Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a model Y (woo hoo!). I'm planning to charge with my unused dryer outlet. Does anyone know what adapter I need to purchase in order to be compatible with the outlet pictured below?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0434.jpg

Hi @stevetothink, this seems to be your first post. Welcome !!!

I would also recommend to find a way to hold the UMC charger using a bracket, a small shelf, or a bicycle water bottle holder...

The issue is the weight of the UMC after some time might pull out a little bit the plug which would not get a good contact anymore.

After awhile, one pin might start to overheat and might create a meltdown of the wires inside the wall with a risk of creating a short.

tesla-umc-bracket-jpg.595215

I cannot find this bracket anymore, it was sold on e-Bay by the user swim-and-dive.

I found the following simpler model Tesla UMC Charging Station Wall Mount Bracket on eBay from user i3dshop.

s-l500.png

You might also consider using a holder for the car plug.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: stevetothink
Outlets in Tile can be difficult. It appears to be a wood screw on top. And who knows what style of old box is in the wall.

@stevetothink remember this will pull current far longer than a dryer would. Getting an electrician to “upgrade” the box and plug to NEMA 10-30 might be safer.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Outlets in Tile can be difficult. It appears to be a wood screw on top. And who knows what style of old box is in the wall.

@stevetothink remember this will pull current far longer than a dryer would. Getting an electrician to “upgrade” the box and plug to NEMA 10-30 might be safer.

I'd recommend upgrading to a NEMA 14-30 so it's grounded. 10 series is ungrounded.

Reactions: Thp3
Thanks for all the replies. In addition to using the dryer outlet, I'd also have to run a Nema 10-30 extension cable into the garage. I'm thinking that maybe I should just have an electrician run a 14-50 straight to the garage. Is that what ya'll would recommend?

Thanks for all the replies. In addition to using the dryer outlet, I'd also have to run a Nema 10-30 extension cable into the garage. I'm thinking that maybe I should just have an electrician run a 14-50 straight to the garage. Is that what ya'll would recommend?
If you want to use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter (this combination can charge at 240V and 32 amps) or a 3rd party EVSE that has a NEMA 14-50 plug then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle would enable you to unplug as needed to change or replace the Mobile Connector. If charging in the shortest possible time is important to you then you would want to look into the Tesla Wall Connector. The Wall Connector does not use a plug, instead it is hard wired. The Wall Connector can charge at up to 48 amps when connected to a 60 amp cicuit. (In comparison, the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is only rated for a maximum of 50 amps, 40 amps maximum when charging an EV.) The Wall Connector and charging at 48 amps would charge approximately 30% faster than the Mobile Connector and charging at 32 amps. In between would be the corded Mobile Connector (fixed NEMA 14-50 plug) that would enable charging at 40 amps (approximately 20% faster that when charging at 32 amps.)

Last edited:
If you want to use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter (this combination can charge at 240V and 32 amps) or a 3rd party EVSE that has a NEMA 14-50 plug then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle would enable you to unplug as needed to change or replace the Mobile Connector. If charging in the shortest possible time is important to you then you would want to look into the Tesla Wall Connector. The Wall Connector does not use a plug, instead it is hard wired. The Wall Connector can charge at up to 48 amps when connected to a 60 amp cicuit. (In comparison, the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is only rated for a maximum of 50 amps, 40 amps maximum when charging an EV.)
Thanks. So is it really just a matter of preference (and additional cost for the Tesla Wall Connector)? This is the first electric car I will own so I'm not sure how I will feel about using the mobile connector 100% of the time vs getting the Wall Connector installed. Any recommendations based on experience?

If you want to use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter (this combination can charge at 240V and 32 amps) or a 3rd party EVSE that has a NEMA 14-50 plug then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle would enable you to unplug as needed to change or replace the Mobile Connector. If charging in the shortest possible time is important to you then you would want to look into the Tesla Wall Connector. The Wall Connector does not use a plug, instead it is hard wired. The Wall Connector can charge at up to 48 amps when connected to a 60 amp cicuit. (In comparison, the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is only rated for a maximum of 50 amps, 40 amps maximum when charging an EV.)
Does a wall connector for 1 Tesla really make sense for $500? Max charging at 48 amps doesn’t do any good for a Tesla that can only pull 32 amps. If someday you own 2 Teslas with 2 wall connectors “talking” to each other or to future proof then maybe it’s a good idea.
Charging at 30 amps (pulling 24) should be just fine. But going to a newer 4 wire setup (14-30) vs. the older 3 wire (10-30) to have a ground with an EV does sound like a smart choice. And in that case if you have to rewire anyway might as well install a new 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet that can allow a 40 amp load & max charge (32 amps) and also a bit of future proofing.

Does a wall connector for 1 Tesla really make sense for $500? Max charging at 48 amps doesn’t do any good for a Tesla that can only pull 32 amps. If someday you own 2 Teslas with 2 wall connectors “talking” to each other or to future proof then maybe it’s a good idea.
Charging at 30 amps (pulling 24) should be just fine. But going to a newer 4 wire setup (14-30) vs. the older 3 wire (10-30) to have a ground with an EV does sound like a smart choice. And in that case if you have to rewire anyway might as well install a new 50 amp breaker and a 14-50 outlet that can allow a 40 amp load & max charge (32 amps) and also a bit of future proofing.
The 2021 Long Range Dual Motor Model Y and 2021 Performance Model Y can charge at Level 2 (240V) and up to 48 amps. Currently the only Tesla vehicles that are limited to charging at 32 amps are the 2021 Standard Range Plus Model 3 and the 2021 Standard Range Model Y. Is it worth $500 to be able to charge 30% faster than using the Mobile Connector @32 amps? That would depend on the daily charging requirement, any off-peak charging time window that would limit the hours available to charge at the lower cost.

The Wall Connector costs $500. The wiring for the Wall Connector will be a little less costly since the Wall Connector only requires 2 wires not 3 wires, plus ground. The Wall Connector is designed for use in all weather conditions, not an issue when installed in a garage. Some would prefer the hard wired installation of the Wall Connector.

The 2021 Long Range Dual Motor Model Y and 2021 Performance Model Y can charge at Level 2 (240V) and up to 48 amps. Currently the only Tesla vehicles that are limited to charging at 32 amps are the 2021 Standard Range Plus Model 3 and the 2021 Standard Range Model Y. Is it worth $500 to be able to charge 30% faster than using the Mobile Connector @32 amps? That would depend on the daily charging requirement, any off-peak charging time window that would limit the hours available to charge at the lower cost.

The Wall Connector costs $500. The wiring for the Wall Connector will be a little less costly since the Wall Connector only requires 2 wires not 3 wires, plus ground. The Wall Connector is designed for use in all weather conditions, not an issue when installed in a garage. Some would prefer the hard wired installation of the Wall Connector.
That makes sense. And thank you for informing me of the fact the 2021 Model Y LR and performance can charger at 48 amps.

Thanks. So is it really just a matter of preference (and additional cost for the Tesla Wall Connector)? This is the first electric car I will own so I'm not sure how I will feel about using the mobile connector 100% of the time vs getting the Wall Connector installed. Any recommendations based on experience?
Yes, preference and your need or desire charge as quickly as possible. I had an electrician install a 14-50 receptacle in my garage in 2016. I initially used the 14-50 to charge a different vehicle. When I purchased my Tesla Model Y I was able to continue using the 14-50 receptacle. I did upgrade the EVSE (the equivalent of the Tesla Mobile Connector) from one that only supported 16 amps to one capable of supporting 32 amps. I use the provided Tesla J1772 adapter to charge my Tesla with this 32 amp EVSE. (The reason I don't use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter is that the charging cord, 18 ft in length, is too short for my needs. The 32 amp capable EVSE I purchased has a 25 ft charging cord.

In the future I can easily replace the current EVSE if it stops working or if I decide I want to use an EVSE that supports charging at 40 amps (the maximum amperage for this or any 50 amp circuit when charging an EV.) If Tesla ever offers a Mobile Connector or corded Mobile Connector with a fixed 14-50 plug that also has a 24 or 25 ft. charging cord I might decide to replace my current home charging setup. All I would need to is turn off the power at the panel, unplug the existing 32 amp EVSE and plug in the Tesla Mobile Connector. One reason to do this would be so that I would not need to use the J1772 adapter. I would not need to hire an electrician to change the EVSE. Most 14-50 receptacles are not designed for frequent plugging and unplugging but you can certainly unplug the Mobile Connector or EVSE from the 14-50 receptacle to replace this equipment.

Last edited:
Yes, preference and your need or desire charge as quickly as possible. I had an electrician install a 14-50 receptacle in my garage in 2016. I initially used the 14-50 to charge a different vehicle. When I purchased my Tesla Model Y I was able to continue using the 14-50 receptacle. I did upgrade the EVSE (the equivalent of the Tesla Mobile Connector) from one that only supported 16 amps to one capable of supporting 32 amps. I use the provided Tesla J1772 adapter to charge my Tesla with this 32 amp EVSE. (The reason I don't use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter is that the charging cord, 18 ft in length, is too short for my needs. The 32 amp capable EVSE I purchased has a 25 ft charging cord.

In the future I can easily replace the current EVSE if it stops working or if I decide I want to use an EVSE that supports charging at 40 amps (the maximum amperage for this or any 50 amp circuit when charging an EV.) If Tesla ever offers a Mobile Connector or corded Mobile Connector with a fixed 14-50 plug that also has a 24 or 25 ft. charging cord I might decide to replace my current home charging setup. All I would need to is turn off the power at the panel, unplug the existing 32 amp EVSE and plug in the Tesla Mobile Connector. One reason to do this would be so that I would not need to use the J1772 adapter. I would not need to hire an electrician to change the EVSE. Most 14-50 receptacles are not designed for frequent plugging and unplugging but you can certainly unplug the Mobile Connector or EVSE from the 14-50 receptacle to replace this equipment.
Is 24ft long enough? If so, you can get a Gen2 HPWC and set to 50A to enable 40A charging. It should mount directly to the box your 14-50 is mounted in.

Thank you. Yes, a 24 ft charging cord would work for charging my Model Y in my garage. I did not want to purchase a Gen2 HPWC since this product has been discontinued by Tesla.
Why? It still works, better than the Gen3. Just because they stopped selling it doesn’t mean it’s bad. If that’s the case then anyone with a 2020 Y needs to trash it because Tesla discontinued it for the 2021...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jcanoe
Why? It still works, better than the Gen3. Just because they stopped selling it doesn’t mean it’s bad. If that’s the case then anyone with a 2020 Y needs to trash it because Tesla discontinued it for the 2021...
I also passed on the opportunity to purchase the short-lived corded Tesla Wall Connector when it was briefly available. I did not expect Tesla to start building/shipping the Model Y in early 2020 as happened. I expected to be taking delivery of my Model Y now instead of last June. Perhaps Tesla will someday offer an updated version of the corded Wall Connector or a corded Mobile Connector with a longer charging cord. I would be ok with a 32 amp maximum charging rate as long as the charging cord was at least 24 ft in length.