Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please vote for a DC charging infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

This is a great initiative that @Techno-phile posted on another thread. As a bit of history, the West Australian government commissioned a report asking for the cost and effectiveness of a DC charging infrastructure in Western Australia 2 years ago. The REVS team at UWA handed over that report in December 2018. Despite a DC charging infrastructure of 138 fast charging stations at 61 sites costing less than 24 million dollars, no action has been taken.

Currently this initiative is leading the voting but if we have any chance of getting the government to listen we need to hammer home the message.

If you click on the below link you can vote on Lindsay's idea but please also leave a comment. I would especially like to hear from interstate EV owners that avoid travelling to WA due to the lack of charging infrastructure.
Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure - iThink (WA Public Sector)

Reactions: Techno-phile
At some point governments in australia will realise that fossil cars are no longer available, and its about then that significant sums will be spent on infrastructure. Until then is either head in sand or token efforts.
Governments are voted for by the populace. So blame the people & their wilful ignorance & short term self interest
Too often I hear “the people were misled by government”. You can only be misled if you are mentally lazy

Reactions: Greg Liz
Will be voting soon in the Eden-Monaro by-election, if there ever was an area that needed some TLC after the drought/bushfire/floods/covid19 quadruple whammy this is it. I haven't looked closely yet at each party's EV charging policies but hope to find some difference.
As electorates go, Eden-Monaro is pretty OK for DC chargers.

QBN has the Supercharger at Majura Park, the 50kW at Civic and the 25kW at Fyshwick. Not QBN but close enough. Two of them are spitting distance from the border.

Yass is getting an NRMA 50kW shortly.

Bateman’s Bay has NRMA 50kW and Dan Murphy’s 50kW

Narooma has a supercharger.

Bega and Jindabyne have NRMA.

Cooma has the supercharger and hopefully Chargefox soon. Trips across the Snowy Mountains Highway can end at Gundagai supercharger/chargefox or Tarcutta Evie.

I’m not sure whether to bother asking questions about charging closer to other destinations like Pheasants Nest, so I can charge as I approach Sydney without detouring into Mittagong or Picton (or worse, the CBD). But again, that coverage isn’t too bad.

As electorates go, Eden-Monaro is pretty OK for DC chargers.
I was thinking more of more smaller towns getting some charging capabilities. Not too fast, so that people on their weekend / holiday drive stop and have time to wander and hopefully spend some money.
Also as more people arrive in EVs the single charger sites are going to quickly get overwhelmed during busy periods.

There are several projects underway to arrange for DC chargers to be installed on Main Roads outside Perth as below, but if we want the State to contribute, we should not let them forget the result of their Ithink voting.
The idea to implement their own report received over 3 times as many votes as the 2nd idea and about the same as the total of 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th ideas.
Here is a list of all contact details for our MLCs and MLAs in a collaborative google spreadsheet Ithink Campaign, in case anybody wants to offer their local ones (and the opposition candidates) a demo drive and chat about how good these DC chargers would be for tourism and health in WA, with most of the money being spent with State agencies.
If you enter your name against which candidate you have contacted (under campaigner column), we can follow up any who have been missed.

Projects for DC chargers on Main Roads outside Perth

Reactions: Hairyman