TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Please,please,please, something on 91 in VT above Brattleboro

Discussion in 'New England' started by mcstephen66, Jun 28, 2015.

1. mcstephen66

mcstephen66 New Member

SC in Vermont needed, as in 3 years ago. Nothing on I-91,except in the extreme south, close to Mass. boarder.
    So many Canadains comment to me they are afraid to get "Stuck in the States" Tesla is
    losing a HUGE market up there.They love the car but no SC except for Drummonville,68 miles N.W., too far.
    Get VT involved,after all they are the 'EARTHY/CRUNCHY'state.
    93/91 (rt55 in Canada) need something. Hookset,NH to Magog,Quebec does not make it,especially in the cold weather.
    I am 6 miles short every time heading up from Boston.Attempted it 16 times this year. Can't be done. 55mph,61mph,64,mph,66mph. On the return, I manage to make it with 3 miles to spare due to the downhills....... only in the nice weather, 38f or below, have to stop in NH and take 90 minites somewhere to get to Hookset to SC.Got charged for $10 once a for 4 mile charge!!!!!

Please,please,please,put a SC in 91 and watch the stock jump up 5-8%. Sales will shoot up now the Quebecians can get back home ;-), watch and see. No joke!

Prof. McHugh- Boston
    2013- Tesla Modle 60:mad:

2. tes-s

tes-s Member

#2 tes-s, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. mattmass

mattmass Member

Wow - 16 times and you didn't make it once? That's brutal!

I've pretty familiar with the drive from Boston to Montreal along the 93-89. I've made the trip maybe 10 times in an 85D. CHAdeMO adapter makes it possible. Just be wary of Fuji chargers, they are problematic and also limited to 25kW. I've had good-ish luck with Nissan units, but there's no guarantee with those either. Expect to make two stops. Go, CHAdeMO!

West Lebanon is nearly open, and South Burlington is planned. Once those two are up, this trip should be a breeze, even in the Winter.

4. Fiver

Fiver Member

While it's not marked anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see a SC go in at the Jct of 93 and 91. That would cover the north nicely. You could get up into Canada easy, and is a nice stop north of the 89/91 Jct supercharger in West Leb.
    I don't have any inside information on this, but it seems like a perfect location.

5. tga

tga Active Member

I've always thought St. Johnsbury (91/93 junction) would be a decent location. It would be around 125 miles from there to Drummondville.

My brother frequently travels CT<-> Montreal via I-91 and A-10 (not the most efficient route, but a nice change).

I'll be in West Lebanon tomorrow; I'll check for any updates.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Take a look at Supercharge.Info — New England to see the stations known to be under construction and in the planning/permitting stage on the way north of Brattleboro, connecting to Quebec.

7. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Hope you get your wish.....How about Maine?? Only three states without SCs: Mississippi, North Dakota and Maine.

8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Probably right if you consult a 1947 map.

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

10. AlMc

That is about the year I graduated (1947) from school.....There are more than 48 states?:confused:.........................:wink:

11. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Well, in the 48-contiguous states, you also need to remember Nebraska and Arkansas...

12. AlMc

#12 AlMc, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Good thing I stuck with math/science in school.

edit: Sorry OP....back on topic.....any new SCs are a good thing and many parts of the country, including Vermont, could use some 'soon'

13. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I-91 turns into Autroute 55 at the Canadian border. Magog is the town at the intersection of A 55 and A 10. It would be a good location for a Supercharger. For the near future, however, the number one option there will be a 125A CHAdeMO station scheduled to open in late July. Circuit Électrique network, so $10/hr, billed by the minute, for DCQC service.

The host is a freshly built complex whose by name doesn't appear on many maps:

Espace Santé Globale, 2381-2389, rue Principale Ouest (route 112), Magog, Québec.
    Distances in miles to Superchargers: Drummondville 63. Montreal 80, West Lebanon 131, South Burlington (planned) 112.

14. tes-s

tes-s Member

Aren't the Montreal and Drummondville superchargers easily reachable from West Lebanon? Burlington coming as well.

Isn't Magog reachable round-trip from other superchargers?

More superchargers are always better - and reduce the need for range charging which takes a long time. But doesn't it make sense to enable more routes first?

15. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Last Winter, temperatures were below zero F everyday in Quebec, so no, West Lebanon is not easily reachable from Drummondville. 60s even have to fully charge and then watch their speed in the Summer.

16. tes-s

tes-s Member

Yes, forgot about 60s. I drove 195 miles in -4F so still reachable in winter, but not easily. Until they add another supercharger, I guess for 60s and in 0F weather Montreal would be the preferred route. Even 60s should be able to do that in 0F.

17. mattmass

mattmass Member

Perhaps obvious, but this is a pretty important point. More northern areas need a higher density of chargers. Just eyeballing Tesla's supercharger image, it doesn't really look like that's their plan, at least not yet.

I know, I know, major routes first and all. But, I would like a little more deference for the winter drivers ;)

18. sauce

sauce New Member

Magog and South Burlington will be perfect for securing routes between Drummondville and Montreal to New England.

Plattsburg is the most sorely needed SC for people in Quebec to reach NY and East Coast destinations southwards. I-81 is just not an option at this time.

19. Spacebird

Spacebird Member

West Lebanon off 89 at 91 is now open.