Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please prove to me that shorts drive the stock down constantly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla stock is depicted on this forum as some sort of battle between the forces of good (bulls) and evil (shorts). I cannot possibly believe that each and every day shorts use tactics to successfully drive the price down.

Could it be that most people on this forum have no idea what makes the stock go up and down and just come up with their own fairy tales on a daily basis?

Please prove to me that short manipulation exists and it is as pervasive as the posts on this forum say. I admit I have a lot to learn.

upload_2018-1-12_10-18-8.png

Do you believe stockowners (including those of us on the forum) try to drive the price up by talking Tesla up? Then it's not hard to believe that when you have 25% short interest that there are people who try to drive the price down by talking Tesla down.

When a SeekAlpha article comes out negative for Tesla with the owner disclosing they have a short position, it's pretty obvious.

And... neither side is evil. They're just on a different side of the bet.

Reactions: neroden and zmarty
I understand there is a lot of short interest for this stock. I also get the overall trend of positive and negative articles that try to affect the stock.

My question was more about the day-to-day "technicals" of the stock. Are there actually stock manipulation tactics that are attempted so often (every day). How do you know and how do they work?

Reactions: replicant
I cannot possibly believe that each and every day shorts use tactics to successfully drive the price down.

Well they don't succeed every day, so that is out.

If someone is selling to take a profit, they might likely spread out the sales or use limit orders to keep the price up so maximize their profit. A market-manipulating short (v.s the speculative type) sells at market in order to drive the price down.
Given those two modes of operation, which option is more likely when you see a large volume along with a sharp drop in price?

Similarly, limit orders would cap the price of stock, not cause it to retreat from the limit price (wack a mole).

Caveat: with multiple people/ others placing orders, things can line up to create similar responses, so you need to look at the overall history, not just a single blip.

Reactions: zmarty
Pretty ridiculous thread title but I guess it draws interest. It's the nature of the stock market that there is no way to clearly prove/disprove anything. Virtually every explanation for stock movement has holes in it. Remember the book "A Random Walk Down Wall Street?" Ah, now that makes some sense. That's why everything bounces around, up and down, right? Turns out, it's not quite so simple or random after all. The efficient market has some "inefficiencies." Technical analysis? Voodoo, right? Well, not exactly, but you can't prove/disprove it. These are all ways of trying to make some sense and even try to predict stock movement to the extent possible. I've followed Papafox's analysis now for well over a year. It makes more sense to me and is wayyyy more accurate than the financial analysts/gurus. I don't necessarily know if it's true but it goes a long way toward making some sense of the daily wackiness of TSLA. Best advice I have is to follow Papafox's daily analysis for at least a few weeks and decide for yourself. It will either make sense to you or not.