Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please talk me off the X ledge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been lusting for a Tesla for years and exactly 12 months ago (and after convincing 2 people in the family to order S's over the years) I finally placed my order for an X. For years I have been reading both this forum and the other one over at Teslamotors on a daily basis. My brain is filled with so much of the ins, outs, goods and bads of Tesla that it can't possibly be healthy. Over the past five or so months as X's have been going into the hands of owners, I have been seeing a so many worrisome issues that make me cringe when I think about how it would play out if that were to happen with my hectic schedule.
My hope was by the time they make it to my vin #49xx most of the major issues would be resolved. I'm a little surprised that just after it seems of TM addresses one issue, another one seems to pop up (mostly recently double vision issue on windshields).
My X should go into production in the next week or two and I am seriously considering transferring my order to an S before it does.
My main concerns are the front door issues as well as FWD that refuse to open, get stuck or refuse to close (even on some recent 3/31/16 deliveries).
We have two small kids who will be in car seats in the middle row of our would be 6 seater. We drive 30,000 miles a year and would put this car through its paces immediately. In fact, my schedule is such that I would drive it to work at night (hours of my profession) and by the time I get home at sunrise and go to bed, my wife would drive the car for her daily errands, kids school runs, activities and such. If any of the doors fail during our busy schedules, or the car has to head back to the Service Center shortly after delivery it would be a major hassle on all of us.

We have had 2 Leafs since their inception and have committed to EV's and love everything about them. I want a long range EV that can haul the family and a car we can count on, on a daily basis. This is why we came to Tesla.
I know polls within these forums show 52% with no problems at all and that only accounts for the small percentage who actually report here. Sorry for my rant, but has anyone else here had any trepidations about their soon to be delivered X after seeing all of these reports?
Maybe I'm just afraid that my wife would kill me if we just spent 3x more on a car than ever before and it was anywhere as buggy as some of the owners are reporting here.

I have been lusting for a Tesla for years and exactly 12 months ago (and after convincing 2 people in the family to order S's over the years) I finally placed my order for an X. For years I have been reading both this forum and the other one over at Teslamotors on a daily basis. My brain is filled with so much of the ins, outs, goods and bads of Tesla that it can't possibly be healthy. Over the past five or so months as X's have been going into the hands of owners, I have been seeing a so many worrisome issues that make me cringe when I think about how it would play out if that were to happen with my hectic schedule.
My hope was by the time they make it to my vin #49xx most of the major issues would be resolved. I'm a little surprised that just after it seems of TM addresses one issue, another one seems to pop up (mostly recently double vision issue on windshields).
My X should go into production in the next week or two and I am seriously considering transferring my order to an S before it does.
My main concerns are the front door issues as well as FWD that refuse to open, get stuck or refuse to close (even on some recent 3/31/16 deliveries).
We have two small kids who will be in car seats in the middle row of our would be 6 seater. We drive 30,000 miles a year and would put this car through its paces immediately. In fact, my schedule is such that I would drive it to work at night (hours of my profession) and by the time I get home at sunrise and go to bed, my wife would drive the car for her daily errands, kids school runs, activities and such. If any of the doors fail during our busy schedules, or the car has to head back to the Service Center shortly after delivery it would be a major hassle on all of us.

We have had 2 Leafs since their inception and have committed to EV's and love everything about them. I want a long range EV that can haul the family and a car we can count on, on a daily basis. This is why we came to Tesla.
I know polls within these forums show 52% with no problems at all and that only accounts for the small percentage who actually report here. Sorry for my rant, but has anyone else here had any trepidations about their soon to be delivered X after seeing all of these reports?
Maybe I'm just afraid that my wife would kill me if we just spent 3x more on a car than ever before and it was anywhere as buggy as some of the owners are reporting here.
Even though some of the cars coming off the production line in January had many problems the issues seemed to have calmed down. Any time you do any type of polling you find the people with problems respond where the people without problems rarely respond. That is why I hate when people do a poll on this type of forum as the numbers are useless.

If it is critical you have a car which works every time and you don't have any time to be dealing with any issues and don't have a second car you should probably wait another 3-6 months before buying an X. It also depends on how close you are to the dealer if issues need to be resolved. For me it is about 65 miles each way. Therefore I will wait until I have several issues then take the cat in for repair. I also find you have to make your appointment early as they don't always have loaners. It sounds like between you and your wife you use the car constantly. When are you going to charge?

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ
Thanks guys...appreciate the comments!
The charging situation is no problem as I have a charger installed at the office and we won't be driving more than 70-80 miles a day as it is.

Even though some of the cars coming off the production line in January had many problems the issues seemed to have calmed down. Any time you do any type of polling you find the people with problems respond where the people without problems rarely respond. That is why I hate when people do a poll on this type of forum as the numbers are useless.

If it is critical you have a car which works every time and you don't have any time to be dealing with any issues and don't have a second car you should probably wait another 3-6 months before buying an X. It also depends on how close you are to the dealer if issues need to be resolved. For me it is about 65 miles each way. Therefore I will wait until I have several issues then take the cat in for repair. I also find you have to make your appointment early as they don't always have loaners. It sounds like between you and your wife you use the car constantly. When are you going to charge?

So I recently took delivery. A few minor problems have me going back to the service center - the falcon wing doors, proximity sensors, and some fit and finish items. Nothing major to me, but some people might have a different opinion. How do I feel about the purchase? It's a great vehicle and I'm really glad we have it. It fits a perfect space replacing our van. No, it's not as versatile. No, I can't remove or fold the seats. But it's electric, it drives great, and it's a very attractive CUV. The windshield, which I didn't care about, is awesome. The falcon wing doors.. I'm still waiting to report my feelings on those. ;)

This forum, if you spend as much time here as I do, will make you hallucinate things. It skews reality. The vehicle is wonderful. Everything's going to be fine. You can thank me later.

So I recently took delivery. A few minor problems have me going back to the service center - the falcon wing doors, proximity sensors, and some fit and finish items. Nothing major to me, but some people might have a different opinion. How do I feel about the purchase? It's a great vehicle and I'm really glad we have it. It fits a perfect space replacing our van. No, it's not as versatile. No, I can't remove or fold the seats. But it's electric, it drives great, and it's a very attractive CUV. The windshield, which I didn't care about, is awesome. The falcon wing doors.. I'm still waiting to report my feelings on those. ;)

This forum, if you spend as much time here as I do, will make you hallucinate things. It skews reality. The vehicle is wonderful. Everything's going to be fine. You can thank me later.
Thanks Ohmman! You're so right about the hallucinogenic properties of over reading on these forums. You always provide fantastic insight here. I'm curious, have you noticed any halo/ghosting from the windshield? Have a had a chance to drive it by night?

Congratulations @ohmman and I completely agree with you. As I've posted elsewhere, I took delivery in March have been thoroughly enjoying my X experience ever since.

Reactions: mikevbf
Definitely go for the X. Here the reasons why:
1. Only "iPhone on wheel" on the market
2. Only "Lamborghini style door" for 80K with lowest configuration
3. Only car so far can open the door for you and close when you leave. (if they work properly)
4. Only car with full glass view of the sky.
5. Only SUV that can cross 0-60 faster than Ferrari Enzo, and can fit 7 people.
6. You will no longer be spending money on gas, maintainance like oil change etc.
7. Only car with bio defense filter to protect you if apocalyptic event is going to happen

Bottom line is depending on your financials, if it does not matter get the X now and fix problems whenever they appear. If money is an issue I would suggest wait another 6 month to get a near perfect X. But if you do choose to get the X now, you absolutely made the right decision as Model X is by far the most fun, intelligent, future proof automobile that is existing today.

We love our X too and was totally worried about the issues many have/had. We got lucky, ours appears to be perfect. If I did it again I might wait a bit more time as that was my original intent.

Have you asked Tesla if you can defer a few months until all of this get settled and we are down to a trickle of issues?

Reactions: EV Family
I know of at least 4 people that took delivery at the beginning of the year and have had very few problems, and those are repaired. As others have said this forum is skewed in that most do not post here and especially if they do not have problems. After seeing a few up close I think it is an amazing vehicle, and cannot wait to have 2 in my garage.

Reactions: EV Family
It really depends on how you would feel if you had to have your car at the SC or issues with the car while deciding when to bring it to the SC.
You may not have any issues.
If you have issues the SC will fix it, probably on the first attempt. Some people have had "very few problems, and those are repaired" - but they are problems that required time at the SC.
Since you are putting the car through some serious paces and driving 30k a year, only you know how you will feel if you are spending more time at the SC than you would like.

Reactions: madodel
I would say: ignore the nit-issues in your decision. Bottom line: if the X gives you the space you want, get the X.
6 seater is a very wise choice. That was our choice.
Even at 3.5 years, our twins immediately decided the FWD are just plain cool, and there are no complaints or whines or resistance when driving them when I pull out the X.
Otherwise, the S is a safer (and more efficient) choice.

We have had our own technical issues with the car, but none that make it un-drivable.

If what keeps you at bay is technical issues (that includes stuff like "summon") , and not price, I would say avoid unnecessary "packages" (add a wire, add a luxury feature like "summon" or auto-presenting doors, add a light, that's yet-another-thing-that-can-break-or-doesn't work... doesn't matter what manufacturer we're talking about).

Reactions: madodel
I start
If what keeps you at bay is technical issues (that includes stuff like "summon") , and not price, I would say avoid unnecessary "packages" (add a wire, add a luxury feature like "summon" or auto-presenting doors, add a light, that's yet-another-thing-that-can-break-or-doesn't work... doesn't matter what manufacturer we're talking about).

I have to respectfully disagree. The things that made Model X so unique are the things that cause the most problems. That is the reason why we get the X at least for me (auto presenting door, bio filter, summon, auto pilot etc). If you skip those upgrades, your X is no different than any other EV with exception of the FWD. let's assume you did skip those awesome but problematic upgrades, you might still encounter issues with fit and finish, FWD since its standard on every X. So bottom line is to get all the cool options and enjoy this revolutionary car.

• Funny
Reactions: pvogel and ModelX
Thanks Ohmman! You're so right about the hallucinogenic properties of over reading on these forums. You always provide fantastic insight here. I'm curious, have you noticed any halo/ghosting from the windshield? Have a had a chance to drive it by night?

So I guess the ghosting windshield issue is really caused by the hallucinogenic properties of reading this forum. ;-)