TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Please remove "Preconditioning battery" message

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by M3BlueGeorgia, Jan 4, 2020.

1. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

Are we the only people irritated by the obnoxious "Preconditioning battery..." message?

Yes, it is kinda interesting to know this, but it sits in the same place as much more important messages, and it's really obnoxious. IMG_20200104_114737.jpg

Attached Files:

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Have you tried swiping to left?

I haven’t tried for that message alert but it works for other ones.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I wasn't able to swipe the message away a few months ago, but maybe it's changed since then ?

4. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Not too sure, but a couple months ago I had low tire pressure warning that was able to swipe away (minimize).

5. M3BlueGeorgia

Swiping left briefly minimizes it, but it comes back the moment some other (important) message is displayed.

It's like the car is so pleased with itself that it has to continuously tell you it's doing it.

We just drove 60 miles with it doing that, and it's driving my wife nuts (she is driving this leg)

Note: not new behavior. We are on 2019.40.50.5

• Funny x 3
  6. towndrunk

towndrunk Member

I hear there's meds for that.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
  7. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

I'm not familiar with the 3 UI. Is that a charge icon on the bottom middle of your screenshot? If so, I would have just modified that in some way to denote the preconditioning. It's not like you need to know this information, or even care, really.
    I'm betting a developer had a requirement to show an indication, scanned the GUI API and saw the alert display, and just used that. Commit, change ticket, next!

• Informative x 2
  8. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Member

For me the "important message" that gets covered up is the Autopilot nag warning, which is way more important than Preconditioning.
    When an UI displays multiple messages in a single space, there has to be a Z axis prioritization that forces the most important message to the top, overwriting low priority Preconditioning messages.

• Like x 2
  9. jamaro

jamaro Member

Wait until you get that one swapping out intermittently for another alert. Due to a loaner tire. that area on my screen keeps flashing between "Hey, I'm preheating here!" and a low air alert.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

status messages like this (that are not urgent) should be in a 'tray' area. a stable, unchanging area that we can look at if we want to see status msgs.

I don't think tesla understands that concept.

generally I like tesla's UI but here, I agree with you, its annoying and bad UI design

• Like x 5
  11. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

i agree, there is nothing i can do with the preconditioning message so why even show it to me?

• Like x 2
  12. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

My thought (not that I agree) is that to alert us to the sound it makes as to not alarm us.

13. M3BlueGeorgia

...then it sits there, fighting for screen space with other, more important messages.

• Like x 1
  14. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

My car doesn’t precondition for that far a distance to a super charger. You have to be closer before it starts. Maybe if it’s a colder battery it’s starts earlier.

• Like x 1
  15. M3BlueGeorgia

We saw 60 miles once and it made absolutely no sense.

Normally, over the last 3 days on our drive back to Atlanta from Northern Colorado, it preconditioned the battery for the last 15-20 minutes before each Supercharger.

Yes the 60 miles was exceptional and four times as irritating.

• Informative x 1
  16. ZOMGVTEK

ZOMGVTEK Member

Yeah, I think those messages are annoying too. It should hide itself automatically after a bit, or maybe move the spot where non critical messages show up to make them less annoying. The camera messages are annoying in winter as well, there’s pretty much always at least one camera blocked or dirty.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  17. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

I would gladly trade AP nag (as in remove it permanently)

I only really get preconditioning for SC message if I’ve killed the heater to range just a bit further.

18. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Active Member

Navigate to 50 feet from the SC:)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Done it. Got the precondition message to come up across the street from an SC when it was 35f out but on a warmer day, zilch.

20. M3BlueGeorgia

The problem isn't the Preconditioning, it's the use of a priority message area to display a low information message.

• Like x 1