Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Please Support: Howard County Plan to Require EV Charging at New Construction

We are looking for people to testify in support of Howard County bill CB76 that will require EV charging at new residential construction. This will be the first such law in Maryland and we want to show all lawmakers that there's tremendous support for EVs in Maryland to help gain enthusiasm for similar laws in other counties and the state.

We want to show up in force at the Howard County Council public hearing in Ellicott City on October 15.

Please let me know if you can testify on Monday, Oct. 15 at 7 PM.

Howard County Proposal to Require EV Charging at New Residential Construction | PlugInSites

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
I live in Howard county and Disagree with this bill. Why should they be forced? It would be in their best interest to build with EV charging but I don't believe in forcing it on a builder.
I agree. Market forces should drive EV adoption not a law. I think at this point you'd be an idiot to be building any new construction without giving it some consideration. If they wanted to give a tax break for a charging installation that would work, but forcing it is wrong.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
I live in Howard county and Disagree with this bill. Why should they be forced? It would be in their best interest to build with EV charging but I don't believe in forcing it on a builder.

Because what would be very cheap for the developer would be much more expensive later for an owner who wants a plug-in.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Because what would be very cheap for the developer would be much more expensive later for an owner who wants a plug-in.

Yah, but based on this implementation plan, if the EV adoption goes above 4% in any 25 unit section, you're back to a scarce resource. At 7+ cars, you'd get the J1772 one day a week if you're lucky

Reactions: outdoors

vdiv

Chief Grump
Jan 20, 2015
Reston, VA
Developers are required to comply with all sorts of safety, convenience, and quality of life regulations. This falls in the first category, you do not want residents bringing up their own adhoc charging such as extension cords and unpermitted installations. This provides a bare minimum for what developers need to do to meet the near term needs of the county's MDU residents.

HoCoMD CB76-2018 Intro.png

Howard County, MD Council Bill 76-2018 was formally introduced last night.

The bill passed!

Thanks everyone who came to testify or wrote to the Council in support. Councilwoman Jen Terrasa was very pleased with the response from the EV community. It really did make a difference.

Here's the Councilwoman's synopsis of the new ordinance:

This legislation does two things. For newly constructed communities with townhomes without garages or driveways, apartments, or condos, a community-accessible electric vehicle charging station must be installed at the ratio of 1 charging station per 25 units. For newly constructed single family homes or townhomes with garages or driveways, the developer is required to install what wiring so that the homeowner can easily complete the installation of a charging unit.​

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
The bill passed!

Thanks everyone who came to testify or wrote to the Council in support. Councilwoman Jen Terrasa was very pleased with the response from the EV community. It really did make a difference.

This legislation does two things. For newly constructed communities with townhomes without garages or driveways, apartments, or condos, a community-accessible electric vehicle charging station must be installed at the ratio of 1 charging station per 25 units. For newly constructed single family homes or townhomes with garages or driveways, the developer is required to install what wiring so that the homeowner can easily complete the installation of a charging unit.​
Yay! Did I miss the prewiring part originally, or was that a later change?

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
The bill passed!

Great news! I got the email saying it passed, as well. I'm glad I could help out with my letter of support. This is a win for current and future EV owners.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC