Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please tell me what is happening :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
I recently downloaded my 2017 tax program. Yay.

During the installation process, I received notification that my software provider was adding/installing/whatever the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) 12.0.40649

What is this? Why am I receiving this? Does this make my computer more susceptible to unwanted intrusions from evil-doers? Will I have numerous and interminable "updates" and "patches" and other annoying delays that I must address on a weekly basis?

And then, the instructions for the new and improved fixes to prior years' software mentions the status tray. I know what a relish tray is, and I know what a TV tray is, but have no flipping idea what a status tray is.

Anyway, thank you to any and all who try to make things easy so that a child of 4 can understand. Maybe first we should find a child of 4. (To paraphrase Groucho.)

I recently downloaded my 2017 tax program. Yay.

During the installation process, I received notification that my software provider was adding/installing/whatever the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) 12.0.40649

What is this? Why am I receiving this? Does this make my computer more susceptible to unwanted intrusions from evil-doers? Will I have numerous and interminable "updates" and "patches" and other annoying delays that I must address on a weekly basis?

And then, the instructions for the new and improved fixes to prior years' software mentions the status tray. I know what a relish tray is, and I know what a TV tray is, but have no flipping idea what a status tray is.

Anyway, thank you to any and all who try to make things easy so that a child of 4 can understand. Maybe first we should find a child of 4. (To paraphrase Groucho.)
This is normal and safe.
Your tax program uses code that is in the common package, so if the package is not already on your computer it gets a fresh copy from Microsoft.

Yes, it's normal - that must be the first piece of software you've installed that was compiled using Visual Studio 2013.

Where I work we're still using Visual Studio 2012, we only change the compiler when we bump up to the next major release. We're currently selling Ver 15 Rev C, if we do a Ver 15 Rev D it'll still be built with 2012. When we start on V16 we'll set up new machines with the latest Visual Studio on it, our current machines will be used to maintain V15 (which will no longer get new features, just bug fixes).

@ShockOnT and @SpiceWare are spot on. It's just a C++ library redistribution package.

As to the status tray, it's the thing in your [typically] lower right corner, looks like this (don't mind the circled thing, I just googles for the first image)
TrayStatus-by-default.png

Thank you all. Your reassurances are helpful. (I just have this aversion to Mr. Gates and his band of merry men and women.)

Since SpiceWare indicated that his computers still receive bug fixes on an older version, I guess that I will be consigned to receiving those vexing "Important Issues for your Computer" messages that appear out of the blue and force me to download and install whilst I pour myself a stiff drink or two.

Max, that status tray hides on my machine--thank you for the head's up. I poked around with the mouse arrow and found it.

Have seriously and half in jest, how does one become familiar with all the terminology and things like this? Is it taught in school? Is it something that is so patently obvious that there is no need for definition?

Cheers to you all!:)

I was referring to the software we sell, when we come out with V16 then V15 is put into "support mode" which means we'll make updates to fix bugs, not not to add new features. At that time V14 would become a legacy product that's no longer supported.

Thank you all. Your reassurances are helpful. (I just have this aversion to Mr. Gates and his band of merry men and women.)

Since SpiceWare indicated that his computers still receive bug fixes on an older version, I guess that I will be consigned to receiving those vexing "Important Issues for your Computer" messages that appear out of the blue and force me to download and install whilst I pour myself a stiff drink or two.

Max, that status tray hides on my machine--thank you for the head's up. I poked around with the mouse arrow and found it.

Have seriously and half in jest, how does one become familiar with all the terminology and things like this? Is it taught in school? Is it something that is so patently obvious that there is no need for definition?

Cheers to you all!:)
You can do courses, I’m pretty sure many night-school type places offer such courses.
Don’t pay for a private course though, they charge thousands and not worth it. Just a local municipal course is plenty.
Also just poking around and using google is almost as good.