Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ploughing Snow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies. I also thought petrol froze easier than diesel. I didn't realise I was wrong

No need to apologise at all :)
Diesel can start getting "waxy" even above 0C. The suppliers will change to a different winter formulation to help prevent this from happening.
Petrol can also start to separate out but it takes significantly lower temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
I remember having frameless doors/windows on my BMW M3 convertible. In the winter they can freeze in the up position so be very careful closing a door that opens with the window still in the up position.
I suspect the door will still open for safety reasons but will damage the trim and possible break the window if the door is closed without lowering first.
Also remember snow building up on the headlamps even when switched on. Hopefully the streamlined shape on the M3 will stop that happening.

It's getting cold in the North, winter is coming and all that.. This'll be my first winter with the Model 3 and also the first time with frameless doors.

Naively, I'm hoping to just precondition the car for 30 minutes and walk out to find all the snow gone, job done, but I suspect it won't be that easy.

What are your top tips for clearing snow from the car and preparing for a drive?

Preheating is most of the answer. I found that with a thick blanket of snow it will not necessarily be possible to melt it but there will be a thin layer of melt water underneath so it's very easy and quick to slide it off.

Ouch.
That was painful watching both video's of Daft Dave attempting to burn out his wiper motors and throwing the charge plug into snow.
Not too sure about the connection to the extension lead either although the domestic 120v supply tends to be very forgiving regarding tracking in wet circumstances.
I wonder if the heat pump system has kept the heater matrix from the earlier Model 3 as they can lose a lot of efficiency as the temperature drops below zero C.

I also hadn't realised that the Y was sold as an SR+ as 180 miles is exactly the same as on mine for that percentage of charge.