TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Please sign the petition to enable Spotify in U.S. Teslas

Discussion in 'Model S' started by pakman, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pakman

pakman Member

• Like x 3
  2. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'm pretty sure the Slacker contract has something to do with Tesla waiting a couple more months before enabling Spotify perhaps on 8.1. I don't think a petition is necessary.

3. pakman

pakman Member

The issue is one of cost. The commercial terms of Spotify are more expensive to Tesla than Slacker, since Slacker is a more limited service and operates with less expensive licenses. The simple solution is to enable it for those of us with existing Spotify accounts so Tesla doesn't have to absorb additional cost.

If enough of us suggest it, they will enable it...

• Like x 2
  4. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'm saying they plan to anyway.

5. cwave1

cwave1 Member

If you change the petition to North American cars (to also include Canada), then I'll sign it.

6. pakman

pakman Member

Hi @cwave1,

Changed it! Thanks,

David

7. Tam

Tam Active Member

Thanks for starting the petition!

8. odguy

odguy Member

Not trying to derail this thread, but if I signed up for slacker premium would I be able to repeat a song by tapping the back button?

9. deonb

deonb Active Member

Not signing this. Tesla Engineering needs to take a step back and prove they can add new features without breaking old ones.

Start small - move the battery icon one pixel to the right - only thing in the update. Does Hill Hold still work?

Great... next time try to move 2 icons...

8.0 has turned my Slacker into a White Elephant. It now stops Slacker each time I park in a place without cellular reception (like at my Office), and instead it always switches to the AM station that resonates with engine noise.

I used to use Slacker all the time but it's unusable like this, so I just turned off the Radio. Even if you change it from Slacker to Spotify, without fixing basic stuff like this, it won't help.

10. msnow

msnow Active Member

Spotify isn't really a new feature. It's been running in Europe for quite a while.

11. Tam

Tam Active Member

I respect your principle to fix an existing broken one first before getting a replacement.

However, if there is a choice of fixing an existing broken Slacker that even in its perfection, it's still inferior to Spotify, then I would not bother to fix the broken inferior Slacker in the first place.

12. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I'd modify the petition to add something along the lines of adding a debugged full feature set Spotify to US cars. My car Spotify regularly loses all it's playlists apart from the ones displaying on the screen at that time, it freezes when there's 24 seconds remaining of a song anytime I have less than perfect full strength reception. It gets stuck in a loop repeating the same fragment of song over and over that can only be fixed with a centre screen reset.
    This is a well known fault and it can be fixed with a factory reset that wipes the corrupted preference file along with every other setting in the car. After doing this several times, resetting all my preferences is more annoying than putting up with Spotify

13. msnow

msnow Active Member

Well if ever there was a reason for not wanting Spotify you just gave it.

14. Tam

Tam Active Member

We then have a choice between an inferior and buggy Slacker or a superior but also buggy Spotify.

Either way, it's still a buggy world!

15. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Why is Spotify better than Slacker?

16. Tam

Tam Active Member

Maximum sound quality for Slacker is 128kbps while it's 320kps for Spotify.

Spotify has a larger library and serves globally while Slacker is like a local library serving regionally in US and Canada.

Tesla Slacker version is not an actual premium version. Sometimes, when you call up a song and it plays you a similar song, not the one that you asked for.

It is even worse if you ask for a Vietnamese song, Slacker would give you a completely unrelated song in another tongue! Spotify has no such language problem.

With Spotify at least you have a "playlist" to be lost, you have none with Tesla Slacker....

• Like x 1
  17. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

You can also use your own Premium account (if you have one) with Spotify and so have multiple playlists. It also means that you can use Spotify on your phone as a 'remote control' to control music in the car so that passengers in the back seat for instance can select music.

• Informative x 1
  18. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Are you sure about the 128kbps limit on Slacker? I changed it to 320 on my phone app and I think the car picked up the setting, as its buffering more slowly now.

19. Tam

Tam Active Member

I am sorry that I am behind the time. I looked that up and Indeed Slacker has upgraded its speed to:

64, 128 and 320 kps since 2015 as mentioned in:

Slacker Radio (US) Streaming - 320 Kbps Bitrate Support

In previous firmware versions, you were able to set Tesla Slacker sound quality to either Medium or Best which was pointed out by the above post as 64 and 128 kps.

With this current version, there is no longer adjustable Tesla Slacker sound quality control.

20. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Signed. Thanks for changing it to include Canada.