Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please tell your insurance company no Auto-glass!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I posted the other day someone was nice enough to put in the back door window of my Model S. I'm mildly annoyed by that but really annoyed by Autoglass so here is my warning.

My current insurance company like my last one has outsourced their broken glass claims to Autoglass, £90 excess for me but everything taken car off.

I called when the window got broken and got told I could have aftermarket glass "probably Tuesday" or factory glass "probably Thursday". Since all the windows are logo'd as Tesla I said I'd wait 2 days more and get factory glass. They tell me to call make Monday to confirm authorization for the factory glass.

Monday: Call Autoglass, No authorization
Tuesday: Call Autoglass, No authorization, call insurance no record of contact from Autoglass, they call Autoglass and authorize
Wednesday: Call Autoglass, No authorization, get them to conference in insurance who tell them they authorized yesterday but authorized again
Thursday: Call Autoglass, Authorized, no eta on when they can get factory glass. Call insurance and ask if I can get it done at dealer, insurance says they'll pay £50 towards it but that is it
Friday: Call Autoglass, no eta. Call Tesla and ask about getting glass, they can have it to any service center in two days to pick up, Call Auto-glass, oh no, we can't do that.

So now I'm waiting on a quote and timescale from a service centre to get new glass and install it and I'll just have to pay.

Fortunately I have a garage at home and secure car park at work, today is the first day it has rained with the taped up window. If I didn't I'm not sure what I'd be expected to do for security and dryness.

It seems like Autoglass has a lock with the insurance companies that prevent them fixing glass even when Autoglass can't get the glass in.

Next time I shop for insurance I'm going to ask if glass claims have to be Autoglass, and if so shop elsewhere.

Consider yourselves warned :)

Same. I'm still waiting for autoglass to tell me when they can get any stock in, despite tesla saying "they get their glass from us, and we know we have loads of stock ready"

So I got Tesla to do it all in the end. I'll let you know when Autoglass tell me they have stock.

You do not have to use Autoglass, same as you can choose original glass by manufacture if car is less than 3 yr old I think.

I don't think I would let Autoglass touch my car if it was a door window, in the past they seemed ok for screens, never had any other glass replaced so far.

I filed a complaint with the insurance company last night. This morning I received a call from Autoglass at 10am offering to put crash wrap or perspex in as a temporary measure but no more secure than my plastic cardboard construction but get this.....

...at 2pm they called up to schedule the installation Monday morning. I'll let you know if they make the appointment.