Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plenty of room for more EV's on the road - VW to officially launch ID.3 this evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really looking forward to a true mass market family EV.
A Golf equivalent will be a tipping point towards real mass market adoption.
I've had an Audi A4 and BMW 325 and my VW Golf was still a really good car.
It's not fair to compare my TM3 - the happy tubby kids in class should not be teased.

I hope the ID.3 has vehicle 2 grid built in to stabilise the evening peak load that blacked out a big chunk of the grid this summer.

I also hope they realise having a full stop in a name is going to break half the insurance and vehicle databases !!

I'm really excited to see what VW offer.

It's the only company that seems to be considering the tech-forward approach that I love Tesla for. Software updates for the long-term, etc.

Obviously we're delighted with our TM3 but it's great to see more choice entering the market. I think this could be a very popular car if they make enough of them!

I really struggle with the ID3... it loooks a little boring... but I also struggle with the Mini electric because of its poor range.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love there to be something comparable in the market at the price ranges that’s exciting but I’m yet to see it.

Can’t wait to see them on the street!

<...checks country of residence...>

Oh wait, never mind.

Honestly, such an odd decision to write off the USA. To give a blanket reason like "Americans don't like hatchbacks" feels ulterior. I'm guessing they don't yet have the battery manufacturing capacity to support a US rollout this year.

Sure, Americans in general may buy fewer hatchbacks, but EV buyers aren't typical car buyers. Look at the success of the Nissan Leaf here.

More info here:

VW ID.3 debuts as people's electric car with up to 342-mile range

Looks nice:

volkswagen-id-3-2019.jpg

Just seen it with the specs... I’d suggest Tesla might be in for a bit of trouble. If they can mass produce a car with that range quickly it’s going to be disruptive.
Yes, I agree. Looks a serious competitor. Question will be whether the production volumes will match demand. Already the Hyundai, Kia and Nissan EVs are on long lead times (as of course are Tesla).

I wonder if it will take a tow-bar ;)

It is indeed a serious competitor... To the VW Golf. That's the point made very well in the VW presentation. Wisely, they didn't cross-compare with other EVs. Note that the quoted ranges are WLTP so we'll need to wait for actual tests. Driving dynamics are also an open question.

The Model 3 is also a larger and higher performance vehicle with superior charging infrastructure. And in my opinion looks nicer and has some other things which appeal to me like the glass roof, very large screen and minimalistic interior. The VW ID.3 is more like a superior Golf, which isn't a bad thing. It'll sell very well I have no doubt, but there's a massive ICE market to displace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster6655
It is indeed a serious competitor... To the VW Golf. That's the point made very well in the VW presentation. Wisely, they didn't cross-compare with other EVs. Note that the quoted ranges are WLTP so we'll need to wait for actual tests. Driving dynamics are also an open question.

The Model 3 is also a larger and higher performance vehicle with superior charging infrastructure. And in my opinion looks nicer and has some other things which appeal to me like the glass roof, very large screen and minimalistic interior. The VW ID.3 is more like a superior Golf, which isn't a bad thing. It'll sell very well I have no doubt, but there's a massive ICE market to displace.
I agree that the target market is a little different to the Model 3. However, I think for people who definitely want to get into an EV now, the market falls into two, only-slightly-overlapping, segments:

- Cheap and/or small EVs like the Leaf, Kona, eNiro, i3
- Big and/or expensive beasts like the Model S & X, eTron, iPace, EQC etc

The Model 3 is sort of in the middle, but perhaps a little closer to the big and expensive group. I think a number of Model 3 buyers are stretching themselves into a £40k/£50k car and probably would be happier with something smaller and cheaper. A Golf-sized car is pretty close to a car that will suit almost all family needs. So, I think it will offer competition to the Model 3 - albeit that they are not obvious look-alikes.

I think Tesla's supercharger network will remain an advantage until the mess that is the public charging infrastructure is sorted out (or some cartel of manufacturers do what Tesla did).

Reactions: EVMeister
I think Tesla's supercharger network will remain an advantage until the mess that is the public charging infrastructure is sorted out (or some cartel of manufacturers do what Tesla did).

Although it would likely remain an advantage, as Teslas can use both the Supercharger network and the others. I suppose things just have to be "good enough" for people to easily juice up. Having used the current fast charger network (including AC, CHAdeMO and CCS) in the UK on various EVs, there's a heck of a lot of catching up to do to come anywhere close to the Supercharger network.

Will also be interesting to see how Tesla plans to expand their network in the UK with the Model 3 becoming more popular and then the Model Y coming to market.