TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Please, please -- Tesla app needs push notifications

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Mordi, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Mordi

Mordi Member

I know it has been mentioned in threads on requested app features, but I think this deserves its own thread. I charge while at work on any one of several chargers provided by my office park (not operated by commercial providers like ChargePoint or Blink). At least a couple times a week, I go to my car at the end of the day and find that it has stopped charging. I have no idea whether this is some Leaf-owning interloper or a power failure at the source, but a building card is needed to re-start charging. Whenever this occurs, I have the multiple frustration of having wasted charging time, going home with less than optimal range, occupying a charging space unnecessarily, etc. If the iPhone app would feature push notifications of critical errors like a charging interruption, I could remedy the issue immediately (and would not have to remember to check the app every 30 minutes throughout the work day). I would gladly give up all of my "like" notifications on Instagram in exchange for push notifications that are actually useful.

And I'm sure there are other items worthy of a push notification, like the car alarm going off, charging completion, interior temperatures reaching a certain level, etc.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Have you written to Ownership?

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

I agree. I have written into ownership as well concerning this.

4. strider

strider Active Member

Our Chargepoint stations at work will SMS me when the car stops charging and/or is unplugged. I know it's not what you asked for but could be a workaround until Tesla adds the feature to their app.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

perhaps one of the guys in the Rest API thread can write a small program that will check your car every 30 minutes and email you when charging has finished.

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

I think that this feature would be helpful at crowded Supercharger locations as well.

From the Supercharger FAQ:
    I like to patonize local restaurants when I'm charging at a Supercharger and I'm prepared to move my car while dining if a Supercharger is crowded. This application would be more convenient than constantly launching the current application to determine my charging status.

Larry

7. nikita

nikita Member

+1. I would prefer an email option because it is more universal.

My 240V breaker misbehaves from time to time and I would prefer to be notified when charging stops instead of constantly checking the app (especially on days before a trip).