Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug In BC Charger Installation Rebates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I’ve had the same question but no information about it. Pluginbc does not accept applications without the contractor form or inspection permit. There is no way around it. I’ve asked many people and they have suggested to ask any contractor to come and look at the work and sign the form if everything looks fine. They will charge for it.
Or you can only submit the receipts for the charger and get rebate on that, maximum 75%. That’s what I did. My application was submitted on June 17 and it’s showing round 1 approval awaited.

Hey, I’ve had the same question but no information about it. Pluginbc does not accept applications without the contractor form or inspection permit. There is no way around it. I’ve asked many people and they have suggested to ask any contractor to come and look at the work and sign the form if everything looks fine. They will charge for it.
Or you can only submit the receipts for the charger and get rebate on that, maximum 75%. That’s what I did. My application was submitted on June 17 and it’s showing round 1 approval awaited.
Thanks for the info. I really only need the rebate on the charger as my neighbour, who is an electrician, is installing it for me. What form did you fill out to just claim the charger?

I intended to get this rebate but I think the way its set up its basically impossible to save money. I ended up installing the charger myself with the help of a friend that is a red seal electrician. Total cost was about $180 plus the charger. The wire was $75, the breaker was $75 and I bought him a case of beer. It took us about an hour to install not including the repair to the drywall. The drywall repair took longer and I decided to paint my garage but I would have to do that even if I paid to have the charger installed. I called several electricians and the cheapest quote was $1500 and they would only install a 40 amp breaker. I had several quotes orders of magnitudes higher and they felt I needed a new service. Several would not even come look without a $150 service fee. The electrician that helped me install did say the panel was pretty full but he looked at everything in the house and felt we would be fine. We installed a 60 amp breaker and I charge at the full 48 amps and it works perfectly. I think a lot of electricians are really taking advantage, even what they charge for the wire is crazy compared to what you can walk in and buy it yourself. In the end the rebate felt predatory to me, felt like a way to rip people off into paying way more than this should cost and dangling the rebate as a carrot, when in the end they are just taking the stick to you.

I intended to get this rebate but I think the way its set up its basically impossible to save money. I ended up installing the charger myself with the help of a friend that is a red seal electrician. Total cost was about $180 plus the charger. The wire was $75, the breaker was $75 and I bought him a case of beer. It took us about an hour to install not including the repair to the drywall. The drywall repair took longer and I decided to paint my garage but I would have to do that even if I paid to have the charger installed. I called several electricians and the cheapest quote was $1500 and they would only install a 40 amp breaker. I had several quotes orders of magnitudes higher and they felt I needed a new service. Several would not even come look without a $150 service fee. The electrician that helped me install did say the panel was pretty full but he looked at everything in the house and felt we would be fine. We installed a 60 amp breaker and I charge at the full 48 amps and it works perfectly. I think a lot of electricians are really taking advantage, even what they charge for the wire is crazy compared to what you can walk in and buy it yourself. In the end the rebate felt predatory to me, felt like a way to rip people off into paying way more than this should cost and dangling the rebate as a carrot, when in the end they are just taking the stick to you.

Did you try the electricians on the Tesla site?

Did you try the electricians on the Tesla site?

I did, but I live in Cloverdale and I don't think they had much interest leaving the city. Everyone I spoke to was professional and courteous but the math just didn't add up. It was pay $2000 to save $750 or do it myself for $180. My installation was dead easy, my panel was right next to where the charger was going. In fairness to working tradesman out there, they have to earn a living and have businesses to run. My installation was so quick and easy it was a perfect side job for a working guy to pick up a few bucks. The requirement for permit and inspection just made that impossible. Installing a charger should be the same as a one room reno that you have an electrician throw up a couple of pot lights.

We are still in the middle of things with the rebate, so I'll write a follow up post once the process is (hopefully) complete.

We applied for a Homeowners Electrical Work Permit, then installed the HPWC, and then the electrical inspector came out and completed an inspection, which we passed. We're just waiting for the official certificate of inspection to come from City Hall now, then we'll mail that in for the rebate, along with the HPWC receipt, supplies receipt, and electrical permit receipt.

The quotes I got from electricians to install the HPWC were between $500-$800.

Same here, I live in Cloverdale and all the installers listed on Tesla website wanted a minimum of $1000 upto one who quoted 2000. To be fair I had to run wire from Basement suite to garage, about 55 feet. I ended up doing it myself and took some help from a certified electrician friend. Overall with wires, breaker, conduit etc it cost me $350 plus 700 for the charger bought from Tesla. I would suggest just to get rebate on the charger, which would be $491.25.

Be advised that when I filed for my rebate today, they have a notice up stating that "Due to high demand, the Home Rebate will close on July 6, 2018 at 5:00pm...".

To complete the application you need to show proof of paid invoices and it took close to a month to get the invoice from our electrician's company. So you may need to apply some pressure to get your invoices and pay them in time.

If you are thinking about applying for this rebate, do it ASAP.

Charging Solutions Incentives - Plug In BC.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Kira
Be advised that when I filed for my rebate today, they have a notice up stating that "Due to high demand, the Home Rebate will close on July 6, 2018 at 5:00pm...".

To complete the application you need to show proof of paid invoices and it took close to a month to get the invoice from our electrician's company. So you may need to apply some pressure to get your invoices and pay them in time.

View attachment 312940

awe crap, that sucks :(

View attachment 312940

Thank you so much for posting this - will be putting in a call to City Hall first thing in the morning to see if they've mailed out our certificate of inspection or if we can go pick it up.

View attachment 312940

Crap. Was looking into getting this done, but no way I can get everything done by July 6, 2018.

you can only submit the receipts for the charger and get rebate on that, maximum 75%. That’s what I did. My application was submitted on June 17 and it’s showing round 1 approval awaited.

I didn't think that was an option. Considering you need to have an electrical contract or certificate of inspection as a requirement.

I didn't think that was an option. Considering you need to have an electrical contract or certificate of inspection as a requirement.

I did submit the contractor form but I did not submit any parts of labour receipts. Just submitted invoice for the charger. The form was filled out by a friend who’s a licensed electrician.

I did submit the contractor form but I did not submit any parts of labour receipts. Just submitted invoice for the charger. The form was filled out by a friend who’s a licensed electrician.
Thanks for the information. In that case couldn't you have submitted the supplies/parts as well for reimbursement?

As for ordering the wall charger, I assume you ordered it online? how long did it take to ship and arrive?

Thanks for the information. In that case couldn't you have submitted the supplies/parts as well for reimbursement?

As for ordering the wall charger, I assume you ordered it online? how long did it take to ship and arrive?

Yes I ordered on March 30th and was delivered on June 6.

I read on the website that they will not cover cost of wires and parts so that’s why I didn’t submit those. July 6th is the last day they will accept applications so you should submit everything before that.