Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please school me on supercharging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few questions on supercharging speed and impact on battery life.

I have a 2013 S P85+ purchased used a few years ago. It has lifetime free supercharging, regardless of ownership transfer.
Max charge equates to around 260 miles. But I think now it is a little less than that.
I have a dryer plug @35 watts at home that gets me 17mph charging speed, enough to get a decent charge overnight.

But I found that my electricity bill increased a lot when I charged at home, so I switched to only supercharging. I'd combine trips to the shopping center, for shopping or eating, with supercharging so I didn't have a lot of wasted time. Or I'd meet up with my old friends from my former workplace, where there is a supercharger. I don't charge all the way up, only to 80% or sometimes as much as 90% if I am unable to return to my car soon enough.

Even when at a 150kW supercharger, even with a very low battery the car would not charge much above 75kW ~ 80kW, and would of course drop as it charged.

So I have learned to accept the time involved to charge up, and find ways to pass the time. Since I am retired now, it is not a big problem for me.

But I am concerned about impact on battery life. The car, though now 8 years or so old, still has less than 40,000 miles on it. I've read, here and there, that for battery life and total range capacity, etc., it is best to NOT supercharge. I think I even saw some mention somewhere that the best thing is to use only the 110v charging to top off every night (though I frankly don't know what you'd do if you drive more than, say, 30 miles per day).

I would really like to understand what the best practices are, and what the worst case scenario or other general adverse impacts might be, with respect to supercharging, all the time or otherwise. Will always supercharging to charge have truly deleterious impact on battery life, capacity or charging speed, and if so, how significant might this be?

Also, I sometimes do not charge until the car is around 10% of battery capacity, as I prefer to minimize my trips to the supercharger. Does this create any potential battery life (or other) issues?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and advice.

I have a few questions on supercharging speed and impact on battery life.

I have a 2013 S P85+ purchased used a few years ago. It has lifetime free supercharging, regardless of ownership transfer.
Max charge equates to around 260 miles. But I think now it is a little less than that.
I have a dryer plug @35 watts at home that gets me 17mph charging speed, enough to get a decent charge overnight.

But I found that my electricity bill increased a lot when I charged at home, so I switched to only supercharging. I'd combine trips to the shopping center, for shopping or eating, with supercharging so I didn't have a lot of wasted time. Or I'd meet up with my old friends from my former workplace, where there is a supercharger. I don't charge all the way up, only to 80% or sometimes as much as 90% if I am unable to return to my car soon enough.

Even when at a 150kW supercharger, even with a very low battery the car would not charge much above 75kW ~ 80kW, and would of course drop as it charged.

So I have learned to accept the time involved to charge up, and find ways to pass the time. Since I am retired now, it is not a big problem for me.

But I am concerned about impact on battery life. The car, though now 8 years or so old, still has less than 40,000 miles on it. I've read, here and there, that for battery life and total range capacity, etc., it is best to NOT supercharge. I think I even saw some mention somewhere that the best thing is to use only the 110v charging to top off every night (though I frankly don't know what you'd do if you drive more than, say, 30 miles per day).

I would really like to understand what the best practices are, and what the worst case scenario or other general adverse impacts might be, with respect to supercharging, all the time or otherwise. Will always supercharging to charge have truly deleterious impact on battery life, capacity or charging speed, and if so, how significant might this be?

Also, I sometimes do not charge until the car is around 10% of battery capacity, as I prefer to minimize my trips to the supercharger. Does this create any potential battery life (or other) issues?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and advice.
In regards of effects of supercharging all the time on your battery life it’s a gamble against your battery. Some people had no problems doing so for 100k miles others had failed batteries or sever degradation.

Did you tell the car's navigation to go to the supercharger?
That will give the car a time estimate to precondition the battery to help the charge rate.

Also were their other cars charging at the SC?
Did you make sure that you were not sharing the DC input load.
v1 (120kW) and v2 (150 kW) are shared across the same numbers. 1A shares with 1B.
v3 (250kW) are not shared, so you can pick any charging stall.

That's because Tesla gimped supercharging rates on all 85 kWh batteries via software update, without warning or notification. The batteries are most likely defective and will require replacement and Tesla is trying to "manage" the lifespan of the battery so that it fails out of warranty. Please read this thread to get up to date on what Tesla did to you and tens of thousands of others:

You should be pissed as hell.

That's because Tesla gimped supercharging rates on all 85 kWh batteries via software update, without warning or notification. The batteries are most likely defective and will require replacement and Tesla is trying to "manage" the lifespan of the battery so that it fails out of warranty. Please read this thread to get up to date on what Tesla did to you and tens of thousands of others:

You should be pissed as hell.
Are you saying only 85 are affected?

Regularly taking your battery to below 7% is not good for the battery, so avoid it when possible.

Keeping the battery plugged in whenever not driving, even to 15 A circuit, is recommended. So, after Supercharging to 70-80%, trickle charge to 80-90%.

Always charging with SC is not great for the battery.

Depending on where you live, consider your fellow Tesla users. In California, it sounds like lines are common. In my part of the world, there never is any congestion. I have never had to wait to charge.

They cut our charge rate down two years ago. My battery pack went bad last November. Refused to give me NEW pack. Excuse,. We don't make them anymore.... Got RE furbished, still only changes to 225miles and slowly.
There is a class action lawsuits in San Francisco about this. I joined. Norway just awarded 85kw folks $16000 because of battery down grade.
Charging is another issue. There are a thousand situations, so it's impossible to see any one day the same. I have log on every super charge all over the USA. In case they give me grief . I proved my point last year. They tested, said I was correct, bad cells.
I charge at home off a 14.50 , 50amp . Works fine. I have a page out of manual that says to plug in car every night.

Reactions: Russell
Regularly taking your battery to below 7% is not good for the battery, so avoid it when possible.

Keeping the battery plugged in whenever not driving, even to 15 A circuit, is recommended. So, after Supercharging to 70-80%, trickle charge to 80-90%.

Always charging with SC is not great for the battery.

Depending on where you live, consider your fellow Tesla users. In California, it sounds like lines are common. In my part of the world, there never is any congestion. I have never had to wait to charge.
Note that I have found that leaving the car plugged in all the time increases the idle consumption from about 0.5kwh/day to 2kwh/day mainly, it seems, as it prevents the car going to sleep.

I wonder if slow charging speeds direct connection to free supercharging and people abusing it bc they don’t want to pay little extra home.
I don't think so because i SC all the time since I live a million miles from nowhere. i still hit 120kW when I'm at like 5% most times.
This graph is all my SC since August of 2019, you can see the curve is some BS but that's not the point. Some cars have been hit with the curve sucking like mine some have been hit with top SC speed limits like I'm assuming the OP has. I have over 21,000 kWh that I've pulled from SC and knock on wood i haven't been nerfed yet.

charge graph.JPG

Reactions: WhiteWi