Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please QUICK help with TIRE Selection for Aftermarket Wheels MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Im super excited to pick up my MYP this coming up week, and I need to buy tires for 18x8.5" or at most 19x8.5"

I would like to get Purecontacts LS 245/50R18 load index 100v for both front and back, is that an absolute NO since load index is lower?? im not going to be towing or carrying mortar...

another option (less preferable) is 245/45R19 102v

Will tire places put these tires on rims and on my tesla or are they all going to deny because the load index is lower? but more importantly, is it SAFE to put those tires on?

Thank you so much, i need an answer asap please as i have to decide to buy 18's or 19's

THANK YOU AGAIN!

Hi, Im super excited to pick up my MYP this coming up week, and I need to buy tires for 18x8.5" or at most 19x8.5"

I would like to get Purecontacts LS 245/50R18 load index 100v for both front and back, is that an absolute NO since load index is lower?? im not going to be towing or carrying mortar...

another option (less preferable) is 245/45R19 102v

Will tire places put these tires on rims and on my tesla or are they all going to deny because the load index is lower? but more importantly, is it SAFE to put those tires on?

Thank you so much, i need an answer asap please as i have to decide to buy 18's or 19's

THANK YOU AGAIN!
I suggest you call the actual tire center to ask them the questions directly. There have been cases where a tire center did mention that they would not install it due to load rating issues, but all stores are different. Call a couple around your area and ask them. Or better yet, get it done at a Tesla SC so you can speak with them directly? Not sure if they would, but wouldn't hurt to try.

Upvote 0
Thank youfor inputs, what about putting Purecontact LS on the front and Quadrac Pro on the back? this will meet the load index, but different tires front/back.

Also i did size comparison between stock MYP wheels/tires and since fronts are 255/35/21 and backs are 275/35/21s they are different in Diameter where the back are 2.1% larger, which kinda tells me i can do it but wanted to get your opinion guys. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Can someone clear this up for me. If i get Quatrac pro and the tires are more narrow then Stock, does load index have to go up because they are more narrow or can it remain 104?

I thinking of getting 235/55/18

thank you
The tire load index of the replacement tires do not have to be chosen to be higher if you choose a tire that is more narrow (235mm) than stock (255), the require load index does not need to be changed. However, if you choose a tire with a lower profile, i.e. 50 versus 55, then the tire load index may no longer meet the same spec. For example only - the Vredestein QUATRAC Pro tires are available in both size 235/55R-18 (104V) and size 235/50R-18 (101V). The 50 profile tire has a lower profile (thinner sidewall) and a lower load index (101 versus 104.)

Note that the OE 19" tires, size 255/45R-19 have a speed rating of Y (186 MPH.) The Vredestein QUATRAC Pro tires in size 235/55R-18 have a speed rating of V (149 MPH.) Strictly speaking, tires fitted to the Performance Model Y (Top speed 155 MPH) should have a speed rating of W (168 MPH) or Y (186 MPH). Tires fitted to the Long Range Model Y (Top speed 135 MPH) should have a minimum speed rating of V (149). The speed rating of the tire should be equal to or greater than the top speed of the vehicle. There seems to be a bit more flexibility to the speed rating rule when fitting winter tires to the vehicle as the vehicle/tire configuration tool (at least on TireRack's site) may suggest winter tires with a lower speed rating than the vehicle's top speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZzzzZ and jpy1980
Upvote 0
The tire load index of the replacement tires do not have to be chosen to be higher if you choose a tire that is more narrow (235mm) than stock (255), the require load index does not need to be changed. However, if you choose a tire with a lower profile, i.e. 50 versus 55, then the tire load index may no longer meet the same spec. For example only - the Vredestein QUATRAC Pro tires are available in both size 235/55R-18 (104V) and size 235/50R-18 (101V). The 50 profile tire has a lower profile (thinner sidewall) and a lower load index (101 versus 104.)

Note that the OE 19" tires, size 255/45R-19 have a speed rating of Y (186 MPH.) The Vredestein QUATRAC Pro tires in size 235/55R-18 have a speed rating of V (149 MPH.) Strictly speaking, tires fitted to the Performance Model Y (Top speed 155 MPH) should have a speed rating of W (168 MPH) or Y (186 MPH). Tires fitted to the Long Range Model Y (Top speed 135 MPH) should have a minimum speed rating of V (149). The speed rating of the tire should be equal to or greater than the top speed of the vehicle. There seems to be a bit more flexibility to the speed rating rule when fitting winter tires to the vehicle as the vehicle/tire configuration tool (at least on TireRack's site) may suggest winter tires with a lower speed rating than the vehicle's top speed.
Thank you so much for a great explanation, could you finish with another point please... So as i'll be getting a higher profile 55 or 50, how much lower load index can i go with since they are higher? And since i will never be traveling at such high speeds, it won't matter for the Speed rating then, right?

My perfect tire would be PURECONTACT LS - SIZE: 235/55R18 they are 100V. And so would they be good match?

Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for a great explanation, could you finish with another point please... So as i'll be getting a higher profile 55 or 50, how much lower load index can i go with since they are higher? And since i will never be traveling at such high speeds, it won't matter for the Speed rating then, right?

My perfect tire would be PURECONTACT LS - SIZE: 235/55R18 they are 100V. And so would they be good match?

Thank you
The V rating would be adequate for the Long Range Model Y. At one time you could go down in speed rating by one speed rating letter, i.e. V to H and expect that the handling might not be as tight as with the V rated tires. These days, because of liability, a tire seller might be hesitant to sell, install tires that do not meet the OE specification. One argument would be that someone could later purchase the vehicle from you and exceed the safe speed for the tires. (I don't know if race tracks routinely inspect, approve vehicles before allowing vehicles onto the track.)

Tesla does not offer 18" tires for the Model Y. The tire load index for OE Continental tires with the 19" Gemini wheel is 104. With the 20" Induction wheels and OE Goodyear tires the load index is 101. (The Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels has a reduced passenger capacity when towing.) The staggered 21" Uberturbine wheel/tire configuration on the Performance Model Y have a load index of 98 (front) and 103 (rear). Just using the tire load index of the 21" rear tires (103) the load index from 101 to 104 would be indicated.

Load Index / rated maximum load per tire (lbs)
98: 1653 lbs (Model Y load index, front only, 21" wheels, tires)
100: 1764 lbs (Your proposed tires)
101: 1819 lbs (Model Y load index, front and rear, 20" wheels,tires)
102: 1874 lbs (just to fill out the list)
103: 1929 lbs (Model Y load index, rear, 21" wheels, tires)
104: 1984 lbs (Model Y load index, front and rear, 19" wheels, tires)

If you would not be using the Model Y to tow a trailer then a load index of 101 would match the 20" OE tires. Otherwise, a load index of 103 or 104 would be best. If you install tires with a load index of 100 then the rear tires would be under the specified load rating (for the 20" tires) by a combined 110 lbs.

Reactions: jpy1980 and ZzzzZ
Upvote 0
Thank you again, we're getting there. I plan on keeping my MYP for a long time, it has no hitch and i will not be towing, Have another MYLR with hitch for that till cybertruck gets released. Oh im getting 18" martian wheels. As per your previous reply, you've mentioned that higher profile wheels can have lower load index. Im just trying to see if i can actually go with those purecontact LS without any issue since they have 55 sidewall in *MY* situation where i never will go above 100 MPH.

thank you again

Upvote 0
Thank you again, we're getting there. I plan on keeping my MYP for a long time, it has no hitch and i will not be towing, Have another MYLR with hitch for that till cybertruck gets released. Oh im getting 18" martian wheels. As per your previous reply, you've mentioned that higher profile wheels can have lower load index. Im just trying to see if i can actually go with those purecontact LS without any issue since they have 55 sidewall in *MY* situation where i never will go above 100 MPH.

thank you again

For a given tire when comparing two different profiles, i.e. 55 and 50 the tire with the lower profile (50) will likely have a lower load index. The manufacturer can reinforce the sidewall to maintain the same or similar load index as the tire with the taller profile (55.) This is not to imply that it is ok to substitute a tire with a lower profile or a higher profile if the tire load index is less than the specified load index for the OE tire. I don't think you should consider tires with a load index of less than 101, preferably the tires should have a load index of 103 or 104 whatever the profile of the tire.

A tire with a V speed rating would be safe for speeds up to 149 MPH; technically the Performance Model Y could be driven slightly faster than than 149 MPH (155 MPH.) Another consideration is that a V rated tire may not handle as well at higher speeds as the W (168 MPH) rated tire or Y (186 MPH) rated tire. Tires with a higher speed rating tend to have a stiffer sidewall. This could provide better control.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZzzzZ and jpy1980
Upvote 0