 2 would be perfect as everywhere I go is in my calendar (including my work shifts)

Unfortunately whoever wrote the "smart preconditioning" did it in a way that was anything but smart.

We can do this from the Remote apps, just not on a schedule.

Yes I'd love it if that would work. The remote access never freakin works when I want it to. In fact for the last week the car won't respond at all. And I do have the car on "always connected' and also on "don't save energy" because as the app so helpfully advises... you need to do that if you want faster response. I'd just like ANY response at this point. Seriously, remote access is at best flaky and usually broken. And don't get me going on this 1/2 hour to re-register on 3G BS after sleeping.. It usually gets connected just in time for me to pull into work. Niiiice.

Yes I'd love it if that would work. The remote access never freakin works when I want it to. In fact for the last week the car won't respond at all. And I do have the car on "always connected' and also on "don't save energy" because as the app so helpfully advises... you need to do that if you want faster response. I'd just like ANY response at this point. Seriously, remote access is at best flaky and usually broken. And don't get me going on this 1/2 hour to re-register on 3G BS after sleeping.. It usually gets connected just in time for me to pull into work. Niiiice.
Welcome to Canada... Canadians have been complaining about the 3G here ever since Tesla launched... Unfortunately the LTE isn't getting any better reviews.

If you have found "Remote S" cannot connect but the Tesla app can, log out of Remote S, (tap the left hand top icon to show the drop-down menus and then tap the icon on the right that is a car with arrows surrounding it. This will reveal a box with the Settings - Sign Out and Done. Tap Sign Out. Close the app and relaunch it and sign in with your Tesla ID and it should re-connect.

"Smart preconditioning" was about the dumbest possible way Tesla could have implemented that feature. it IS on a schedule, it's just not one you have any control over at all. If you have a "regular" schedule, it just might happen to guess it right, but it requires you to be leaving at the same time each day, so that would have been just as easy for you to set based on a clock instead of the Tesla guess, and if you don't have a "regular" schedule, it's completely useless.

They SHOULD have implemented it 2 ways:
1) allow you to select a time to start it, and which days of the week to do so.
OR (at the owner's choice)
2) work based on calendar appointments.

For anyone who can get smart pre-conditioning to work, number 1 would also work perfectly, and without the guesswork. For people like myself who have odd schedules, number 2 would be perfect as everywhere I go is in my calendar (including my work shifts)

Unfortunately whoever wrote the "smart preconditioning" did it in a way that was anything but smart.

Not sure if the current way things work supports your option 2 (calendar-based). The car actually doesn't know your calendar appointments when your phone is not paired to the car. It's only after pairing does the Tesla App transfer the calendar events over to the car. It's the most straightforward way to support multiple drivers with independent calendars. Of course, it could be implemented on the phone app side... The app itself can send the pre-conditioning commands to the car based on it's schedule. I think that would solve all of the problems.

Tesla should have went the Nest way. It "learns" my schedule, but I can see what it learned, and if I don't like it, I can fine tune it.

Tesla decided to just implement the first part... go figure.

What you are asking for can be done in Visible Tesla I believe.

I have installed Visible Tesla, and it is very useful. But for this application it is not practical. It requires that your computer be on and Visible Tesla open and running at the time that you want your car to preheat or charge. For people who are on the go and use a laptop this just becomes more of a hassle than opening the app on your phone and pressing the button and possibly a reminder so you dont forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla should have went the Nest way. It "learns" my schedule, but I can see what it learned, and if I don't like it, I can fine tune it.

Tesla decided to just implement the first part... go figure.

Software update IS imminent. I have my fingers crossed for it to be fully implemented like this. Super easy for them to do.