Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please Support: Howard County Plan to Require EV Charging at New Construction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
We are looking for people to testify in support of Howard County bill CB76 that will require EV charging at new residential construction. This will be the first such law in Maryland and we want to show all lawmakers that there's tremendous support for EVs in Maryland to help gain enthusiasm for similar laws in other counties and the state.

We want to show up in force at the Howard County Council public hearing in Ellicott City on October 15.

Please let me know if you can testify on Monday, Oct. 15 at 7 PM.

Howard County Proposal to Require EV Charging at New Residential Construction | PlugInSites

I live in Howard county and Disagree with this bill. Why should they be forced? It would be in their best interest to build with EV charging but I don't believe in forcing it on a builder.
I agree. Market forces should drive EV adoption not a law. I think at this point you'd be an idiot to be building any new construction without giving it some consideration. If they wanted to give a tax break for a charging installation that would work, but forcing it is wrong.

If passed, proposed bill CB76-2018 would require at least one J-1772 Level 2 charging connector for each 25 residential units for new occupancies of multi-unit residential buildings including condominiums and co-ops.

If it was pre-wiring a 50A circuit into the garage, I'd be all over it. Welder/air compressor/ or EVSE.

Developers are required to comply with all sorts of safety, convenience, and quality of life regulations. This falls in the first category, you do not want residents bringing up their own adhoc charging such as extension cords and unpermitted installations. This provides a bare minimum for what developers need to do to meet the near term needs of the county's MDU residents.

HoCoMD CB76-2018 Intro.png

Howard County, MD Council Bill 76-2018 was formally introduced last night.

The bill passed!

Thanks everyone who came to testify or wrote to the Council in support. Councilwoman Jen Terrasa was very pleased with the response from the EV community. It really did make a difference.

Here's the Councilwoman's synopsis of the new ordinance:

This legislation does two things. For newly constructed communities with townhomes without garages or driveways, apartments, or condos, a community-accessible electric vehicle charging station must be installed at the ratio of 1 charging station per 25 units. For newly constructed single family homes or townhomes with garages or driveways, the developer is required to install what wiring so that the homeowner can easily complete the installation of a charging unit.​

The bill passed!

Thanks everyone who came to testify or wrote to the Council in support. Councilwoman Jen Terrasa was very pleased with the response from the EV community. It really did make a difference.

This legislation does two things. For newly constructed communities with townhomes without garages or driveways, apartments, or condos, a community-accessible electric vehicle charging station must be installed at the ratio of 1 charging station per 25 units. For newly constructed single family homes or townhomes with garages or driveways, the developer is required to install what wiring so that the homeowner can easily complete the installation of a charging unit.​
Yay! Did I miss the prewiring part originally, or was that a later change?

The bill passed!

Great news! I got the email saying it passed, as well. I'm glad I could help out with my letter of support. This is a win for current and future EV owners.