Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

please recommend quality all season 19" for S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla owners,
I'm brand new to the club getting my first Tesla today (2013 Model S P85+) which has 21".
I prefer softer ride, all season, and efficiency and am getting new FASTEV01+ rims which are 19"
I would like the best of all season, quiet/smooth ride, and low rolling resistance.
Also a Costco fanatic. Any recommendations?
thanks!

Haven't tried to many different flavor of tires, but I do like my Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. I bought the car used with some amazingly cheap tires, and these are at least way better than those. I did get the tires swapped out a week before the crazy snow storm last February and the car handled very well.

I imagine just switching from 21s to 19s will be a huge change in the smoothness of the car's ride.

Here is a summary of my experiences:
OEM Michelin - ~ 16K miles life, worst road noise, worst comfort, worst durability (no tread wear warranty) ~320 Wh/mi
Cinturato P7 Plus AS - ~34K miles, better road noise, and better comfort, and better durability (70K miles tread wear warranty) ~298Wh/mi
Cinturato P7 Plus AS (again) - ~31K miles. See above.
Continental PureContact LS - ~500 miles. So far best road noise, best comfort, unknown durability (70K miles tread wear warranty), So far ~303 Wh/mi

So far I only have 500 miles into my Continental PureContact LS tires, but I am liking it the best out of the ones I used so far. The Cinturato P7 Plus AS is good, but it is a tad rougher in ride and noise. But I do feel more planted to the ground with Cinturato P7 Plus AS. The Continental seems to be more floaty like you are riding on air. I have bad experience with Michelins from my old vehicles so I vow never to buy another Michelin if I can avoid it. I can't comment on other tire brands because I haven't used them. For wet driving, both the Cinturato P7 and the Continental seems very good. The Cinturato P7 is pretty good in snow. I haven't taken the Continental on snow yet. I have AWD model S though so that helps. The only time I spin my wheels is in heavy oil slick rain under hard acceleration or at end of tread life under hard acceleration.

Best of luck on your decision!

Reactions: jebinc
2nd the suggestions for the Nokian WRG4 (on our MS 85D). Good all round tire for the Pacific Northwest. Does well in the rain and quieter than the stock Michelins.
I too would like to buy tires from Costco, but they never seem to have stock (I wanted the Bridgestone Quiettrack last summer). Same problem with our MY snowtires at Costco, no stock. Ended up finding some Pilot PA4 snow tires for our SR RWD for our old ICE garage for a better price than Costco.

The first and best upgrade I made to my car was getting rid of the easily damaged 21" wheels and replacing them with 19" wheels and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. The tires can lock in for a Ludicrous launch even on wet pavement with no drama. Relatively quiet, comfortable, and I love them!

Michelin has since released a Pilot Sport AS 4 tire and if I had to get new tires that's what I'd buy.

Reactions: AaronP85
The first and best upgrade I made to my car was getting rid of the easily damaged 21" wheels and replacing them with 19" wheels and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. The tires can lock in for a Ludicrous launch even on wet pavement with no drama. Relatively quiet, comfortable, and I love them!

Michelin has since released a Pilot Sport AS 4 tire and if I had to get new tires that's what I'd buy.
I tried a brand new set of these and I can tell you that they are sketchy af if you plan to drive them in freezing temps. Compound is hard as a rock in cold/snowy weather. I really thought they would be better since they were nearly 2x more expensive and the winter ratings were better which was complete BS. I verified that first hand and it's Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 for me from here on out. I've had over a dozen sets of them on various cars (several Model S now) and if you want a single all-season tire to get you through 4 seasons, that's the one to get. If you don't have a real winter (3 seasons) then those Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ might be fine. I'd still get the Conti's for less money based on my first-hand experiences with both. Haven't yet tried the AS 4 but much of what I read led me to believe they were about the same as the A/S 3+ in terms of compound being too aggressive for cold/snow weather.

Full agreement on ditching the 21's in favor of 19's being one of the best every-day-livability upgrades you can make on these cars though.

I just got the Michelin Crossclimate 2’s from Costco last week. They replaced Nokian WRG’s (I couldn’t find anyone selling them for Tesla’s, strangely enough).

First impressions were good, driving through the recent PNW rain storms on I5 with confidence. Found them to be quieter than the Nokian too. I hope not to find out how they work in the snow, but I believe they have the mountain/snowflake mark for winter driving.

I tried a brand new set of these and I can tell you that they are sketchy af if you plan to drive them in freezing temps. Compound is hard as a rock in cold/snowy weather. I really thought they would be better since they were nearly 2x more expensive and the winter ratings were better which was complete BS. I verified that first hand and it's Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 for me from here on out. I've had over a dozen sets of them on various cars (several Model S now) and if you want a single all-season tire to get you through 4 seasons, that's the one to get. If you don't have a real winter (3 seasons) then those Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ might be fine. I'd still get the Conti's for less money based on my first-hand experiences with both. Haven't yet tried the AS 4 but much of what I read led me to believe they were about the same as the A/S 3+ in terms of compound being too aggressive for cold/snow weather.

Full agreement on ditching the 21's in favor of 19's being one of the best every-day-livability upgrades you can make on these cars though.

Apparently they specifically made extreme cold weather improvements with Pilots Sport AS4.

But for the kind of weather we have in the DC area and Ludicrous launches in sometimes wet weather, I love how the AS 3+ perform.

if I lived in Colorado, I'd get a dedicated set of winter tires and perhaps ultra high performance all season or summer tires for the non-winter months.

Apparently they specifically made extreme cold weather improvements with Pilots Sport AS4.

But for the kind of weather we have in the DC area and Ludicrous launches in sometimes wet weather, I love how the AS 3+ perform.

if I lived in Colorado, I'd get a dedicated set of winter tires and perhaps ultra high performance all season or summer tires for the non-winter months.
A lot of people do that but I'm just not a fan of constant wheel swaps several times a year especially on multiple vehicles. I've been really quite happy with running the DWS06 tires I mentioned previously as well as the predecessor DWS across the decades on all kinds of high performance sedans. Mostly Audis before I made the transitions to Model S's. I thought I would give up a bit more in performance on something like my P90DL but I measured 0-60 blasts on those Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (when new) in the summer several times and did the same thing with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 and the times were basically identical. I was pretty impressed with the supper performance of these tires as I was sure I would see a wider margin in summer performance than I measured. It was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the ability to run one set of tires year 'round and have much safer tires in the winter months. I was happy to learn that it wasn't a sacrifice at all and only upside in terms of tread life, winter performance and overall cost. No real downsides at all from my personal experience.

Maybe that AS4 is the next big thing from Michelin but all I know is it would have to be a significant improvement over the A/S 3+ to even rival what I've experienced with these DWS06's. Time will tell if it's actually an improvement to justify the price tag which I seriously doubt. If it is, I will happily pay more for improved summer and winter performance though. I'm just skeptical that that is the case based on my experience of the previously marketing "best AIO tire" the A/S 3+ and had poorly that performed.

I ended up putting on the new 19 inch EV01+ rims as well as the Continental PureContact LS tires. There is a noticeable improvement in the sound and ride. Even the performance on hydroplaning hazards was much better compared to the 21 inch performance tires. However, NOW THERE IS A PROBLEM in that I get the TMPS alert that there is a fault in recognizing the new tires, even when I asked the system to reset the TMPS monitoring. I did drive over 25mph for over 10 minutes several times but the reset isn't working out. I wonder if the Tesla needs additional info such as somehow entering 19 inch tires since it expects 21 inch as are listed inside the car door on the specs. Tesla site suggested there is a place to choose 19 inch on the screen during TMPS reset, but I haven't seen that on this 2013 P85+. Any suggestions to make the TMPS reset work correctly?

I ended up putting on the new 19 inch EV01+ rims as well as the Continental PureContact LS tires. There is a noticeable improvement in the sound and ride. Even the performance on hydroplaning hazards was much better compared to the 21 inch performance tires. However, NOW THERE IS A PROBLEM in that I get the TMPS alert that there is a fault in recognizing the new tires, even when I asked the system to reset the TMPS monitoring. I did drive over 25mph for over 10 minutes several times but the reset isn't working out. I wonder if the Tesla needs additional info such as somehow entering 19 inch tires since it expects 21 inch as are listed inside the car door on the specs. Tesla site suggested there is a place to choose 19 inch on the screen during TMPS reset, but I haven't seen that on this 2013 P85+. Any suggestions to make the TMPS reset work correctly?
Did you get the Tesla BLE TMPS modules for the new rims?

The “wheel configuration” option is in the service menu - that might do it?