Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug and 100Amp line sticker shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Nissan dealership in Katy, TX has one ... that makes it 170 miles, instead of 200. But it is a pretty barren drive, charger-wise.

Time to gather up your fellow EV drivers and convince a restaurant around the halfway point to put in a charger. Offer to pay for the charger if they pay for the installation - and show them how they can list on Recargo and other sites.

The Nissan dealership in Katy, TX has one ... that makes it 170 miles, instead of 200. But it is a pretty barren drive, charger-wise.

Also check GM and Mistu sellers.

Another one to try is Google. It often pops up with a hotel or restaurant that has installed a plug, has it on their website but never updated any apps.

BTW it should be law that installers update some app anytime they install a public charge point. Crazy enough that Clipper Creek, Blink and Charge point don't do it every install.

Time to gather up your fellow EV drivers and convince a restaurant around the halfway point to put in a charger. Offer to pay for the charger if they pay for the installation - and show them how they can list on Recargo and other sites.

Good idea. I used all of the charge finder apps I knew of. While there are a few of them at Nissan dealerships, when I called, they all weren't willing to share with a non Leaf. Some also block access to their chargers after business. Anyway, the RV parks offer faster charging anyway.

I'm hoping Tesla addresses this problem with their Supercharger stations that also hopefully have 80A level 2 chargers as well.

I just planned my necessary electrical work at home, working with the co-op. They have to replace the transformer serving my home (currently 15 kVA, although I guarantee I'm drawing far more -- their computer says the design is at about 197% of rated capacity on that transformer!?), the wiring and conduit from transformer to home, and replace the 200A meter base with a 320A base. Existing entrances to the house and machine shop will remain the same, we'll pull an additional run into the house from additional meter lugs, terminate it in a 100A disconnect at MPOE, then run over to the attached garage where a subpanel will exist for the HPC, along with a 14-50 outlet for other needs (in case I need to drag my welder to that garage).

It also helps maintain my plans for a generator set, my plans are to isolate the garage charging circuits from the genset. If I *must* charge in a multi-day power outage, I can always plug the car into a 110V outlet when operating on generator, as I don't plan on installing a huge generator plant.

I recognize the 14-50 would likely be sufficient for overnight charging, but prefer the HPC because there are plenty of times where I return from a flight (I'm 130 mi. round trip from the airport) and need to go medium distances later the same day -- not to mention the beauty and convenience of the connector.

The 6/3 & 18/2 custom EVSE cabling alone is about $9/foot (cable is ~20 feet long), then there is the custom Tesla connector, and the other end with the interchangeable plugs, then 14-50 adapter, the 120V adapter, the electronics box, and don 't forget the retail markup. $750 is actually reasonable, if that's what the number is. Checkout some of the standard L1 120V portable J-1772 EVSEs at Lowes and Home Depot, $800-$900 is the norm for a much less capable EVSE

I have no idea what that means or what to do with it.
and you guys are probably right...but I'm just itching for that HPC as my 'main' charger and to keep the UMC as my backup/keep in car. I'm not saying it's logical, smart or necessary...but neither is the leather interior, Tech package or the upgraded stereo!

I have decided to get the HPC and run a 50 amp line to it. Will get a single charger for the car since a 50 amp line will not charge the car any quicker with twin chargers than a single charger.
Since I'm retired and don't do that much daily driving, this should work fine for me.
It also lets me keep the standard connector cable always in my Frunk for whenever I might need it on the road.
We also have a second ICE car for whenever we want to take longer drives than I'm comfortable taking with the S, for now.
And of course most importantly, the HPC just looks cool! ;-)

I have decided to get the HPC and run a 50 amp line to it. Will get a single charger for the car since a 50 amp line will not charge the car any quicker with twin chargers than a single charger.
Since I'm retired and don't do that much daily driving, this should work fine for me.
It also lets me keep the standard connector cable always in my Frunk for whenever I might need it on the road.
We also have a second ICE car for whenever we want to take longer drives than I'm comfortable taking with the S, for now.
And of course most importantly, the HPC just looks cool! ;-)
Much similar to my logic as well. I want that 100amp twin charger option "just in case", but that's likely going to be very rare/infrequent.

My electric panel box is in the garage. It's about 8 feet away from where I want my outlet. Here's my parts list for a NEMA 14-50 installation:
- 50A Cutler Hammer breaker $12
- 50A Outlet $10
- 15 ft of 6-3 cable including ground ($2.61 / ft) $39
- Outlet box $4
- (2) clamps $2
- Sheetrock, sandpaper, tape, mud, screws, touch-up paint, roller, etc. $30
- Wall mount bracket to keep the Tesla cable off the floor $10
Total was about $110.
Less $50 Home Depot Gift Card (from Christmas)
Parts Total $60.

Recommend you also pay the minimum charge to have an electrician check your work and/or make final connections ~$75.

HOWEVER, if my panel box was on the other side of the house (as some people mentioned), I would probably go with a NEMA 14-30. The wire for a 30A circuit is a lot less expensive than for a 50A circuit, and the cost quickly adds up when you are buying lots of wire. The wire you would be using for a 30A circuit is also a lot easier to work with. Also, whether you go with 30A or 50A, you will most likely still have a full charge by 7am. The 30A circuit gives you 216 miles of charge in 12 hours.

Thanks for all the good advice on home installation. Hoping a couple people have thought about on the road (emergency) options with the Model S, dual charger. Is it possible to use the dual changers with 110v each plugged into 2 outlets and decrease charge time? Anyone done the math for this, if it is even possible? Ratios in hours would be good- (2 110v outlets= 20 miles in 1.5 hours vs 1 outlet= 20 miles in 7 hours, etc).

See this thread here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7977-220-charger-from-110-voltage for getting 220 out of two 110s.

You still won't need the second charger, as 220 at 16 amps isn't much.

Depending on where you're located, you might have an easier time finding J1172s at 30 amps. However, there are more J1772s in my home town of less than 30K people than there are in some entire US states!

Thanks for all the good advice on home installation. Hoping a couple people have thought about on the road (emergency) options with the Model S, dual charger. Is it possible to use the dual changers with 110v each plugged into 2 outlets and decrease charge time? Anyone done the math for this, if it is even possible? Ratios in hours would be good- (2 110v outlets= 20 miles in 1.5 hours vs 1 outlet= 20 miles in 7 hours, etc).

No. It's not possible because there is only one charge port, so only one electrical connection can be plugged in at one time. The second charger just allows a higher capacity circuit to be used. See the calculator for details.