Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plot energy usage against speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anybody point me to some stats -- preferably a chart -- on how speed affects power usage?

Most threads I've seen tend to look at range, weather, fan speed, etc., but I'm more interested in, e.g., how much more electricity I consume at 80 or 90 MPH compared to 60 or 70.

Both my cars (M3 and MY) like to go fast, conditions permitting, and I charge from my roof, so the issue is curiosity, not expense.

You can play with ABetterRoutePlanner's advanced settings and see how that would affect various trips you could plan. That would give you an idea.

You could register for TeslaFi or other such data aggregators and after a while you would get that information. If you live in a place where it gets cold I would suggest generating the graphic using only one summer's worth of data so temperature doesn't influence the results in a bad way.

This table shows the potential range based on speed and is mostly what you're asking for: Teslike.com

Upvote 0
Teslafi collects this data and graphs it. (I have no idea why I have an efficiency spike at 70-75, I wonder if it collected a some bad data points.)

speed_efficiency.png

Upvote 0
If you drive in areas with enough temperature variation, this graph will be affected. Mine doesn't make sense because I might have some speed slices that I've only driven in the cold and other in warm climates. I suggested filtering the data used for the graph to only include a time period where you know temperature stayed stable, like only one summer for example.

EDIT: Many of your bars don't have a lot of data, just 150-300 miles. You might have done one trip that was very windy or that had a lot more elevation than the others and that bar will be skewed.

Upvote 0
If you want to figure it out yourself using your data, you could do a couple of runs on the highway with the Energy graph open. Then compare the faster runs to the slower. You'd probably have to take a picture of the graphs after each run, as the data isn't stored or sent anywhere (other than third-party apps harvesting it, if you have one). That way, you could ensure that the conditions are the same for each run.

Upvote 0
Many of your bars don't have a lot of data, just 150-300 miles. You might have done one trip that was very windy or that had a lot more elevation than the others and that bar will be skewed.
I found the issue. It's one specific drive over Thanksgiving last year where connectivity with the car was poor. The battery level drops steadily, then the car loses connectivity with Teslifi for 90 mins, and when connectivity is restored, the battery level is higher than the last reading. I guess it missed a charging stop. It seems to think I drove with 142% efficiency over 185 miles.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
Can anybody point me to some stats -- preferably a chart -- on how speed affects power usage?

Most threads I've seen tend to look at range, weather, fan speed, etc., but I'm more interested in, e.g., how much more electricity I consume at 80 or 90 MPH compared to 60 or 70.

Both my cars (M3 and MY) like to go fast, conditions permitting, and I charge from my roof, so the issue is curiosity, not expense.
Thanks, everybody, for some timely replies.

Temperature variance isn't much of an issue here in the Bay Area, but the graphs seem to tell me to go 70 rather than 90 when there's no traffic on the bridge. The car wants to go faster than I do.

Upvote 0
70-90 mph efficiency (consumption), on my LR AWD I get:

70 mph - No idea, I don't cruise that slow ;)
75 mph - 3.2 - 3.3 mi/kWh (300 - 313 Wh/mi)
80 mph - 2.9 - 3.0 mi/kWh (333 - 344 Wh/mi)
85 mph - 2.5 - 2.6 mi/kWh (385 - 400 Wh/mi)
90 mph - I only burst for short periods at this speed, so I don't have an accurate figure

80 mph is the sweet spot for me, cruising around the Bay Area. I can get ~215 mi real-world range which is great (assuming roughly 70 kWh usable)

Upvote 0
70-90 mph efficiency (consumption), on my LR AWD I get:

70 mph - No idea, I don't cruise that slow ;)
75 mph - 3.2 - 3.3 mi/kWh (300 - 313 Wh/mi)
80 mph - 2.9 - 3.0 mi/kWh (333 - 344 Wh/mi)
85 mph - 2.5 - 2.6 mi/kWh (385 - 400 Wh/mi)
90 mph - I only burst for short periods at this speed, so I don't have an accurate figure

80 mph is the sweet spot for me, cruising around the Bay Area. I can get ~215 mi real-world range which is great (assuming roughly 70 kWh usable)
I cant find my post from last year, but thats roughly what I got, too.

Anecdotal story. A couple weeks ago I drove 235mi doing about 75 the whole way and went from 100 to 10% charge. Same thing coming back.

Reactions: AlexHung
Upvote 0
Reckless driving isn't smart. In Virginia driving more than 20 MPH over the speed limit is considered reckless driving. You can lose your driver's license, even potentially be sentenced to jail time.

Some years back a young coworker was stopped by VHP after being clocked going 85 MPH in a 55 zone on I-66. They hired a private attorney (costing thousands of $) and also proactively attended traffic school. The judge, known as the hanging judge of Fairfax County, VA traffic court revoked their driver's license for a year and also gave them a jail sentence, suspended.

Upvote 0
Reckless driving isn't smart. In Virginia driving more than 20 MPH over the speed limit is considered reckless driving. You can lose your driver's license, even potentially be sentenced to jail time.

Some years back a young coworker was stopped by VHP after being clocked going 85 MPH in a 55 zone on I-66. They hired a private attorney (costing thousands of $) and also proactively attended traffic school. The judge, known as the hanging judge of Fairfax County, VA traffic court revoked their driver's license for a year and also gave them a jail sentence, suspended.
Sorry mom.

• Funny
Reactions: Bassmanbrett
Upvote 0
Sorry mom.
Nah man, I got hit with it 3xs over the years. Lawyers got me out of all of them, but ... you're still paying someone $1000s.

Last time I got caught I was more than doubling the limit and I didn't have an attorney. Judge gave me a continuance and actually made me sign a paper (no one else had to do this... I watched a bunch of cases before me). The paper stated I knew I was likely to go to jail if convicted. on court day I gave a friend my spare set of keys and parked in a safe spot. I got lucky the cop couldn't positively ID me.

All I'm saying is it's not worth it. I've had 10xs more fun at Summit Point and VIR. A full weekend at the track is cheaper than a lawyer and you can go as fast as you can handle.

Upvote 0
Moral of the story: when speeding in Virginia, you might as well floor it.

Nah man, I got hit with it 3xs over the years. Lawyers got me out of all of them, but ... you're still paying someone $1000s.
This is where it pays off to have a brother who's an attorney!

Btw, I meant to comment in another thread we were posting in. Your profile pic is badass.

Upvote 0